Ikon Shavecraft Tech

Matt0210

hey all, I recently heard about this razor from watching Geofatboy on YouTube. I already have an R41 but am looking for something more aggressive. Has anyone used this razor?

celestino

Forum GOD!
It isn't more aggressive, but it is a 'smoother' shaver. However, if you need something more aggressive than the R41, then you need to start using straights, shavettes, or the Feather Single Edge type razors. You won't find anything more aggressive than these.
Good luck.

Last edited:

The Gentleman

Forum GOD!
I have both iKon Tech and R41 (2013) and I like the Tech more. They're both efficient but I get better shaves with the Tech. It's not very smooth during the shave and you could definetly feel the blade, but the result is very good. I like mine very much.

Matt0210

Thanks for the replies. If it’s not a noticeable difference then I’m not going to get it. I like my R41 so it would have to be night and day for me to buy it. Hard to replace the R41

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
How does the Tech compare to the SB Deluxe?
It was quite early on in my journey that I tried the SB and from memory it was aggressive! If the Tech is more so, then OMG i is a skin peeler!

Fidelis

Forum GOD!
I have both the Mühle R41, the Shavecraft Tech and the iKon B1 Standard. The Shavecraft Tech is (to me) noticeable more aggressive than the R41 (2013 model), I would say the iKon B1 Standard is more aggressive too, but less so than the Tech, also it feels less rough to me than the Tech. The R41 and the iKon B1 Standard are both smooth and very effective shavers to me. Another razor which I regard more aggressive than the R41 is the Charcoal OC Level 3.

pbrmhl

Some of my favorite DE razors are the R41 2011, Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb and Ikon Shavecraft Tech. On my face, the Ikon Tech is the most aggressive, with the most significant blade feel. All three are extremely efficient. I believe the Ikon Tech should meet the OP's goal.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Thread revival!

Just to put in a few thoughts of my own. For the experienced shaver, who doesn't mind a little bit of blade feel and/or forward feeling blade, the IKON Shavecraft Tech as an efficient feeling shaver is a tough razor to beat. If the shave is performed with some time and patience it will reward one with perhaps one of the best close cut shaves that a man can give himself with a safety razor or any razor to be honest. You don't need The Barber of Seville skill to master it, just sound technique and not be in a rush. Good prep especially a slick, cushiony and well hydrated lather to give nice residual slickness and glide for the razor. The results will speak for themselves.
The only drawback that I have encountered with the Tech is with prolonged growth or when I haven't shaved in over 4 days as I encounter just a bit of the razor skipping or deflecting off of the stubble. And I attribute that to the blade not being locked in as solidly as say a Timeless or the PAA EVO SS where the blade is virtually fully supported and held vise like in the razor. Other than that caveat, for me, it's a must have razor for those that chase the baby with a more aggressive/efficient working razor. A superb 2 pass razor that has very, very few challengers in the safety razor world........

C85FCD2E-AAD6-47E5-A918-EABA5EB60230.jpeg

Last edited:

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
Thread revival!

Just to put in a few thoughts of my own. For the experienced shaver, who doesn't mind a little bit of blade feel and/or forward feeling blade, the IKON Shavecraft Tech as an efficient feeling shaver is a tough razor to beat. If the shave is performed with some time and patience it will reward one with perhaps one of the best close cut shaves that a man can give himself with a safety razor or any razor to be honest. You don't need The Barber of Seville skill to master it, just sound technique and not be in a rush. Good prep especially a slick, cushiony and well hydrated lather to give nice residual slickness and glide for the razor. The results will speak for themselves.
The only drawback that I have encountered with the Tech is with prolonged growth or when I haven't shaved in over 4 days as I encounter just a bit of the razor skipping or deflecting off of the stubble. And I attribute that to the blade not being locked in as solidly as say a Timeless or the PAA EVO SS where the blade is virtually fully supported and held vise like in the razor. Other than that caveat, for me, it's a must have razor for those that chase the baby with a more aggressive/efficient working razor. A superb 2 pass razor that has very, very few challengers in the safety razor world........

View attachment 40786
"a little bit of blade feel"? Trying not to laugh.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
"a little bit of blade feel"? Trying not to laugh.
Well, sorta could be an understatement I guess but, there is a range where you can adjust the blade feel a bit so as it’s not as blade forward feeling. I mean, ride the cap a bit and it feels pretty good. Get it closer to a neutral position or closer to the guard and you feel more blade yet, both are still doable and somewhat comfy. Perhaps since I do straight shave the blade feel is not as much a factor for me as it is for others. Is it a blade forward feeling shave? Of course but, like I said with good technique and a light touch, it’s a very good razor for the experienced shaver. I’ve seen some of those vintage razors that you possess and a couple of them have some pretty decent blade reveal, it’s just a matter of adjustment and touch. It works for me and it’s a keeper since it looks like these won’t be around for quite a while...

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
Well, sorta could be an understatement I guess but, there is a range where you can adjust the blade feel a bit so as it’s not as blade forward feeling. I mean, ride the cap a bit and it feels pretty good. Get it closer to a neutral position or closer to the guard and you feel more blade yet, both are still doable and somewhat comfy. Perhaps since I do straight shave the blade feel is not as much a factor for me as it is for others. Is it a blade forward feeling shave? Of course but, like I said with good technique and a light touch, it’s a very good razor for the experienced shaver. I’ve seen some of those vintage razors that you possess and a couple of them have some pretty decent blade reveal, it’s just a matter of adjustment and touch. It works for me and it’s a keeper since it looks like these won’t be around for quite a while...
Blade reveal is different from exposure. I doubt any of those comes close to the Ikon in exposure.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Blade reveal is different from exposure. I doubt any of those comes close to the Ikon in exposure.
Perhaps, you might be right and I’ll concede to that. But, you still make the adjustment from razor to razor on that blade feel and reveal in relation to exposure and the bevel of the blade (grind) and how much of it you want in contact with your skin. Blade Reveal and Blade Exposure are not as far apart as we think.

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
Perhaps, you might be right and I’ll concede to that. But, you still make the adjustment from razor to razor on that blade feel and reveal in relation to exposure and the bevel of the blade (grind) and how much of it you want in contact with your skin. Blade Reveal and Blade Exposure are not as far apart as we think.
I don't think we think Blade Reveal and Exposure are far apart, they simply measure different things. Blade reveal doesn't stick you, exposure does.

When you have drastic exposure, as in the Ikon Tech, you keep blade feel regardless of the angle of attack because of the sheer amount of blade extending beyond the shave plane. The guard bar was Greg's idea of a joke. I have no other razor that rivals the Ikon in blade feel. Since it has no unusual blade reveal, that is primarily a function of its extremely short guard span.

Last edited:

Fidelis

Forum GOD!
Thread revival!

View attachment 40786
Agree :thumbsup:

Hell of a razor ✓
Lots of blade feel ✓
Needs a sound technique and light touch ✓
But... can deliver amazing shaves ✓
:okay: