Identification please....

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
Is one a Muhle? Maybe the standard R89?

But what's the Gillette?

Answers on a postcard please.

EDIT forgot to add the pics. Can't add them now so will put them in the next topic.

PS. On reflection I think the finish on the modern one isn't good enough for a Muhle
 
Last edited:

Dr Watson

James
The Gillette is a Tech, likely 1950's... Probably brass but sometimes aluminium (only you can tell) the Zamak one's came a decade later I think. The other head looks a bit too scruffy for Muhle or Merkur, there are lots of clones coming out of China, I would guess its one of those judging by the finish... That would never leave the Muhle factory and I've not seen one that rough from Merkur yet either (though they have had a few shockers.)
 

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
Ta for the quick reply. Doctor.

Now you've said it, it looks and feels like aluminium. Can now see it's one of the. very many, Techs
The top cap has the diamond around the "Gillette" with an arrow pointing to the right.

And the more I look at the other one I see how rough it is. The top cap isn't so bad but the bottom plate is dreadfully made.
 
Last edited:

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
To conclude ... it turns out I was gifted an undated Aluminium Tech base plate of English descent + a matching top cap which could either be chromed brass or (less likely perhaps) chromed Zamak. They may, or may not, have formed a complete set when new. I don't have the handle as we speak.

I was also sent a genuine Merkur 1904 handle plus a head that, had it been a proper Merkur one, would have paired with the 1904 handle to form Merkur 42C. Except the quality of the head is so poor it's more likely NOT to be Merkur.

Sorted and thanks to the venerable Doctor for the assistance.
 
Top