I am not a dinosaur!

chazt

shave
In the last few months I have been expanding my shaving experience. Previously, I was convinced that unscented was my bag. Probably some 95% of my shaves included unscented soap and plain witch hazel. Sure, once in the proverbial blue moon a scented soap found its way into my daily routine, but hardly ever. Less often than that I whipped out the Clubman, but again, hardly ever.

Then one day, this must have been back in October or November last year - it was definitely pre-pandemic, I was shopping in my local independent pharmacy and saw a bottle of Fine’s American Blend on the shelf. I asked the owner if he’d mind me opening the package for a sniff, and he said it’d be ok. It seemed vaguely acceptable so I brought it home. A month or so later I bought a bottle of P-Red aftershave splash. It was the only Proraso Red line product I’d not tried. While the soap, cream and pre/post cream were some of the only scented products I enjoyed, the AS splash just blew my mind even more. It’s now my considered opinion btw, that the splash is my preferred P-Red product. It seems less intense.

Ok, “So now I’m an aftershave guy,” I thought. Sometime well into the pandemic lockdown, Bullgoose held a software sale. Wth. Lemme spend some cash. I’m glad I did. I’m now also enjoying the hell out of DRH soaps, Swiss Pitralon, Fine’s Santal Absolut and Snake Bite aftershaves. Unscented shaves are a distant memory.

Today for the first time ever I used a shim in a particular Tech that never made me smile. Holy shim shave, Batman! What a difference! The razor was improved remarkably. It was much more efficient and left me with zero irritation on my lower neck. I’m sold on the concept and will be trying it in other razors over the next few weeks.

Seems I’m capable of increasing my horizons after all. I wonder. What’s next?
 

chazt

shave
A cheaper adjustable Like parker variant can stop your dangerous Liasions with sharp objects and will let you know how far is too far.
Funny you mention adjustables. I have a long handle Super Adjustable that’s been longing for a return to active duty. Maybe when I’m done having shim fun we’ll become reacquainted. One of the hazards of owning some two dozen razors is that some inevitably become relegated to relative obscurity. Makes one ponder thinning the herd..
 

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
Funny you mention adjustables. ...................... owning some two dozen razors is that some inevitably become relegated to relative obscurity. Makes one ponder thinning the herd..
While I am in favor and definitely going to jump with both legs into something that gives me pleasure. But faced with predicament of having too many is easy deal here. I tend to roll my eyes so hard that I can see my brain inside. Then I re-read the writing on wall and 'thinning the herd' magically auto corrects as 'culling the herd'. Easy peasy!!
Jokes aside, I brought up the Variant because unlike Gillette the mechanism on Variant can work as incrementally as thickness of a nickel plating. It has no 'clicks' and one may adjust anywhere between the numbered indents on faceplate.
On a side note, shimming is something I consider not for aggressiveness but to increase blade rigidity. When on some razors (esp those pot metal heads) top cap does not get coupled well with base plate the blade tend to get into a load-cut-ping-load-cut-ping situation, then this pinging is what causes an uncomfortable shave due to a wobbly blade. For this reason, CNC turned razors tend to perform better. At least this is my understanding in this regard. Like you I am also thinking new and it seems logical that instead of chasing bees knees in $300 razors perhaps I should give a try to GEM open combs.
Happy shaves.
 

chazt

shave
While I am in favor and definitely going to jump with both legs into something that gives me pleasure. But faced with predicament of having too many is easy deal here. I tend to roll my eyes so hard that I can see my brain inside. Then I re-read the writing on wall and 'thinning the herd' magically auto corrects as 'culling the herd'. Easy peasy!!
Jokes aside, I brought up the Variant because unlike Gillette the mechanism on Variant can work as incrementally as thickness of a nickel plating. It has no 'clicks' and one may adjust anywhere between the numbered indents on faceplate.
On a side note, shimming is something I consider not for aggressiveness but to increase blade rigidity. When on some razors (esp those pot metal heads) top cap does not get coupled well with base plate the blade tend to get into a load-cut-ping-load-cut-ping situation, then this pinging is what causes an uncomfortable shave due to a wobbly blade. For this reason, CNC turned razors tend to perform better. At least this is my understanding in this regard. Like you I am also thinking new and it seems logical that instead of chasing bees knees in $300 razors perhaps I should give a try to GEM open combs.
Happy shaves.
And you! Thanks for the tip re: Parker. Infinitely variable mechanisms are on my ‘someday’ list.

Despite sampling perhaps a dozen GEM and Ever-Ready razors I find GEM blades too unforgiving. The only one I’ve kept is a beautiful MMOC set that my wife discovered in an antique shop years ago. Haven’t used it in a very long time. On the other hand I like injectors very much. Perhaps it’s the extra mass of the larger blade that doesn’t agree with me. No matter. I’m a very happy shaver nonetheless.
 
Top