I am currently reading ...

Francorelli

Forum fella
If you stick with it and end up enjoying it, I'd recommend seeing if you can find How the Marquis Got His Coat Back. A story Gaiman wrote about the Marquis de Carabas (my favorite character) for the short story collection Rogues edited by George RR Martin.
Thanks for the tip. I'll persevere with Neverwhere.

wazza

a dog got personality
I've wanted to read this for a while, mainly due to not knowing much about him. Currently I'm only a couple of chapters in and its already very interesting. I found it shocking that he doesn't trust women, not even his wife, which I though was odd as I assumed he'd be quite liberal in his views considering where he ended up after the Nation of Islam.
IMG_8679.jpg

Reading this baby book as my little boy refused to sleep in the day and was recommended this by a friend.
I've been working away for two weeks and I've come back to a napping baby, brilliant book. It's all been down to the wife as its all her doing.
IMG_8680.jpg

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Re-reading "The Old Devils" by Kingsley Amis, which is really in a class of it's own. Not just among his novels, but among the half dozen great 20th century novels. The remembrance of things passed seems to "get" me more than anything else. "Something Happened" by Joseph Heller is another one. Still, the "old" folk in The Old Devils would not be old by today's standard. I think the oldest character is 65, which most folk wouldn't even regard as middle aged today.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin. At over 5000 pages expect this to be my answer for a while!

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I'm finding Gyles Brandreth's diaries very entertaining. The people he managed to meet (through his own efforts and enthusiasm) at such an early age was quite extraordinary and his perception and self-awareness likewise.

LeeBot

Forum GOD!
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin. At over 5000 pages expect this to be my answer for a while!
I started on those when I went to Cyprus last July and by the start of December I'd read every one of them. Page turning stuff and quite interesting to see the divergences the TV show takes and what and who it has left out.

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I'm finding Gyles Brandreth's diaries very entertaining. The people he managed to meet (through his own efforts and enthusiasm) at such an early age was quite extraordinary and his perception and self-awareness likewise.
I found them really entertaining too. He's features quite a bit in the later Kenneth Williams diaries as well.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I found them really entertaining too. He's features quite a bit in the later Kenneth Williams diaries as well.
That's a good point, I must get the KW book. KW features a lot in the Brandreth diaries as well - not always in a good light, particularly if he was not the centre of attention.

R181

Grumpy old man
I like WWII books done from a personal pov. Just picked up Luftwaffe Fighter Ace by Norbert Hanning. Be interesting to see how his experiences compare to that of Erich "Bubi" Hartmann that I read about a long time ago. Always interested in the view from the other side.

Bob