I am currently reading ...

S

Shaun

Gray Mountain - John Grisham - paperback
Donovan Gray is ruthless and fearless.
Just the kind of lawyer you need, deep in small-town Appalachia.

Samantha Kofer is a world away from her former life at New York's biggest law firm. If she is going to survive in coal country, she needs to start learning fast.

Because as Donovan knows only too well, the mountains have their own laws. And standing up for the truth means putting your life on the line ...
I've read and enjoyed quite a few Grisham's, but tend to intersperse them with other authors as the legal theme can be a bit much when run back-to-back. :happy:

51y877eHgyL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg

Laage

Forum GOD!
Audiobook on phone/in car: The Creative Thinker's Toolkit: A series of lectures about the nature of creativity and how to improve your own creative output.
According to the latest scientific research, anyone can be creative. You just have to know how to think creatively, which involves taking a more imaginative approach to the challenges we all face. Learn how to wield the same research-based tools that today's creative people use and tap into your inner creative thinker with Professor Puccio's engaging 24-lecture series that takes you step-by-step through the creative-thinking process.

E-book on tablet/phone: Like a Boss by Adam Rakunas. Second book in the Windswept series. I really enjoyed the first book, Windswept, and Like a Boss is just as good thus far.
In this breathless and hilarious followup to Windswept, former labor organiser Padma’s worst nightmare comes true: she gets yanked out of early retirement. After buying her favourite rum distillery and settling down, she thought she’d heard the last of her arch nemesis, Evanrute Saarien...
Paperback at home: Cruel and Unusual by Patricia Cornwell. Book four in the Kay Scarpetta series. I found a number of these used and have been dipping into the series somewhat randomly.
“Killing me won’t kill the beast” are the last words of rapist-murderer Ronnie Joe Waddell, written four days before his execution. But they can’t explain how medical examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta finds Waddell’s fingerprints on another crime scene—after she’d performed his autopsy.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
The Ambler Warning - Robert Ludlum.
I've not read RL books for quite a while and remembering what I had read is difficult. I'm a third of the way through and I think I have already read it!:oops:

Previously just finished The Janson Directive - good story but very very descriptive at times and I really CBA with that!

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Why Orwell Matters - Christopher Hitchens.

Since his death I've been reading a lot of Hitchens' stuff and particularly like his criticisms of the likes of Henry Kissinger, both the Clintons and Mother Teresa. He appeared as the devil's advocate in the process of beatification of Mother T - that alone is well worth a read, it's called Missionary Position from memory.

Laage

Forum GOD!
Why Orwell Matters - Christopher Hitchens.

Since his death I've been reading a lot of Hitchens' stuff and particularly like his criticisms of the likes of Henry Kissinger, both the Clintons and Mother Teresa. He appeared as the devil's advocate in the process of beatification of Mother T - that alone is well worth a read, it's called Missionary Position from memory.
I read God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything a couple of years ago, and I've had Missionary Position on my to-read shelf for quite some time.

Dante,s inferno for me. Quite heavy going as it is in classical italian but I do love his plays
I bought a gorgeous version of the Longfellow translation of the Divine Comedy with illustrations by Gustave Doré last year, and it's been mocking me from the shelf ever since.

wazza

a dog got personality
Only tough in that it's classical Italian text but an good English translated book would be OK!
Ah okay, so you're reading it in Italian. I thought you meant as it was translated from classical Italian. My bad. I'll stick to the translated version.

Laage

Forum GOD!
Finished Like a Boss this weekend. Highly recommended, but start with Windswept if you haven't read t

Started Engraved on the Eye (the kindle version is free) by Saladin Ahmed, a collection of his short fiction.
Stories to Captivate the Imagination: Welcome to the worlds of Saladin Ahmed

A medieval physician asked to do the impossible. A gun slinging Muslim wizard in the old West. A disgruntled super villain pining for prison reform. A cybernetic soldier who might or might not be receiving messages from God. Prepare yourself to be transported to new and fantastical worlds.

Last edited:

Francorelli

Forum fella
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Imaginative writing and a great premise, but for some reason I'm just not finding it compelling.

I like a bit of urban fantasy and I can't help compare this to the similarly themed and very enjoyable Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch.

halvor

a most elusive fish
The testament of Mary, by Colm Tóibín.

Don't ask me about it, because I just picked it up. I have never been much of a church goer, but I am religious in my own way. More importantly, the biblical stories and history are interesting precisely as that. This one is Toibin's take on the story told from the perspective of a (modern?) mother.

Laage

Forum GOD!
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Imaginative writing and a great premise, but for some reason I'm just not finding it compelling.

I like a bit of urban fantasy and I can't help compare this to the similarly themed and very enjoyable Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch.
I'm a great fan of Neverwhere myself, but one should not forget that there's 15 years between that and Rivers of London. Besides it started life as a TV-series and Gaiman then wrote his own novelisation of the script.
If you stick with it and end up enjoying it, I'd recommend seeing if you can find How the Marquis Got His Coat Back. A story Gaiman wrote about the Marquis de Carabas (my favorite character) for the short story collection Rogues edited by George RR Martin.