How to avoid getting ingrown hairs

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
I had never considered a more aggressive razor before. I’m willing to try that. Any suggestions? Rockwell 6S, Merkur Futur?
Tough one as we are all different. Rockwell, if you’ve been eyeing that one anyway, I guess you could still use the lower plates if the „aggro“ experiment fails.

If it weren‘t a bit troublesome to get hold of, I would have to say that the Yates razor with M baseplate could very well be the smoothest way to an efficient result that I have come by.

But since it‘s just an experiment to begin with, why not try something affordable like a Fatip?
 
Last edited:

SammieM

Forum GOD!
Have you tried a preshave glycerine soap? Might be worth a try. Just wet your face, rub the soap. Lather with fingers. Make your lather with the shaving soap, wipe the excess soap of your face and lather normally with the brush. It leave a film of glycerine and that helps with protection and the glide of the blade. The aforementioned suggestions are great and I would use them too... They also have ingrown hair treatment that you can find in ethnic stores. That might be worth a try too.
 

mantic59

Forum GOD!
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m guessing you don’t think a cold water shave will work?

I’ll try two XTG passes next time (in opposite directions.)

You may be on to something with the alcohol splash, I’m coming out in spots on my cheeks and I think it’s because of my TOBS splash.
A cold water shave is certainly worth trying. Personally I don't find them particularly comfortable but YMMV.

Another thought would be to use a continuously-variable adjustable razor (Merkur Progress, Parker Variant, Weishi Nostalgic Adjustable, etc.) and try different settings for your neck. Admittedly that might be over-fussy but I'm a big fan of adjustable razors. :)
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yep twice a day, morning and night. To be honest I haven't checked the recommended use, I have oily skin so been using it in this manner for around 5 years now. The fresh skin is very rough but blemish control is easier on the skin IMO.
 

Arora

Über Member
Yep twice a day, morning and night. To be honest I haven't checked the recommended use, I have oily skin so been using it in this manner for around 5 years now. The fresh skin is very rough but blemish control is easier on the skin IMO.
I have oily skin too. I’ll start using the scrub everyday and go from there as I already have the blemish control.
 

Arora

Über Member
A cold water shave is certainly worth trying. Personally I don't find them particularly comfortable but YMMV.

Another thought would be to use a continuously-variable adjustable razor (Merkur Progress, Parker Variant, Weishi Nostalgic Adjustable, etc.) and try different settings for your neck. Admittedly that might be over-fussy but I'm a big fan of adjustable razors. :)
I’ll try all these other suggestions first and then see if I need an adjustable. I think between exfoliating everyday and doing two XTG passes I should be ok, but I’ll see soon enough.
 

vartik

Head shaver
I’ll try all these other suggestions first and then see if I need an adjustable. I think between exfoliating everyday and doing two XTG passes I should be ok, but I’ll see soon enough.
If you really have sensitive skin, than exfoliating every day is probably too much. I can't even imagine how tough skin @Nishy have since he can handle using exfoliating scrub 2 times a day :eek: This is very YMMV thing so you can try and see for yourself :wink: Also, shaving itself is exfoliating.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yes apologies should add increase exfoliation gradually and assess the results if any. Exfoliating before a shave is my preferred method.
 

Arora

Über Member
Yes apologies should add increase exfoliation gradually and assess the results if any. Exfoliating before a shave is my preferred method.
I exfoliate 12 hours after shaving. I’ll see if my skin can handle exfoliating with that scrub everyday. Like you my skin is very oily but I’m not sure it’s made of strong enough stuff to handle the abuse.
 

Arora

Über Member
Be cautious about over-exfoliating. Too much can cause a rebound effect and make matters worse.
I’ll gradually build up and see if my skin can handle exfoliating everyday.

I have quite a few days of beard growth and all my ingrown hairs have now risen above the surface. I’m going to wait until the scars from the spots disappear before I shave again. In the meantime I’ll exfoliate and monitor my skin.
 

Arora

Über Member
If you really have sensitive skin, than exfoliating every day is probably too much. I can't even imagine how tough skin @Nishy have since he can handle using exfoliating scrub 2 times a day :eek: This is very YMMV thing so you can try and see for yourself :wink: Also, shaving itself is exfoliating.
His face must be made of granite!

It’s annoying because I never have trouble with hair on my face. It’s just the lower region of my neck which gives me bother.
 

Arora

Über Member
Tried the two XTG passes today. Irritation free but, as I suspected, it was not close enough at all.

I’m not sure if a more aggressive razor than my AS-D2 would solve the problem but I’m open to suggestions. I’m not demanding BBS but at the moment it just looks like I forgot to shave my lower neck.
 
Top