How long can I make it last?

Xring3

Forum GOD!
I think on January 1, 2020 I will put a new 5 blade cartridge in my Schick razor just to see how many shaves I can get out of it. I do plan on trying to extend its life by sharpening it using denim with a small amount of talcum powder. I shave every day so I’m not really concerned about whisker clogging. I’ll post updates as I go along.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I’ll be interested to see the number of comfortable shaves you can have with a cartridge. I use a Mach3 every day and have found that usually I can get only 7 comfortable, close shaves from the same cartridge even if I strop it, either on the back of my forearm or on the Razzorpit; on occasion I have had 10 shaves from the same cartridge, but that’s unusual; if i push a cartridge too far irritation increases exponentially and closeness suffers.

R181

Grumpy old man
A friend of mine who is of Italian descent claims he uses the same cart razor for 3 months. To say I was and still am a bit incredulous about his claim is a bit of an understatement. When I was using carts about 7 shaves was the limit for me.

Bob

slapo

It's... alive!
A friend of mine who is of Italian descent claims he uses the same cart razor for 3 months. To say I was and still am a bit incredulous about his claim is a bit of an understatement. When I was using carts about 7 shaves was the limit for me.

Bob
What's his facial hair like?

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
I used my Gillette cartridge for 3-4 weeks. Now I understand the dull blades were the reason for less irritating shaves and less close shaves.

Xring3

Forum GOD!
I will add that my whiskers are probably not like wire. I do prep with a hot wet wash rag and use shave butter or some of my homemade beard oil. I also lather at least twice and sometimes three times. My wife also checks each shave for smoothness.

Xring3

Forum GOD!
Noticed while shaving the morning a slight bit of drag. Still close with no stubbles, nicks or discomfort. Decided to sharpen on a piece of denim and see what tomorrow brings.