How do your blades die?

Whitehair

Über Member
As TobyC says the first shave on a blade is never the best.
start with feather in mildest razor (tech) use for 7 shaves move to Redtip, feels like a new blade. Shave for 7 days
move blade to Gillette NEW for a week. Wow feels like a new blade.
keep going tI’ll you run out of razors.

TobyC

Patriot
As TobyC says the first shave on a blade is never the best.
start with feather in mildest razor (tech) use for 7 shaves move to Redtip, feels like a new blade. Shave for 7 days
move blade to Gillette NEW for a week. Wow feels like a new blade.
keep going tI’ll you run out of razors.
Or just put it in a Piccolo and shave for a good long while without having to open the razor at all! :dance:

One timers miss out on the best shaves a blade has to offer.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Having been an advocate of the 'they are cheap so bin early' theory I have since changed my mind. BIG time changed my mind. @TobyC is right. The first shave on a blade is never the best. I only really use Nacets, Polsilver SI and med preps now and still get excellent shaves up to around 6/8 outings. I tend to bin them then even if they are showing no signs of degrading. Is this perhaps why some advocate hand stropping new blades before that first use?

TobyC

Patriot
Having been an advocate of the 'they are cheap so bin early' theory I have since changed my mind. BIG time changed my mind. @TobyC is right. The first shave on a blade is never the best. I only really use Nacets, Polsilver SI and med preps now and still get excellent shaves up to around 6/8 outings. I tend to bin them then even if they are showing no signs of degrading. Is this perhaps why some advocate hand stropping new blades before that first use?
Another shaver has seen the light! 😉

Could be why some hand strop, or "cork" them, I just use them and let the blade break in on it's own. Like new shoes, gotta wear 'em some before they're comfortable. :)

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
Another shaver has seen the light! 😉

Could be why some hand strop, or "cork" them, I just use them and let the blade break in on it's own. Like new shoes, gotta wear 'em some before they're comfortable. :)
I'm another one for starting off a blade in a mild razor then moving the blade into a more efficient razor. Well, all my razors are very mild but they start off really mild (Souplex Bakelite), then end up in few Techs via an Old Type; something which I've done with a Bic blade over the last week or so and the 9th shave with the blade was easily the most smooth, comfortable and enjoyable.

TobyC

Patriot
I'm another one for starting off a blade in a mild razor then moving the blade into a more efficient razor. Well, all my razors are very mild but they start off really mild (Souplex Bakelite), then end up in few Techs via an Old Type; something which I've done with a Bic blade over the last week or so and the 9th shave with the blade was easily the most smooth, comfortable and enjoyable.
Fantastic! :highfive:

razorhead63

Forum GOD!
I use my blades for as long as they're cutting the whiskers.
A little bit of tugginess doesn't bother me. I just hack through the stubble.
My technique helps with that......
I get 6 or 7 shaves from my lower tier blades and usually over 10 from my better ones.
When the blades not cutting at all despite my efforts then I toss it.