How do you clean your DE razors ?

Lem2510

Guru
Hi guys

I am wondering how you clean your DE or SE razors.
On my side I am cleaning them with toothpaste maybe once a month. But I noticed that my Hone15a (aluminium) is starting to get some white marks.
Thanks for your remarks

S

Steve Bowles

I clean mine with every blade change. I soak them in washing-up liquid, and use a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove any crud. As I am the only one using them, and I keep them away from @Wayne, I don't worry too much about bacteria, or other creepy crawlies.

brandaves

Über Member
Warm water, a toothbrush and Dawn soap is usually sufficient. For first cleaning of vintage razors or exceptionally cruddy ones I'll soak in Scrubbing Bubbles spray and include an ultrasonic cleaning as well as a quick soak in Barbercide.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I'd say once a year I might take my razors and give them a bath in Dawn Dishwashing liquid and boiling hot water. I'll then scrub them with a toothbrush to get anything that won't come off by itself. Then I'll buff them with some Blue Magic metal polish. Works well. I'm shaving once every 3 days on average so my razors aren't seeing tons of use. And after each shave I take the razor apart, rinse it down with hot water and buff it with a towel. So they really don't have much opportunity to build up any meaningful crud.

Last edited:

Razorman

Forum GOD!
For daily maintenance I just take it apart and wipe it dry with a microfiber towel. For vintage razors when I first get them, I soak them in soapy solution for at least 15 min, then scrub them toothpaste on toothbrush, followed by a round or two on the ultrasonic cleaner.

TobyC

Patriot
For daily maintenance I just take it apart and wipe it dry with a microfiber towel. For vintage razors when I first get them, I soak them in soapy solution for at least 15 min, then scrub them toothpaste on toothbrush, followed by a round or two on the ultrasonic cleaner.
For vintage razors when I first get them, I soak them in soapy water overnight.

brandaves

Über Member
Ah, scrubbing bubbles, I don't even need to look before I know you are from across the "Pond".
You don't have Scrubbing Bubbles across the "Pond"? It does a nice job of removing soap scum if the razor has gummed up insides. I don't use it all the time, only when it is necessary.

Lem2510

Guru
You don't have Scrubbing Bubbles across the "Pond"? It does a nice job of removing soap scum if the razor has gummed up insides. I don't use it all the time, only when it is necessary.
We do 😉, just find them abrasive specially on my aluminium razor.