Hot towels?

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
I've seen a few SOTDs that mentioned their use and wondered how it was done. Microwave in the bathroom/shaving area? Fast run from the kitchen? Solar panels??

Just curious really and wondering if it's a goer for me.

Thanks

steve
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I tried it, dampen them then microwave. Found though that my usual long hot shower worked better/easier
 

motto

Forum GOD!
For me a hot towel as a pre shave treatment is primary a set up I use during winter.
I just soak the towel in really hot water directly from the tap and wring it firmly before using it on my face. Softens the stubble nicely and is calms the skin before shaving.
On hot summer days, I use a cold towel treatment from time to time.
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I always shave after a hot shower. If for some reason I could not shower first I would just splash some hot water on my face before going through my ablutions.
 

Nisse

Old geezer
Hot towels: a nice add-on in the barber shop but for me trying it at home was just messy so after a week I gave up.
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
How big is your mansion?
I was also going to add that I will never run all the way downstairs to the kitchen just to warm up a towel in the microwave. At most I would run the towel under hot tap water and use that. And I don't live in a mansion. It's only about 3,000 sq. ft.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I was also going to add that I will never run all the way downstairs to the kitchen just to warm up a towel in the microwave. At most I would run the towel under hot tap water and use that. And I don't live in a mansion. It's only about 3,000 sq. ft.
Like 278 square meters? And it is not big? It is big man! Mine is 90 square meters!

If I were you I would have emptied a room to fill it with shaving stuff!
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Well, it's comfortable for us. But just as a means of comparison, my childhood friend has a house that is 15,500 sq. ft. on 5 acres. My house is on a 50 ft. x 100 ft. lot, or 5,000 sq. ft. So his 5 acre lot is 217,800 sq. ft. It's all relative I guess. Our attic is not finished and I would like to finish that off to give us 4 floors of living area. Basically the living area is on the first floor (living room, dining room, kitchen, sun porch/breakfast nook and 1/2 bath). The second floor is 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. The basement is the man/woman cave (depends on who's using it at the time) containing an area for drums and bass, an elliptical machine, a universal weight machine and a living area with sound system, large screen TV and albums for listening pleasure, laundry, 1/2 bath and the rest is boiler room and storage and garage for one car. I'd put one large open room up in the attic and use it as a home office/study. I think that would get us up to about 3,250 sq. ft. It might be a bit much for three of us but I think it will help immensely when it comes time to sell. Gee, I went WAAAAAAYYY off topic.
 

junipertar

Forum GOD!
I'm sure it adds to the experience, but it would be too much work for me. Besides, my beard is not too coarse, face lathering is enough prep for me.
 

G_man

Forum GOD!
I was also using hot towel some time ago. As someone mentioned, I too would just wet it with hot water and wring it and apply it as such.

But I stopped using it, as it didn't add that much to the shave quality. I have tough whiskers, but I found that with lather that is slick as it gets and with proper angle (for me it is close to riding the cap), I really have no problem with tugging, which I previously thought was from whiskers not being soften enough.

On the other hand, I am a face latherer and because I would start with rather dry brush (I would wring most water out), I have to spend enough time with lather on my face, that IT would soften the beard.

As for hot towel, I had a feeling many times that it would make my skin too sensitive..

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
 

watchiekong

Forum GOD!
Tried the hot towels experience. Tbh, it was too much of a bother. I was happy shaving without hot towels and after joining Atg, I'm still happy with the performance of my shaving routine without the towels.
 
Top