Hong Kong

R181

Grumpy old man
Well, I think anyone who was a realist when Hong Kong was returned to the PRC thought the One Nation, two systems approach would last forever. I'm surprised it lasted this long as I do not see the PRC putting up with the current situation. I'd hate to be anyone in Hong Kong now.

Bob

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Sooner or later they'll probably storm in and level everything, although 'analysts' predict differently, citing many changes in the global media/exposure environment since Tiananmen.

Did Rob @Blackmass take summer holidays this year in HKG?

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Sooner or later they'll probably storm in and level everything, although 'analysts' predict differently, citing many changes in the global media/exposure environment since Tiananmen.

Did Rob @Blackmass take summer holidays this year in HKG?
No mate, not me. I haven’t been on holiday for years. After buying all this shaving gear and my Hi-Fi set I’ve no money left. Laffin!:happy:

Joking aside. I do fancy Rome next year.

R181

Grumpy old man
That is exactly why the civil unrest has gone on so long in Hong Kong so far. I doubt the PRC has much patience left though and will revert to tried and true methods used in the past.

Bob

R181

Grumpy old man
There is an alternative narrative, which may be worth consideration - The protests, started in June, were against a law that would have allowed criminal extraditions to Taiwan, Macao and mainland China. The law was retracted and the large protests have since died down. What is left are a few thousand students who, as advertised in a New York Times op-ed, intentionally seek to provoke the police with "marginal violence". There are rumors that some Hong Kong oligarchs were originally behind the protests to prevent their extradition for questionable deals they made in China. China's president Xi Jingpin is waging a campaign against corruption and Hong Kong is a target rich environment for fighting that crime.
The former British colony is ruled by a handful of oligarchs who have monopolies in the housing, electricity, trade and transport markets. So lots of vested interests in ensuring any extradition law is killed at birth...
Really does not matter who or why there are these protests. I don't think the PRC likes this sort of thing to go on for any reason.

Bob

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
This is very sad for me as I was born in HK and lived and worked there after university. I lived through the Cultural Revolution, which was very messy indeed and extraordinarily scarey. I haven’t been back in many years, although 3years ago we almost went there when we were in China; now I’m sorry we didn’t go. I enjoyed my time in HK and what is going on today pains me greatly as it will not end well. I never had high hopes for HK under Communist China, but what’s happening now will only hasten the end.

SpeedyPC

Forum GOD!
The PRC doesn’t care anymore about Hong Kong, because, the state of Hong Kong belongs to PRC. PRC just want money and power to rule the entire country of China and there own mother land, just like the old CCCP of the Soviet Union back in the old days.

Holyzeus

TSR reject
The protesters now use the same violent methods that were used in the maiden protests in the Ukraine. The West seems to hope that China will intervene and create a second Tianemen scene. This "colour revolution" failed but was an excellent instrument to demonize China. A repeat in Hong Kong would allow the West to declare a "clash of civilization" and increase 'western' hostility against China. But while China is prepared to intervene it is unlikely to do the West that favour. China has expressed confidence that the local authorities will be able to handle the issue. We shall see...
What!?

Some of these historical enclaves are being brought under control of the larger nations - same in Kashmir. Separatist movements like those in Spain aren't working. Russia has retaken Crimea. Looks like a period of consolidation. Spain would certainly like to take over Gibraltar as well.