Homelike Start DE Razor

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Had another go with the 1.18mm today and a polsilver blade. I took my time and played around with the angle. Definitely still a lot of blade feel, but much less aggressive than with the bic and Astra blades, I think I've found the one for me. Only a couple of weepers on the roundest part of my chin to remind me to be careful, but such a lovely close shave.

Still might get the 0.90mm for a more user friendly daily shaver.

Razorman

Forum GOD!
Received & shaved with the 1.18mm using a fresh Astra and I must say, wow! Very efficient and smoother than I thought it would be. It might have a bit more blade feel than a Timeless .95 but with more efficiency as well. It has less blade feel than a Charcoal Goods level 3 but the efficiency is similar -which was what I was looking for. Very happy & pleased with my purchase. :dance:

sphetnik

Forum GOD!
@HomeLikeShaving
We found that in the homelikeshaving.ru store, the only one from which the Start components can be shipped to Europe, not all Homelike products are presented. I am referring to the golden double edge razor and the handles Старт Сармат and Старт Циркон, as seen in the photos. My question is where can I buy these components? I also heard that Baikal razor was put on sale. Where can it be purchased from?

Attachments

Last edited:

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Tried out the .90 OC plate on the START razor and just to see how it compared to another modern OC, I put it up against the RR GC JAWS for tonight’s shave. I’ll cut to the chase and just say it like I felt it in the shave. The RR JAWS .84 has an ever so slightly edge in blade feel and even smaller edge in efficiency compared to the START .90 OC. And I think and think is the key word here, the JAWS razor has that positive blade exposure over the START which I believe has neutral blade exposure. The wider spacing in the teeth of the JAWS might contribute to those two aspects. That being said, without any reserve,biased prejudice or doubt, the START is clear and above the smoother shaver of the two while just ever so slightly lagging behind in efficiency and blade feel which some would consider a plus.

1FC7E048-F19A-4963-952F-6ACDA6549ACC.jpeg

How was the shave? Excellent to be honest between these two competing razor makers that bring excellent value and performance to the wet shave theatre. The shave was a 3 pass affair with the RR JAWS .84 on the left and the START .90 on the right. On the first pass (WTG) to my surprise, both razors knocked down nearly a full days growth with ease and similar face feel on both sides once the first pass was complete. The START as I said before doesn’t have the blade feel and assertiveness of the JAWS but, it still cut through the whiskers with a smooth light blade feel and I liked it. Went for a face rinse and lathered up for pass #2 which is south to north (ATG) from the bottom of my neck to the burns. The RR JAWS showed it’s pedigree in this pass with an effortless pass that had me at a BBS on the left cheek and very close to it on the neck. The START though wasn’t outclassed by any stretch. Equal to the JAWS with a BBS feel on the right cheek and just a couple extra strokes on the neck to match the JAWS work on the opposite side. I really could have stopped there and been a happy shaver but, decided to chase the newborn since little was needed to get there. Pass #3 was just about touch ups around the neck, jawline and Sir Adam. The JAWS cleaned up its area nicely as did the START with perhaps an extra stroke or two to be certain. I used the START to clean up the toughest spot on my neck which is both sides of Sir Adam. The START was better equipped with its smoother feel to really get in there and eliminate the few stragglers that were trying to hang on. Brilliant clean up, just brilliant. Rinsed and did a complete face feel and both sides were just identical in finish. No irritation, nics, cuts or weepers from neither of the combatants and the alum pass just confirmed to me that it wasn’t really needed. Fantastic shave, period.

So, which of the two did I prefer for shave quality and feel? Ironically, both. I love blade feel in a razor as I’ve grown accustomed to it over the couple of years I’ve been wet shaving with safety razors. But, I enjoy a smooth cutting razor that allows me to be a bit more relaxed at times and allows me to work into those tough spots without worrying if I’ll draw blood or not. I think the JAWS gets it though just by the slimmest of margins for me. I might have to get in a shave or two more to be more definitive. First, I’ll put the START .90 OC up against the regular RR GC .84 as I think that would be a better comparison.

To be continued.....

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Fourth Shave this time with the 0.9mm plate. Still a very good shave. I need to revisit this plate in a couple of days, as I rushed the shave (wanted to get watching the last episode of The Capture!)
Smooth and efficient and in the same ball park as the Carbon and Tatara Nodachi I'd say...
Again with the 0.9mm plate and it was a belter.
This is my daily shave with the Homelike. Smooth and efficient, just enough blade feel so you no what it is doing. I don't think there is anywhere that this razor can be improved upon.
The NOS Super Silver blades work superbly in it too...

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Well, another shave that was both smooth and efficient. Just like last nights shave, it was the HomelikeShaving START and this time, the RR GC .84 OC. And honestly, these two went at it Mano a Mano. Before I get into the shave, I just wanted to mention that all these shaves have been with Gillette Platinum blades with equal use of shaves among them. The GP’s have been absolutely outstanding in sharpness, smoothness and longevity. Just a real good performing blade that has me pleasantly surprised. Ok, unto the shave.......

06671FAA-F69A-458D-A3D4-5D220841A966.jpeg

For those that read my previous post on the shave between the JAWS vs the START, I gave the edge just barely to the JAWS not because it was more efficient or smoother but, rather I attained a BBS finish with lesser strokes as compared to the START OC. Wasn’t by much but, I do take that into account as less work leads in theory to potentially less chance of irritation. That being said, I buffed and cleaned up with the START around my more difficult areas and never felt any of the irritation gremlins pop up around those spots. Not that the START is mild, it’s just very, very smooth with the minimal blade feel that still exhibits great cutting action. Smooth Operator is an understatement for the START .90 OC.

Tonight’s shave was another 3 pass assignment between these two and it was a very close battle between the two. Each razor took a half, START on the Left, RR GC on the Right and started WTG. Right from the get go again, the START is just the smoother performer here. The teeth on the OC are just more rounded and better finished giving a much better face feel over the RR GC OC. Not as big a difference from the JAWS the night before but, still quite noticeable. I played a bit with the angle to make sure I was at the optimum cutting angle and just let it drop with the lightest of pressure. Pure, smooth strokes right on down to the bottom of the neck taking down quite a bit of whiskers. The sound is a bit muted but, trust me, it’s doing its thing and doing it well. Moved over the left and the RR GC and felt it right from the first stroke the noticeably audible effect of the razor cutting through the whiskers with a nice but subtle blade feel. Nothing like with the JAWS but, certainly there and perhaps just a tiny bit more feel over the START, barely. The RR GC did its work though not as smooth in face feel and the first pass was complete. A quick cold water rinse and face feel. Practically identical in feel on what was removed and what was left to get done. Lathered up and went for pass #2.

ATG, south to north from the bottom of the neck to the burns. Grabbed the RR GC first and proceeded with smooth short stokes and cleared the neck from the throat to the jawline and ear. Noticed the tinniest of weepers near Sir Adam and a quick finger and soap dab took care of it. Continued up to the cheeks, chin, corner of the mouth and right up to the burns. A nice whisker reducing pass, BBS on the cheeks and very light stragglers in the neck area after a quick feel. Noticed another small weeper at the corner of my mouth, hit it with water, gone. Besides the two weepers, a real nice pass. Grabbed the START and did the same on the left side. Good Lord, is this thing smooth! Cleared out the neck area up to the jawline and ears and did a quick touch around Sir Adam’s left side. Went to the cheeks, chin , corner of the mouth and finished at the burns. That was like ice running over your skin. Even better was that not did I have a BBS finish on the cheeks but, my neck and throat area on the left side were there too. I must have got the angle precisely as it mowed through everything plus the quick clean up around Sir Adam’s left. That was impressive Ladies & Gents. I have to use a little more care with both GC’s to achieve the finish that the START completed around my throat. Might not mean much to some but, to me that’s THE TOUGHEST spot for me to clean out properly without getting into any mishaps or struggles. Mental note made here Guys. Did a complete cold water rinse and I was practically there. Some touch up work/buffing at the bend of the chin and on the right side of Sir Adam and neck. Lathered up the neck area on the right as the left side was set and slopped some suds on the chin. Grabbed the RR GC to do the clean up around the neck and throat and pretty much got most of it but, it took a little bit of work and I still felt a couple of stragglers that I couldn’t catch somehow. Decided to use the START to try and finish off what the RR GC started. That was the ticket. Cleared it with ease with nothing left behind and continued to buff out the chin in 4-5 strokes. Done. I felt a bit of heat around the right side of Sir Adam and I knew that I had gotten a little over zealous using the RR GC in trying to clean that area out. The alum would tell the story later. Put the gear down and cold water rinse and face feel. Baby Buttocks feel was in full splendor. Fabulous feeling shave. Went on to the alum pass and just as I thought, nice exclamation point at Sir Adam with just a tiny bit of redness. Irritation and redness though was gone within 20-30 min once the Thayers Medicated & Pinaud got in the game. A great shave was had.

So, these two went at it and it was a real good shave off. Both performed flawlessly with just about the same feel in effectiveness and efficiency. Just a tiny bit of blade feel for the RR GC over the START but, the START had it in smoothness and face feel. Plus, no weepers, nics or cuts to speak of on the START side while a couple of weepers and a little bit of irritation on the RR GC half. And perhaps I should take some of the blame for user error and zealousness for not using a bit more care in clearing out that specific area as I’ve been successful in many previous shaves with the RR GC. Thing is, I’ve still had to use a bit of care in performing those shaves whereas the START nearly completed it without me giving it a second thought. Same as the night before as the START proved to be easier to use in those more troublesome areas. That smoothness that it exhibits is a key factor in giving me a bit more confidence in knowing it’s going to get it done without provoking irritation or worse yet a nic or cut. Big plus for me anyway you slice it.

The START gets the nod from me tonight. I also think that although the START is intuitive and an easy razor to get right, I believe it is a bit more angle dependent to get the most out of it during a shave and being as efficient as it can be. I think I maintained better positioning and found the START’s sweet spot throughout the shave. Did I mention that this is an uber smooth shaver? Because it is. Looking forward to seeing the JAWS again down the road and see if it can turn the tide. Might be a tall order as the JAWS is a very efficient feeling razor but, I think the START is a gamer.....

Next up, the 1.18 SB........

Real quick. I forgot to post a side profile of the START and RR GC side by side. Someone had asked me to take a quick pic of it. START on the left, RR GC on the right.... not huge but, definitely noticeable that the RR GC has the lower profile of the two.

B4E08E1D-FA2E-4039-97A5-7268F014C91E.jpeg

Last edited:

Grainman

Forum GOD!
Tried out the .90 OC plate on the START razor and just to see how it compared to another modern OC, I put it up against the RR GC JAWS for tonight’s shave. I’ll cut to the chase and just say it like I felt it in the shave. The RR JAWS .84 has an ever so slightly edge in blade feel and even smaller edge in efficiency compared to the START .90 OC. And I think and think is the key word here, the JAWS razor has that positive blade exposure over the START which I believe has neutral blade exposure. The wider spacing in the teeth of the JAWS might contribute to those two aspects. That being said, without any reserve,biased prejudice or doubt, the START is clear and above the smoother shaver of the two while just ever so slightly lagging behind in efficiency and blade feel which some would consider a plus.

View attachment 57180

How was the shave? Excellent to be honest between these two competing razor makers that bring excellent value and performance to the wet shave theatre. The shave was a 3 pass affair with the RR JAWS .84 on the left and the START .90 on the right. On the first pass (WTG) to my surprise, both razors knocked down nearly a full days growth with ease and similar face feel on both sides once the first pass was complete. The START as I said before doesn’t have the blade feel and assertiveness of the JAWS but, it still cut through the whiskers with a smooth light blade feel and I liked it. Went for a face rinse and lathered up for pass #2 which is south to north (ATG) from the bottom of my neck to the burns. The RR JAWS showed it’s pedigree in this pass with an effortless pass that had me at a BBS on the left cheek and very close to it on the neck. The START though wasn’t outclassed by any stretch. Equal to the JAWS with a BBS feel on the right cheek and just a couple extra strokes on the neck to match the JAWS work on the opposite side. I really could have stopped there and been a happy shaver but, decided to chase the newborn since little was needed to get there. Pass #3 was just about touch ups around the neck, jawline and Sir Adam. The JAWS cleaned up its area nicely as did the START with perhaps an extra stroke or two to be certain. I used the START to clean up the toughest spot on my neck which is both sides of Sir Adam. The START was better equipped with its smoother feel to really get in there and eliminate the few stragglers that were trying to hang on. Brilliant clean up, just brilliant. Rinsed and did a complete face feel and both sides were just identical in finish. No irritation, nics, cuts or weepers from neither of the combatants and the alum pass just confirmed to me that it wasn’t really needed. Fantastic shave, period.

So, which of the two did I prefer for shave quality and feel? Ironically, both. I love blade feel in a razor as I’ve grown accustomed to it over the couple of years I’ve been wet shaving with safety razors. But, I enjoy a smooth cutting razor that allows me to be a bit more relaxed at times and allows me to work into those tough spots without worrying if I’ll draw blood or not. I think the JAWS gets it though just by the slimmest of margins for me. I might have to get in a shave or two more to be more definitive. First, I’ll put the START .90 OC up against the regular RR GC .84 as I think that would be a better comparison.

To be continued.....
Very interesting description. Some real artistry in the vernacular.

Shavemd

Forum GOD!
I received the .90 and 1.18 SB today and immediately loaded up the 1.18 with a Polsilver. Just the first shave but the smoothness was amazing more in line with a mild razor like Timeless .68 or Karve C plate but the efficiency was very surprising. 2 passes and my cheeks were BBS and a very smooth ATG pass on my jaw and neck left me BBS, I am still BBS 6 hours later. Need more time with this razor but first shave puts it in the Wolfman .94 and Paradigm V1 area.
A953EB04-3FC0-46BE-A833-AF7EDF4BABF3.jpeg

Jan Zoethout

Forum GOD!
Yesterday I received a polished CTAPT cap and a polished CTAPT OC baseplate.
Today the maiden trip of this razor (head) in my SOTD:
SOTD 20191103.

Proraso pre-shave cream (white).
OUMO Brush / OUMO Brush imitation finest 2-band synth.
TDS "Cream: lavender wood-resinous" shaving soap.
Homelikeshaving "CTAPT" (START) 0.90 OC / Stork "Advoco" handle.
Personna Platinum Chrome (4).
DejaVu "Cool" ASL.
The CTAPT razor shaves comfortably and effective - about the same as the Game Changer 0.84 OC.
The razor head weights 41 grams (including blade), today with a stainless steel handle of 95 grams.
Tomorrow I will test this razor with a titanium handle for comparison.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
As I stated in my previous shave, I was really looking forward to trying out the START with it’s largest gap base plate, the 1.18 SB version. Well, as an added bonus, a very kind and generous shave member contacted me and asked if I wanted to try out one of his coveted razors. A Charcoal Goods SS razor with both the Level 2 & Level 3 SB base plates and compare it with the START. I graciously accepted and I want to thank the Gentleman, CK89 for trusting me in using the CG for a comparison shave. Truly appreciate the kind gesture and is a true gentleman to deal with.

The shave was actually yesterday evening but, I had to attend a family event and was very short on time. So, I’m writing this with my cup of Java this morning and I’ll try to keep it short and sweet. First, the CG razor is an impeccably machined and finished razor. The attention to the fine details on the handle is just exquisite. Truly a work of functional art that takes a back seat to no one. Astounding craftsmanship here that is eye candy in both form and function. After I wiped the drool oozing out of the corner of my mouth, I got ready for the shave.

Both razors were equipped with the same blade that I’ve been using since I received the START. Yes, the wonderfully performing Gillette Platinums. I was debating which plate to start off with in the CG whether L2 or L3. I sent a few messages with the owner of the CG to get a number on gaps of the CG but, info on them is quite difficult to get concerning the sizes for each plate. He recommended the L3 since the START with its largest gap plate would probably be a fair shave off. I actually started with the L2 and I’m really glad I did that and I’ll explain later on. It was CG L2 SB vs START 1.18 SB. It’s on....

C37C62E5-C44B-4B57-839C-E46B87993E77.jpeg

The normal 3 pass shave affair was on the table and neither of these two disappointed. And the first thing I will tell you is this. From the first stroke, they are both excellent feeling razors with good blade feel and amazing cutting prowess. The CG L2 however, has a more direct feeling shave where I get just a bit more blade feel over the START 1.18. The shocker here is this, the START is actually smoother with just about almost as good a blade feel as the CG L2. It removed hair with as much efficiency as the CG but, it felt more comfortable to use. On the WTG pass they both knocked down 2 days growth with relative ease and comfort. On the 2nd ATG pass is where The START showed how smooth and yet efficient it is. I never felt as though it was ever going to bite or get fussy especially around Sir Adam, chin and jawline. I actually think that it offers a bit more of a window on adjusting cutting angle and blade feel over the .90 SB & .90 OC. I can’t reiterate enough on how smooth the START felt on my skin. The CG L2 is nearly there but, if felt a bit more blade forward and I had to pay a bit more attention during my passes with it. Not intimidating by any means or one needs zen like laser focus. It’s just a notch under the START in terms of smoothness and comfort. That being said, it’s a wonderful feeling razor that gets it done without a second thought. It’s a superb mid-aggressive feeling shaver that delivers on cue. Went onto my final pass which truly was just a buff and clean up pass. Cheeks and neck were identical in face smoothness and as I had done with the previous START shaves, I used it to clean up the tiny stragglers on Sir Adam. It just works amazingly well in that particular area for me. An astounding finisher that is easy on the skin yet deadly for remaining whiskers. A superb BBS once it was all said and done. A good cold water rinse and the alum pass proved fruitless as there was no sting to speak of nor any redness anywhere from top to bottom.

Both razors are tremendous performers and I am a bit surprised at the final outcome between these two. I truly figured that the CG L2 would come out ahead just on its pedigree alone as being a smooth and efficient shaver and that it is, without question. It’s just that the START is actually smoother and just as efficient in removing whiskers. It’s actually quite surprising that the makers of the START razor got their razor to perform so well from the get go. That’s saying something in this day and age.

Superb shave from both but, the START was my pic for last nights shave. Smooth, efficient and so comfortable to shave and handle. And truthfully I need to put some more time in with the CG and get a better feel for its attributes and what it brings to the table. I’ll get some more shaves in with the L2. Next up is the L3 plate and that is going to be a challenge as I know that is up there near Ikon Tech territory. Could be a tall order for the START but, we’ll see...

Last edited: