Home Laser printers could I ask for opinions please?

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I just realised that when I replied, I replied within your quotes, it didn't show up properly.
Here is what I wrote :) :

I used to have a Brother laser printer around 20 years ago and it ran well for around 10 years, so decided to go laser again. Brother do have Linux drivers, they were a bit of a pain to get installed correctly though.
Actually, I had a Brother laser printer 20 years ago as well. We were printing hundreds of pages a day and that just kept on going.
We never thought about it. It never did anything but print.
Can I ask how much of a pain? I am no great Linux bloke, I just use it really. But there are often amazing people willing to help idiots like me :)
So there were different ways to install the drivers Brother offers individual .deb or .rpm files for printing, scanning, etc. plus an all-in-one installer script. They recommended you use the script, which I did, then I couldn't print a test page (I'm on Ubuntu 20.04, the newest Long Term Support release).

After a bit of searching I found this post, which I roughly followed and got things working after running the uninstall script that the Brother installer created. I couldn't find all of the paths that it told me to copy from, what did exist, I copied and then it started printing.

To answer you questions:
  • The one I bought isn't that small, it does support automatic two sided printing. Haven't looked at Canon, but HP have an M2 (and newer model, 135W, I think) which is tiny and they generally have good Linux drivers. Doesn't print on both sides automatically, you need to flip the sheets
    Wow, I am amazed at the prices. That is interesting about HP Linux driver. I am wondering about making space for a bigger size. Your one does seem to be the natural size for these things. So, I imagine there are compromises made for a smaller one. That is what all these things isn't it? A compromise. (not so used to it now I am getting used to the open source world (I have just found I can make the scroll bar on my browser bigger :) ))
Not sure if smaller is a compromise really. The HP one doesn't have a duplex (double sided print) unit on the printer or scanner or a document feeder for the scanner. They're all features that take up mechanical space. If they're not important, it might not be a compromise to get a smaller printer

The HP driver is called HPLIP and I used it for a few years with my HP inkjet, it's like having first party support ❤

• Refilling toner was a thing years ago, don't know if it still is. My toner will last a claimed 700 pages, so won't need to replace for years. I found a compatible toner for about £12, so won't bother refilling. Wow, you might have sold me right there. These things sit forever as well don't they?
Yep, they don't dry up so should last years. Might go off if you put it in the oven

So, really would you say the only negative is the linux drivers?
Once you have it set up, can you use it fine?
Can you scan and copy fine?
Can you print over the wifi?
To be honest, I set it up, printed a test page from my laptop using a USB cable, did a test scan then went on holiday. Haven't tried copying and I'm not sure if I'm going to configure wifi printing on it. I did on my inkjet then disabled it because it was a possibly hackable thing on my network.

Grarea

Forum Plod
So there were different ways to install the drivers Brother offers individual .deb or .rpm files for printing, scanning, etc. plus an all-in-one installer script. They recommended you use the script, which I did, then I couldn't print a test page (I'm on Ubuntu 20.04, the newest Long Term Support release).

After a bit of searching I found this post, which I roughly followed and got things working after running the uninstall script that the Brother installer created. I couldn't find all of the paths that it told me to copy from, what did exist, I copied and then it started printing.

Not sure if smaller is a compromise really. The HP one doesn't have a duplex (double sided print) unit on the printer or scanner or a document feeder for the scanner. They're all features that take up mechanical space. If they're not important, it might not be a compromise to get a smaller printer

The HP driver is called HPLIP and I used it for a few years with my HP inkjet, it's like having first party support ❤

Yep, they don't dry up so should last years. Might go off if you put it in the oven

To be honest, I set it up, printed a test page from my laptop using a USB cable, did a test scan then went on holiday. Haven't tried copying and I'm not sure if I'm going to configure wifi printing on it. I did on my inkjet then disabled it because it was a possibly hackable thing on my network.
Thank you yet again.
I think I would just buy what you have, but I am concerned about the Linux drivers.
I like the sound of everything about it including that cheap replacement toner.
I see why you got it.

I just don't know enough about linux to know what to actually do to make it run.
Although I did find this:
But it is from three years ago, definitely not mint 20. :)
I have seen HP suggested for Linux in a couple of places, I think I will try and look into their models.
(Even though they drove me mad with a monitor with customer services)
Thanks again for your input, it has been really helpful.

Grarea

Forum Plod
lol, I just realised, I have been using my inkjet with Linux Mint for the last couple of years.
I hadn't even thought it might cause problems.

It is an HP :)

Edit: Although, goodness me, there are a lot of HP laser models past and present.

Last edited:

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Thank you yet again.
I think I would just buy what you have, but I am concerned about the Linux drivers.
I like the sound of everything about it including that cheap replacement toner.
I see why you got it.

I just don't know enough about linux to know what to actually do to make it run.
Although I did find this:
But it is from three years ago, definitely not mint 20. :)
I have seen HP suggested for Linux in a couple of places, I think I will try and look into their models.
(Even though they drove me mad with a monitor with customer services)
Thanks again for your input, it has been really helpful.
So I hooked my printer up to my work laptop today (Ubuntu 20.10), installed the drivers from the .deb files and only made one other change to get things working. In the Printers screen in Settings, the printer was autodetected but not the driver. Showed the printer details, chose Select Driver from DB and selected the MFC-L2710DW driver from the list

HP is definitely well supported, I've seen a few other odd things installing their drivers too :) Like many things on Linux, it's a mini adventure

Grarea

Forum Plod
I've seen a few other odd things installing their drivers too :)
lol, yes, I have already come across some bits too.
plus I am wanting to walk away from the pc looking at so many options.
Seems like (as you say) a few i have looked at you have to get the original toner cartridges.
Which is a bad thing :)

So, my thinking then goes "just get an older model before the whole chip thing"
*types in hp laser printer into ebay and discovers 800 different models* :cry:

Now I am swinging back to your model again.
At least I know you have got it working. Plus it ticks all the other boxes. Plus, the thought of spending any more time thinking about printers.......
I guess also I would learn more from the experience :)

Just reading this (which i only half understand) which might be of interest:

OK, I have decided, (probably) I think I would rather spend time playing and learning with Linux than trying to choose an HP product :)

Grarea

Forum Plod
Darn it, the only ones available are on ebay.
Priced more than new ones were.
Is there a printer shortage?
I thought there would be a glut with so many people returning to work.
*waits patiently*

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Darn it, the only ones available are on ebay.
Priced more than new ones were.
Is there a printer shortage?
I thought there would be a glut with so many people returning to work.
*waits patiently*
Which one(s) are you looking for?

Grarea

Forum Plod
:) I was going to just get the same one you got. (thanks for doing my research for me :) )
Was hoping to get one lightly used for cheaper.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
:) I was going to just get the same one you got. (thanks for doing my research for me :) )
Was hoping to get one lightly used for cheaper.
It is sold out everywhere. When I bought mine, AO and Cartridge People (where I bought from) had stock

Grarea

Forum Plod
Printer acheived.
Printed, scanned and copied.
I am on Linux mint and this is the link that got me up and running super quick.
(Haven't tried printing over wifi yet. I think I need to understand why it would be a security threat as @sev-8 suggested before I do that. In fact, not just for printer)

Thanks again for your help @sev-8 you are a superstar.
Have a sticker:
⭐

sev-8

Forum GOD!
You're welcome. I don't often get to help folk with Linux-y stuff. Stack Exchange/Ask Ubuntu/etc. are normally great for that, so happy I could help

Grarea

Forum Plod
Another update.
I have changed a few things as I have gone with my PC and done a fresh install a couple of times.
Last time I did that, either scan or print worked without doing anything.
Just did a fresh install and both print and scan worked without me having to do anything.
Lush.