Hobby or just a decent shave?

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
How many of us would call shaving a hobby or is it just a way to get a decent shave?To me it's a hobby now ,Collecting old Se razors ,Buying and selling the odd bit ,Looking on this site when I first open the ipad on a day and looking at bst far too regularly. ,Most of us know we arnt here to save money shaving .
I remember the days of not wanting to shave but since it's become a hobby I look forward to shave night and getting a great shave with every razor I have

fredyx

Forum GOD!
It is a clearly a hobby, if it were a mattter of getting a decent shave I would have a Gillette Slim and a Filarmonica 14 DT straight razor. The soap would be Tabac and maybe Cella or Arko and the brush a 2Band Badger and a Yaqi synth.

R181

Grumpy old man
I have been wet shaving on and off for 50 odd years so it was not a matter of getting a decent shave. It was a matter of learning to use a straight razor and in the process getting a much more then decent shave with a wide variety of DEs/SEs. Along the way it became a hobby with a bit of collecting thrown in for fun.

Bob

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
I have been wet shaving on and off for 50 odd years so it was not a matter of getting a decent shave. It was a matter of learning to use a straight razor and in the process getting a much more then decent shave with a wide variety of DEs/SEs. Along the way it became a hobby with a bit of collecting thrown in for fun.

Bob
This sounds just like me Bob ,My Late dad gave me a Rolls and I said I'd shave with one one day ,That started me learning about different shave styles ,Then the fun started.

Forged

Über Member
I’ve gone through phases: Started 8-9 years ago as a way to get a decent shave while ditching carts. Became a hobby as the hardware and software piled up :blush:, and finally went back to being about just getting a decent shave after a few years of chasing the latest, greatest and unobtainist.

So I’ve come full circle, for now.....

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I have to say that what drove me for most of my days since finding out about double edge razors and brushes was the quality of my shave. I judged each shave based upon how close it was, whether it was free from cuts, nicks or irritation and how the razor felt in my hand. I figure that how a razor feels in my hand at least partly contributes to how successful I can manage my technique. I've sometimes referred to it as a hobby but I don't really think that is accurate for me. I may have over 30 razors but other than the 5 I use with regularity and the one I have devoted to travel, the rest sit in a bin under a bed. I don't display them even though I like how alot of them look. Same goes for brushes that I don't use. If it were a hobby, I'd probably want to dispaly everything. And I'm now even beginning to pull some out that I might like to sell, simply because I don't use them and they may be razors that I have multiple examples of. I find my shaves have gotten better since I put away the other 10 razors that I used to have sitting out as well as my entire collection of brushes. It makes me feel good when I look at my somewhat reduced den knowing that what I am looking at are my favorites. Before that I would just feel overwhelmed with all the "stuff".

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
A fading hobby. Been through the obsession and collecting phase. Now out of it and shave every 3 days. Still interested but not a priority.

I enjoy this forum, even if I'm rarely buying any more stuff.

I have a few dormant obsessions, like photography and coffee machines.

Like the song Just One of Those Things says "our love affair was too hot not to cool down..."