Hiking Insoles

Discussion in 'Recreation, Hobbies & Interests' started by Mikey J, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Mikey J

Mikey J Forum HOG!

Looking for a bit of advice. I often manage to get to explore the great outdoors when a bit of free time presents itself and the more I go the more I fall into the trap of becoming obsessed by the hobby. Over the months I’ve gradually upgraded my clothing and gear and I’m now at a stage where I’m pretty happy with what I’ve got. Apart from one department. Insoles.

https://www.scarpa.co.uk/clearance/marmolada-trek/

I bought these boots about six months ago and couldn’t be happier with them. Tough, comfortable, sturdy, forgiving. Everything you’d want in a boot. Except the insole. I’d done plenty of research into boots of this standard before purchasing and the general consensus seemed to be to ditch the factory insole and buy an aftermarket one. Bit more research later and I settled on these:

http://www.sorbothane.co.uk/products/double-strike

As comfortable as they are initially, after several miles the soles of my feet start to rub. My socks start to gather around my toes and blisters start to form. Could any of you fine people advise me on a really comfortable but supportive set of insoles that will see me through? Thanks in advance.

2. halvor

halvor Esquire

Did you even give the factory ones a chance for a few miles at least? Everyone’s feet are different, but I’ve never bought aftermarket ones for any hiking boots.

Blister tip: nylon stocking. On your foot suffices obviously, so get a sock version or cut some — or feel free to go the full mile :wink:

Mikey J likes this.
  3. Grarea

Grarea Forum GOD!

I had trouble with my factory ones. They kept sliding forward.
    When I went back in, they said that they only put cheap ones in as people like to put their own insoles in anyway.
    So it is kind of expected.

Sounds like your feet are moving around quite a lot inside the boot maybe?
    Are your new ones thinner than the original ones?

I got the Berghaus Ortholite 5mm Standard Footbed.
    But I don't recall why. It is what I was advised.
    Haven't thought twice about them since. So they must be good for me.

But how you decide what is right for you, I don't know.

Blisters: two pairs of socks.
    (Or you can get socks that are double walled now actually)

Mikey J likes this.
  4. Mikey J

Mikey J Forum HOG!

To be totally honest, I didn’t. They felt very thin and flimsy and went with what I read online. Perhaps it would be worth giving them a shot on a shorter hike.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to dip into my stocking drawer :okay:

5. Mikey J

Mikey J Forum HOG!

Yeah, that’s what I read. You’d think they’d put something half decent in for the price!

No, they are thicker but the boots lace right down to the toe to allow for adjustment so it might not be making a difference... The only thing I can think of is the insoles I use now are relatively flat. Ie. Don’t mould to my feet and that may be why it’s happening. It’s mostly on uneven ground or basic scrambling.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll check out those insoles :thumbsup:

6. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ Forum DOG!

I just double-sock. Thicker socks over thin socks. Same idea as stockings or thousand-mile-socks, except that the combination is already in my sock drawer...
    I've never considered aftermarket insoles, the ones in my Meindl boots are fine. Meindl boots only - for the last twenty years or so.

Mikey J likes this.
  7. JamieM

JamieM Forum GOD!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Mikey J likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice