Henson Aluminum Razor Canada

Shavemd

Forum GOD!
First shave with my Henson razor. Let me start by saying I have never kept an aluminum razor, even the Mongoose felt flimsy to me.
Head weighs in at 16g and total weight of 38g
The finish is average to above average and the balance is very good. The handle has deep knurling to provide excellent grip. There is very little blade extending beyond the Rasor edge and it definitely is a very firm grip at the edge of the blade. Due to this I purposely added more water than normal to my ETHOS soap to get more slickness and less density as there is the least amount of blade reveal of any of my razors.
I did a 3 pass shave
PreShave Hot shower and ETHOS First lather
Soap ETHOS Melange de Agrumes
Brush Greydog
Blade First use PolSilver Poland
Post Thayers lemon and ETHOS Melange de Agrumes
With a slightly thinner lather than normal I did a WTG first pass using Short strokes and skin stretching I got a very good DFS on a 24 hour beard. The razor definitely gave good audible feedback to let me know I was clearing those whiskers
2nd pass XTG. Again a thinner lather with great slickness I had very good audible feedback and got a very smooth pass. Rinse and feel, I needed a 3rd pass on my midline neck under the jawline and under the nose.
3rd pas ATG this led to a very smooth BBS shave. No nicks or irritation at all.
The design of this razor is a marriage of Timeless and Blackbird IMHO giving a very rigid blade with a very flat cutting surface. There is very little blade extruding from the edge of the razor, yet it provides a very clean irritation free shave.
I have never been a fan of aluminum and if this razor is ever made in SS or Brass I will buy it but first impressions are if you like a mild to mid razor and are OK with a full 3 pass shave it is definitely a razor to consider, especially at $40 USD. The head design is definitely innovative and I am impressed with my first shave.
9D1444A6-89C5-4CE2-9711-90AC9752A25C.jpeg

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Awesome review. Very informative. Thanks, once again, for taking one for the team. Very nice looking razor and reasonable price. Shame they don't ship to my location, but just as well ... I have too many things to sell as it is. If they come out with a stainless steel variant, however, I would consider writing in and seeing if they can change that.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
One thing I didn't like about the website, they have two razors with different levels of aggression, and they've labelled them "for men" and "for women". You then need to go through the FAQs to find out what the difference is. I'd have just labelled them "mild" and "medium" for example, possibly with the gap and exposure in smaller print underneath.

slapo

It's... alive!
One thing I didn't like about the website, they have two razors with different levels of aggression, and they've labelled them "for men" and "for women". You then need to go through the FAQs to find out what the difference is. I'd have just labelled them "mild" and "medium" for example, possibly with the gap and exposure in smaller print underneath.
Yeah, a bit of an odd choice of wording, that.
Also this:
Aluminum [Al13] - Made for Men (v2 - RENAME WHEN LIVE)
that can be seen here: https://hensonshaving.com/collections/all
I kind of wish they had an OC of otherwise the same design.

HensonShaving

Thanks for the review @Shavemd and thanks for trusting us with your shave!

We are excited and honoured by the response from the wet shaving community and I'd love to answer any questions that the members here have.

HensonShaving

Yeah, a bit of an odd choice of wording, that.
Also this:

that can be seen here: https://hensonshaving.com/collections/all
I kind of wish they had an OC of otherwise the same design.
This will be fixed in our new website launch this weekend (finger's crossed) and the strange product name was a test product that the web dev team was supposed to have hidden. Not a new or current product, just something they could work with so they didn't mess with the live site.

Shavemd

Forum GOD!
@HensonShaving As you can tell by my posts I love the design and smoothness of your razor, any chance on recreating it in SS it Titanium? I have never kept an aluminum razor, yours is the longest I have kept one, not a fan of the super light weight and I dropped an Aluminum Mongoose and that was the end of that razor.

slapo

It's... alive!
Ordered a special combination one off Stuart
I got in touch with him via email and he said it was OK via email, so, hopefully, I'll get a PayPal payment request once he knows the final price. I liked the price projection well enough. :)