Help re Blades

Got a Mongoose on the way, been told it’s aggressive which scares me, got the following blade samples. I appreciate it’s subjective but could you offer advice on which is the mildest. Mildest 1st, skin remover last please.

Kai Pink, Feather Pro, Feather Super and Feather ProGuard, Schick proline P-30

Last edited:

ScOtt

Forum GOD!
I used proguard, pinks and the kai guarded blades and feather pros, found them all too aggressive for my skin type.
But I'm probably not the best to give advice as every artist club razor I've tried had been too aggressive for me.

You used to be able to buy a sample pack from shave dash I think.

Pat-W

Forum GOD!
Hello Shaun,out of the blades you have mentioned I use the Kai Pink,Schick Proline and the Feather Pro.I would start with the Kai Pink as that’s the mildest out of the three,it’s mild but sharp enough to give a smooth comfortable shave.The Schick are also great and are sharper than the pinks,Feather pros feel a bit rough on its first outing but smooths off soon after.

Good luck with the Goose.

Driftwood

Forum GOD!
Same as above for me too, Kai Pink are my favoured blade for the Mongoose smooth and sharp then the P-30's, Feather's were rougher.

halvor

a most elusive fish
Congrats on the acquisition :)

Perhaps try the Feather ProGuards first, as it will presumably be the mildest, but I strongly recommend KAI’s guarded blade, ProTouch MG, over this one.

Shick Proline is the best and smoothest blade for me by far, though. The Feather Pro and the Kai Pink will be in the same range, but try giving them a run through a cork as some find this to smooth them out before first use.

Feather Super is by far the most aggressive due to being thicker and bigger (but excellent in the Alumigoose, as this is a milder shaver than its SS brother). See dimensions in the attached sheet from Feather.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
Kai pro touch MG without a doubt, the guard really helps to make the shave safe but they still are very sharp. Happy to send you one if you haven't got one. Oh and don't toss them after 3 shaves all the Pro style blades will get you 10 shaves at least probably a lot more.

wintoid

Out of control
My Mongoose has been gone for a few years now, but I don't remember it being aggressive. I have a v1 Alumigoose still, which is quite aggressive.

With the original goose, I remember finding the Supers milder than the Pros (weird I know). I don't remember any blade being a bloodbath, the thing just got on with shaving and caused no trouble.

Wayne

Forum Sod
My Mongoose has been gone for a few years now, but I don't remember it being aggressive. I have a v1 Alumigoose still, which is quite aggressive.

With the original goose, I remember finding the Supers milder than the Pros (weird I know). I don't remember any blade being a bloodbath, the thing just got on with shaving and caused no trouble.
You are right, it never feels aggressive to me, it's a shame I don't use it more often. I think I'll have to wheel her out for my next few shaves.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I'm not a fan of any Feather blades and I've used them all in both Mongoose and Cobra razors. The Mongoose I have works well with the Schick Proline and since I found this combination I've not bothered with anything else.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Has anyone tried the new Feather pro softguards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a fair time back as part of a pass around I believe from Ian (Gentleman's Groom Room) but I could be wrong, from memory around the same time we were testing a synth, I think Muhle). Anyway not a bad blade, but my favourite are Feather Pros.

DrewG

Forum GOD!
I had a fair time back as part of a pass around I believe from Ian (Gentleman's Groom Room) but I could be wrong, from memory around the same time we were testing a synth, I think Muhle). Anyway not a bad blade, but my favourite are Feather Pros.
Thanks Nishy, I’m on the look out for blades as got a General on the way, initially opted for Kai Captain Titan Mild but will look into the Feather pro’s too [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk