Has a book ever helped you do something better or maybe changed your life in positive and real way?

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
Amongst all the books I read or tried to read, I'd say that "The Art of Worldly Wisdom" was the most life changing; well not so really life changing so to speak, rather more like perception changing. No spiritual elevation here, just pure effectiveness in order to achieve your goal(s) ... Another title was "The Art of Prudence, or a Companion for a Man of Sense".

Furthermore, I've always appreciated such books (although I never applied their precepts) : The Art of War, The Book of Five Rings, 36 Stratagems, some parts of the Arthashâstra, the books of Robert Green, etc.

S

Steve Bowles

The Histories, by Herodotus. It opened my mind to the realization that the truth of ancient times is so much more unimaginable than fiction. No writer could dream up what went on 2,500 years ago.

Oh my goodness yes!
The most major one would be the I Ching specifically Wilhelm's translation - or Richard Wilhelm's and Cary F. Baynes translation "I Ching: Or, Book of Changes" to be exact. Still a friend, teacher and comfort to me 25? years on.

I'm trying to think of other specific books and struggling, my character has been formed by so many but subtly so in most cases. I once spent a couple of years reading 18th and 19th century literature and novels almost exclusively and it definitely affected me both in my everyday language and in my self. Equally many other books have helped reinforce or alter my character over the years not drastically but emphatically.

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
I love Chesterton! I've audio of the Man Who Was Thursday, which I tend to listen to every year or so. He's really quite pithy in his one liners with a very mdern outlook at times.
If you have a kindle you can buy most of Chesterton's works from Amazon for next to nothing. 10 or 12 books combined for less than 1 US dollar, as I recall. Same thing with many other philosophers. I think I got a collection of nearly every extant Stoic work for one, maybe 2 dollars.

D

Deleted member 476

1984 George Orwell. Strange choice i know but first reading it in my teens in 1984, it gave me the inner perspective that while its crazy to be obsessed with being watched and monitored 24/7, its blind ignorance to think that my actions, behaviours and decisions are not under the watchful eye and scrutiny of someone, apparent or anonymous to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
1984 George Orwell. Strange choice i know but first reading it in my teens in 1984, it gave me the inner perspective that while its crazy to be obsessed with being watched and monitored 24/7, its blind ignorance to think that my actions, behaviours and decisions are not under the watchful eye and scrutiny of someone, apparent or anonymous to me.
Oddly enough, a brand translation in French has just been published, changing the tense to the present (don't know whether it's simple or continuous), which is supposed to make the novel scarier...

I'll add to the list some stoic literature: The Enchiridion by Epictetus.

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
I've found " The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide by David j. miklowitz, PhD to be very helpful in understanding my condition and to recognise warning signs of mania or depression and to find the right medication for me. P.
I feel for you friend; the daughter of my former lodger was/is bipolar, when she was at home and not under medication, every day was unpredictable (she could turn from the sweetest person into the meanest in the blink of an eye...)

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I feel for you friend; the daughter of my former lodger was/is bipolar, when she was at home and not under medication, every day was unpredictable (she could turn from the sweetest person into the meanest in the blink of an eye...)
Thank you.
Yes mood swings can be distressing for those around me however I have got my meds pinned down now so I'm not too bad at the moment.. My worst thing is compulsive spending but hopefully that will be sorted soon. P.