Hard Water

Barry1963

Easily Led
Do any of you chaps who live in a hard water area do anything to soften the water? Or do you just get on with it?

Barry1963

Easily Led
I just carry on as normal. My water is very hard yet top soaps don't seem to struggle.
Yes me too Nishy. But every now and then I contemplate buying a water softener, or even bottled water. Even though I manage well enough with hard water.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yes me too Nishy. But every now and then I contemplate buying a water softener, or even bottled water. Even though I manage well enough with hard water.
I have had the same thoughts, but to be honest a longer load with my brush seems to do the trick if needed. I don't think any of my soaps struggle with my hard water.

Barry1963

Easily Led
I have had the same thoughts, but to be honest a longer load with my brush seems to do the trick if needed. I don't think any of my soaps struggle with my hard water.
Yes I do the same. A big brush helps! The only soap I couldn't get a decent lather from was a Barrister and Mann sample. Not sure why that was.

JayGee

Forum GOD!
I just get on with it, as you said.

Load the brush a bit more compared to when I'm visiting the in-laws with far softer water.

Main annoyance is the chalky film left on the razor (& brush handle) as it dries. Once a month I give the razor(s) a bath in warm water and a denture cleaning tab for an hour or so, brings them up a treat.

Barry1963

Easily Led

Load the brush a bit more compared to when I'm visiting the in-laws with far softer water.

Main annoyance is the chalky film left on the razor (& brush handle) as it dries. Once a month I give the razor(s) a bath in warm water and a denture cleaning tab for an hour or so, brings them up a treat.
Thats exactly what I do. In fact JayGee, I think it may have been you that gave me the denture tab tip on the other site!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yes I do the same. A big brush helps! The only soap I couldn't get a decent lather from was a Barrister and Mann sample. Not sure why that was.
Probably the sample. Spread it out, increase the surface area and load. Alternatively palm lather the sample and then go to your face.

SeanC

Forum GOD!

For some reason, since I switched to cold water shaving, the soap residue has reduced very significantly.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
For some reason, since I switched to cold water shaving, the soap residue has reduced very significantly.
+1
Infact when I run the hot water tap I can see more deposits out the tap than with the cold.

p.b

Forum GOD!
adding a water softener and a heated bathroom mirror were the best things we did when we extended. Showers are nicer, skin feels better, no scum on the basin, no scum on my razors or brushes, no limescale in the shower. I cannot recommend it enough. You don't know what you're missing.