Half a brain.....

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
When you upgraded your CPU did you use the same motherboard? The only times I’ve seen that have been caused by bad RAM, bad slot on the motherboard, or the RAM's not compatible with the motherboard. How many sticks of RAM do you have and are they all the same?

Another possibility, do you have a separate graphics card or is it built into the motherboard? Built-in graphics would cause an amount of RAM to be reserved for hardware but 4gb seems like a lot.

Also try

1. Press Start -> Run

2. Type msconfig

3. Go under the "Boot" tab

4. Click "Advanced options" button

Is the maximum memory option ticked? If so untick it and reboot.

Last edited:

Grarea

Forum Plod
Thank you for your thoughts on this.

I guess there could be all sorts of permutations here.
The PC was second hand 4 years ago. Original cpu and mobo.
Then I got this RAM (second hand) two years ago and realised that 32 bit wouldn't use 8GB. (replaced all of it at the same time)
A few days ago did 32 bit to 64 bit. All went well. 8GB showed up everywhere (as it still seems to)
Then changed cpu. (Still same motherboard.) Again, everything went nice and whizzy.
RAM all have the same part number. (I just checked again) I have 4 sticks of 2GB, so two would need to be faulty, but they work in pairs or something, right?

Graphics card. I was just reading up on that and wondering the same thing but didn't understand what I was reading.
I have a graphics card. A Geforce GT 630.
Which states:
Physical memory 2gb
Virtual memory 2gb

Maximum memory option is not ticked.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Although, there is nothing to stop the RAM failing just now is there?
Is the Windows Memory Diagnosis test thing good?

Grarea

Forum Plod
So, I can test my RAM by keep restarting pc with various cards in various slots can't i?
Not particularly high tech, but would work.
If there isn't a better diagnostic tool.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Ok.

If the RAM and motherboard have not been changed that rules out it being either incompatible or in the wrong slots. (Sometimes they’re picky about which are used.) It could have failed but that’s rare and as you say it would have to be two sticks down for it to refuse to talk to 4gb, so unlikely that I’d rule it out.

Something’s obviously changed since it was working but without knowing what and without being able to see the thing it’s not easy to work out what. :confused:

You can certainly try the RAM in different slots but if they’ve always been in the same ones I don’t think that’s your problem. I usually use the built-in memory test in the BIOS on the HP kit at work, or memtest booted off a USB stick which takes Windows out of the equation.

The graphics card question is because if your system has built-in graphics you’ll lose some of your RAM for that, but I’d expect it to be 512mb or thereabouts. You have a discrete graphics card so it shouldn’t be that.

I’m assuming that you’re seeing a performance decrease since it started reporting the RAM oddly?

Grarea

Forum Plod
Ok.

If the RAM and motherboard have not been changed that rules out it being either incompatible or in the wrong slots. (Sometimes they’re picky about which are used.) It could have failed but that’s rare and as you say it would have to be two sticks down for it to refuse to talk to 4gb, so unlikely that I’d rule it out.
Well, mostly.
I am 'pretty sure' it said 8GB in that windows screen.
Don't forget that, although it has been in there for a couple of years, I have only been using 4GB of it as it was 32bit.
Although, it always said 8GB was installed. Just not all available.
But, I agree, unlikely.

You can certainly try the RAM in different slots but if they’ve always been in the same ones I don’t think that’s your problem. I usually use the built-in memory test in the BIOS on the HP kit at work, or memtest booted off a USB stick which takes Windows out of the equation.
Might be worth a go.

The graphics card question is because if your system has built-in graphics you’ll lose some of your RAM for that, but I’d expect it to be 512mb or thereabouts. You have a discrete graphics card so it shouldn’t be that.
OK, thanks.
I added the graphics card myself, but that was about three years ago.
I have seen numbers relating to Hardware reserved being MB all over the place, but i don't really get it, so thanks.

I’m assuming that you’re seeing a performance decrease since it started reporting the RAM oddly?
Well, I only had a couple of days of it working speedily, then it dropped again.
Bit hard to quantify it.

Something’s obviously changed since it was working but without knowing what and without being able to see the thing it’s not easy to work out what. :confused:
No worries, I really appreciate your thoughts and time trying.

Grarea

Forum Plod
One final thing. Then I will try the memory test as you suggest on a flash (If i have one).
I don't know if this is relevant, I only did it for fun really.
But I did a benchmark test at each stage.
(passmark.com)

After I put my new cpu in it was 1286 which was an improvement from before.
I just thought that I would run it now and see if it was the same or less.

It comes out more.
So, whatever it has done, whatever it has allocated it to, it seems happy about it. Makes me think GPU?

But also now shows
upload_2019-1-26_15-57-19.png

I am completely lost. I just thought I would pop this one on in case it meant an eureka moment for you.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Phew. Thank you for your input there.
Helped me remove some possibilities.
The solution was to return to restore point before when I think it happened.
(Actually, I must make sure I set a new restore point now)
But it was still the same.

Even searches were now showing 4GB,

I realised I would be here forever if one of my RAM were slightly faulty, plus, having looked at my BIOS, there was no way of reallocating RAM.
So, I needed to test them, but I also wondered if it might reset this Hardware Reserved thing.

So I tested them all by putting in two at a time in the different slots (obviously closing down each time and following static protocol each time)
Each time showed up as 4GB.

Put them all back in and have 8GB RAM again. Looks like it needed system restore and the sort of physical reset.
(Switch it off and on again)

Yippee.

Thanks for your time again.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Phew. Thank you for your input there.
Helped me remove some possibilities.
The solution was to return to restore point before when I think it happened.
(Actually, I must make sure I set a new restore point now)
But it was still the same.

Even searches were now showing 4GB,

I realised I would be here forever if one of my RAM were slightly faulty, plus, having looked at my BIOS, there was no way of reallocating RAM.
So, I needed to test them, but I also wondered if it might reset this Hardware Reserved thing.

So I tested them all by putting in two at a time in the different slots (obviously closing down each time and following static protocol each time)
Each time showed up as 4GB.

Put them all back in and have 8GB RAM again. Looks like it needed system restore and the sort of physical reset.
(Switch it off and on again)

Yippee.

Thanks for your time again.
Marvellous, glad you’ve sorted it. I nearly suggested removing and reseating the RAM too. :)