Haircut & Shave Co. P076 OC 17-4 SS Razor

shaveSymptomatic

Forum GOD!
I used the 17-4 for about a week's worth of daily shaves. 2 passes one WTG followed by ATG. I mostly used the SB since I don't really have a need for open combs. Before I get into the shave, I've seen several razors being compared to Wolfman's mirror polish, but once I got a hold of them, I could see polishing streaks. On some razors like the DB (Paradigm Diamondback) it's very hard to see, but they are there. The 17-4 is the only razor I've come across that is truly polished at the level of WM's mirror polish, at least the top cap was, not the rest of the razor. However, Dan told me that the final production razor has an improved polish, so I suspect the entire production model razor is polished to WM's level.

The shave itself was great. There's definitely some blade feel, similar to the original Carbon plate (haven't used the newer ones yet), but the razor is very smooth. I kept getting nicks after several days with the Cx, but not was not my experience with the 17-4. I couldn't help but compare the 17-4 to the DB. During use, the DB FEELS smoother due to it's lack of blade feel, but once the shave was over, the end result was the same. Both razors gave me nick/irritation free shaves consistently. You can't ask for more smoothness than that out of a razor. So while the journey felt different, the destination (in terms of smoothness) was equal on both razors.

Things were a little odd on the efficiency end. The 17-4 FELT more efficient while in use (due to it's greater blade feel), but after 12+ hours of growth I would give the DB a slight nod over the 17-4.

I think both the DB and 17-4 appeal to different crowds and both are great choices. If you like the original Cx but want greater smoothness and efficiency, I think the 17-4 is a great choice! If you prefer little to no blade feel, then the DB is probably better suited for you. If you're like me and don't really discriminate, then both razors are worthy of buying.

I also couldn't help but notice the similarity of the 17-4's base plate to the Cx's. They both have ultra thin base plates. I'd love to see how the 17-4 compares to the new +/++ Carbon plates.

I didn't find the OC as smooth, but I only used it once and didn't give it a fair chance since I knew I wouldn't be buying it anyways. The production model OC does have wider teeth, so I suspect it'll be smoother than prototype in this pass around.

In summary, I got nothing but consistently perfect shaves with the 17-4 and can recommend it to those who don't mind some blade feel. $300 for a truly mirror polished, 17-4 stainless razor that shaves this well is beyond reasonable in my opinion. This razor could easily have been listed at more than that.

shaveSymptomatic

Forum GOD!
Nice review! How is the balance of the razor, do you find the razor head to be a little light? and does this affect the shave? Most DEs in SS have a head weight of between 28-34 grams, this one has a head weight of 22 grams.
Thanks!
You know, I'm acutally NOT a fan of ultra thin base plates due to their light weight, however I had no issues at all with the 17-4. I think the heavy handle helped out a lot.

Keto

Forum GOD!
Thanks!
You know, I'm acutally NOT a fan of ultra thin base plates due to their light weight, however I had no issues at all with the 17-4. I think the heavy handle helped out a lot.
I'm curious about this razor. I'm wondering what other razors the efficiency is like, as I don't have the Carbon or DB ?

koenfucius

Forum GOD!
Same here. I had the original H&S but sold it as I wanted a tad more efficient. How does it compare to that one or e.g. a blackland blackbird? Thanks

shaveSymptomatic

Forum GOD!
I'm curious about this razor. I'm wondering what other razors the efficiency is like, as I don't have the Carbon or DB ?
Same here. I had the original H&S but sold it as I wanted a tad more efficient. How does it compare to that one or e.g. a blackland blackbird? Thanks
Efficiency is probably close to a 1.25 WR2, but not more than that.
Much smoother than the blackbird but a tad less efficient. If you want something a little more efficient than the N75, I think this is worth trying.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Just got done about 30 minutes ago and it was a smoker! It won’t be a long write up as I have to get to work as there is an issue with the facilities heat exchanger. Anyhow, the PO76 OC is a deliciously efficient and slightly more blade feel producing razor that gave me an R41 (2011) type finish in two sweet passes. Finito. No buffing, touch ups or a clean up pass. On the first WTG pass on 2 days worth of stubble in knocked it down quickly and effectively to skin level, all around. I knew right there this razor does not play and it’s meant for serious whisker decapitating work. I employed my XTG/ATG hybrid shave move for the 2nd pass. A quick face feel and rinse and saw a couple of red dots around the neck (alum made short work of the dotties), dropped the mic splashed on some La Toja and sprayed some Creed and out the door. I couldn’t stop myself from feeling my face (full Faceturbation Mode) on my drive to work and how smooth and supple it felt. As always, the GD Aion soap provided superb protection, glide and slickness with the smallest amount, a pea sized dollop and the suds were quite abundant. Great stuff. The razor felt really balanced and I had no issue at all with the handle length or the superb knurling. Fit just right in the hands and it was a pure Samurai whisker reducer of the highest order. 47 Ronin like......

8DB2F458-D1C2-422B-8792-C04A25A502E7.jpeg

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Went with the PO76 SB & TREET combo. Nearly an identical shave to the one from yesterday only difference being there was a bit less blade feel with the 17-4 SB but, just as efficient. I employed the same shave routine from the day before and I was done in 2 seriously awesome passes. Used a small pea sized amount of the GD Asinus soap and it set the base for an amazing shave. So good in fact that I didn’t need to use an after shave or post shave products at all. But, I did anyway because it’s my shave. And honestly I just love the fact that ending with a splash seals the deal for a good shave. I know, moronic and a waste. I CAN”T HELP MYSELF! I love it so.

Just an awesome shave with the PO 76 17-4. This is a take no prisoners shaving razor, period.......

56CB3149-F793-4CF6-860E-E9FD94C669A6.jpeg

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
This shave was good. And I mean real good. Adjusted for the blade feel slightly riding closer to the cap during both passes. Excellent results and not a single nic, cut, weeper or irritation while still using the same TREET blade. I did use a bit more focus in making sure I stayed riding the cap lightly and it was like taking candy from a baby. I can definitely say that the OC version has more blade feel because of its inherent design but, that blade feel can be adjusted slightly to get a softer/smoother feel without losing any of its cutting ability. This razor is a beard buster, regardless of hair thickness/coarseness and growth pattern. Having said that, an experienced shaver I believe can get excellent results time and time again. If you’re a newb or just prefer milder razors, this ain’t your Huckleberry. Real good blade feel with excellent efficiency while still allowing the shaver to make an adjustment on angle to quiet that feel if needed. Bad Ass razor.....

67D6E69E-745F-4BC4-9371-1B52C2B724A4.jpeg

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Got my 2nd shave in with the PO76 SB 17-4 and my fourth overall with these razors. Still using the same TREET Platinum that has held up well with 4 shaves on it. I would have been happy with 2-3 and called it a pretty good blade for the $$$. But, it still shows no signs of slowing down. Anyhow, the shave with the SB version is just an excellent experience. Very comfortable and still plenty efficient so that one can get a DFS/BBS in 2 good passes, maybe a 3rd if one is less deliberate during their first two passes. I’ll point out that I also did employ a hybrid XTG/ATG on pass no. #2 that yielded a very satisfying BBS finish. The SB is definitely the easier of the 2 razors for anyone to grasp quickly. It just goes and mows down hair on each successive pass without much fanfare. The OC is a Shogun Samurai with vicious cutting ability while the SB is more akin to a stealth Ninja still getting the job done with precision.

Just an awesome shave this morning.

769BA322-89BA-455F-86B7-3127FDDDA239.jpeg

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Just seen the pre-orders are open on the H&S website. Aji has had yet another price increase. Ti is now going for $600 compared with $500 last time I looked and $400 around 4-5 months ago. SS 17-4 is also 50% higher. That's one heck of a jump.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Just seen the pre-orders are open on the H&S website. Aji has had yet another price increase. Ti is now going for $600 compared with $500 last time I looked and $400 around 4-5 months ago. SS 17-4 is also 50% higher. That's one heck of a jump.
I guess $400 was a bargain. Maybe he’s trying to slow down demand as the razors are moving faster and perhaps have surpassed his ability to meet customer demand/delivery? Just a thought but, that is another significant price jump across the board......