Haircut on my own..

• Thread starter Deleted member 1881
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1881

I can't have a haircut these days, so I wonder if I could cut my hair with some Wahl I found.

It is the 100 series.

D

Deleted member 1881

If you‘re shaving it all off, go for it. If not, get ready for a funky haircut. Particularly at the back when using a mirror, it is very counter-intuitive.

The upside: nobody has to see you while in quarantine.
I would like to make something like that. Is it possible?? I have no idea how to use it though.

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
I've been cutting my hair with a hair clipper like this for 20 years. Depending on your hair style (mine is some kind of crew cut, easiest style for my straight hair), the safest way is to start with the sides and the back of the neck, gradually (using the different combs from high to low 9mm to 1mm for instance) When it comes to the top of your head, use a normal comb to cut just what is above it with the clipper. At the beginning it's just a trial and error method...

D

Deleted member 1881

I've been cutting my hair with a hair clipper like this for 20 years. Depending on your hair style (mine is some kind of crew cut, easiest style for my straight hair), the safest way is to start with the sides and the back of the neck, gradually (using the different combs from high to low 9mm to 1mm for instance) When it comes to the top of your head, use a normal comb to cut just what is above it with the clipper. At the beginning it's just a trial and error method...
20 years. That is some good amount of money saving. Impressive!

Is it that difficult to get an acceptable quarantine haircut?

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
I would like to make something like that. Is it possible?? I have no idea how to use it though.

Yes, it's very feasable, but don't expect a perfect result at the first attempt. I'm not a barber, but according to this photo, the hardest might be to make a good fading (but you might get something close enough pretty easily).

D

Deleted member 1881

Yes, it's very feasable, but don't expect a perfect result at the first attempt. I'm not a barber, but according to this photo, the hardest might be to make a good fading (but you might get something close enough pretty easily).
Well, do I have to start then with what clipper? The 10mm?

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
Is it that difficult to get an acceptable quarantine haircut?
No, it should be easy. Anyway, if you're not too "heavy" on the clipper (and easy on you), you should be able try the next week (I do a cut each week, only use a mirror before me, and the 3mm comb and the clipper with no comb). After a few attempts, you likely be able to cut your hair yourself, definitely. A hair gel at the end might help for the finishing touch (hiding the misses) too.

Last edited:

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
Just buzz the back and sides then slick the top back, unfortunately known as the Hitler youth cut but do it like King Brad and you'll be fine :D

From Wikipedia:

View attachment 65801
I've tried this one, it's not that easy (some hair gel is needed for one thing, and the hardest is on the back of the head, where long hair meet faded/shaved back of the neck; it's quite technical, certainly easy for a pro, might take some time for an amateur to get the technique)

Dr Watson

James
I've tried this one, it's not that easy (some hair gel is needed for one thing, and the hardest is on the back of the head, where long hair meet faded/shaved back of the neck; it's quite technical, certainly easy for a pro, might take some time for an amateur to get the technique)
If the lockdown goes on for more than another 3 weeks I'll be giving it a go myself lol.

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
Well, do I have to start then with what clipper? The 10mm?
On the sides, you have to start from the maximum length you wish and then decrease to obtain the fading. The hard thing will be to manage the transition between the top of the head and the side (you'll have to "shape" it with the clipper).