Gym Thread 2021

Arora

Über Member
So, who else has braved COVID and decided to return to the gym?

Between gyms closing in November and now, I’ve put on 10kg (although I made a deliberate choice to disregard any diet and eat whatever I wanted.)

I started training again this week and it feels fantastic even if I’m noticeably weaker than before.

MyProtein were doing a huge sale this week so I ordered a load of things from there and got my protein powder from Optimum Nutrition. I’m ready!

karlc

Forum GOD!
Im slowly buying weights, barbells ect to do home work outs.
Might not be as good as a gym but all I have to do is go up stairs. Can have a quick 20 min workout, do something else and do another 20 mins a few hours later

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I've got Kettlebells, sandbags, TRX, Olympic rings, pull up bar, plyo box and a few other bits in my garage that has kept me going for the last 12 months. I got bored for the last couple of months though and started doing some living room HIIT, with Funk Roberts on youtube.
Now the gyms are back open though, I'm there and absolutely loving it, missed it a lot.

Arora

Über Member
I've got Kettlebells, sandbags, TRX, Olympic rings, pull up bar, plyo box and a few other bits in my garage that has kept me going for the last 12 months. I got bored for the last couple of months though and started doing some living room HIIT, with Funk Roberts on youtube.
Now the gyms are back open though, I'm there and absolutely loving it, missed it a lot.
I wish I had the space to turn my garage into a gym of sorts. Have you thought about getting a bench? You could do a lot of exercises with an adjustable bench and some dumbbells.

I agree about going to the gym, there’s just something about that I don’t get doing home workouts. I do 100% resistance training though and zero cardio. I hate cardio.

Arora

Über Member
Im slowly buying weights, barbells ect to do home work outs.
Might not be as good as a gym but all I have to do is go up stairs. Can have a quick 20 min workout, do something else and do another 20 mins a few hours later
That’s a solid plan. The key to progress is consistency so if having a home gym will make you workout then it’s worth it even if the workout isn’t as intense as a gym session. It’s all about doing it 3-4 times a week.

I’d recommend an adjustable bench if you have the space. That will give you lots of different exercise options.

karlc

Forum GOD!
That’s a solid plan. The key to progress is consistency so if having a home gym will make you workout then it’s worth it even if the workout isn’t as intense as a gym session. It’s all about doing it 3-4 times a week.

I’d recommend an adjustable bench if you have the space. That will give you lots of different exercise options.
Yep..a bench was the first thing I bought. I'm getting my stuff from decathlon as the stuff seems good value.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
No gym for me for the time being. I’ve put together a garage gym that I much prefer lifting in. A power cage, comfy bench, plenty of plates, a few kettlebells and slam balls, resistance bands, a plyo box and a speed rope. A few hundred metres from the front door and I’m in rolling countryside for any conditioning I fancy - hill sprints, trail running or, best of all, a family walk to a choice of pubs and back! Work has a swimming pool which I’ll get back to using once the weirdness of Covid has lifted and I try to cycle commute at least one day a week. Summer sees more running and cycling, winter tends to see more indoors swimming.

Basically, the only thing I miss from gyms are a) the hardcore spit-and-chalk from my old uni gym, or b) the spa from the David Lloyd I once forked out £120/month for back when I was in my early twenties and had disposable income!

In terms of programming, I’m happily working away at Wendler’s 531. My aims are to get my deadlift up to four plates (i.e. 180kg), my squat up to three, bench two and military press one while maintaining a body weight around 80kg (5’11”).

Reactions: p.b
So, who else has braved COVID and decided to return to the gym?

Between gyms closing in November and now, I’ve put on 10kg (although I made a deliberate choice to disregard any diet and eat whatever I wanted.)

I started training again this week and it feels fantastic even if I’m noticeably weaker than before.

MyProtein were doing a huge sale this week so I ordered a load of things from there and got my protein powder from Optimum Nutrition. I’m ready!
It is an inspiring example! I should stop eating so much and go to the gym too.