GroomingDept

owlman

Forum GOD!
One rather annoying thing I noticed with my Grooming Dept. soaps: They seem to punish you for stockpiling by simply disappearing. :ohmy: I own four soaps (Conca d'Oro, Voyage, Basique, Wonderland), bought roughly a year ago, which I've used a handful of times each, and I've taken a sample of 10g from one of them. Yet, they have all lost considerable weight. The most extreme case is the "Wonderland", the only tallow-based one of the lot, which clocks in at 114g including the full container, meaning there's a mere 35g of actual product left! :eek: (And no, the sample I took was from another soap.) I have no idea how that happened. All four soaps combined have lost a total of 171g of weight (product only!), and only about 50g of that can be explained by usage. Meaning a whole quarter, or the weight equivalent of roughly one full soap, has somehow vanished within a year, and more than half of it is caused by one soap. Looks like the vegan formula is a bit more thrifty than the tallow...

I've used the Wonderland this morning and it whips up just fine, but I could also see a circular mark left by the brush (something that didn't happen when they were new), so it's not like the soap has just hardened a lot the way English creams do. I didn't treat them any different from all my other soaps; I always shave in the morning, leave the tub open to dry until the afternoon and then put them on a shelf.

This is what it looks like. Mind you, the left one has been used a total of five times! :headshake:

This soap sure is unique... :meh:

Has anyone else noticed anything similar with their GD soaps, especially in the tallow formula?

Dr Watson

James
One rather annoying thing I noticed with my Grooming Dept. soaps: They seem to punish you for stockpiling by simply disappearing. :ohmy: I own four soaps (Conca d'Oro, Voyage, Basique, Wonderland), bought roughly a year ago, which I've used a handful of times each, and I've taken a sample of 10g from one of them. Yet, they have all lost considerable weight. The most extreme case is the "Wonderland", the only tallow-based one of the lot, which clocks in at 114g including the full container, meaning there's a mere 35g of actual product left! :eek: (And no, the sample I took was from another soap.) I have no idea how that happened. All four soaps combined have lost a total of 171g of weight (product only!), and only about 50g of that can be explained by usage. Meaning a whole quarter, or the weight equivalent of roughly one full soap, has somehow vanished within a year, and more than half of it is caused by one soap. Looks like the vegan formula is a bit more thrifty than the tallow...

I've used the Wonderland this morning and it whips up just fine, but I could also see a circular mark left by the brush (something that didn't happen when they were new), so it's not like the soap has just hardened a lot the way English creams do. I didn't treat them any different from all my other soaps; I always shave in the morning, leave the tub open to dry until the afternoon and then put them on a shelf.

This is what it looks like. Mind you, the left one has been used a total of five times! :headshake:

This soap sure is unique... :meh:

Has anyone else noticed anything similar with their GD soaps, especially in the tallow formula?
That's shocking :eek:

celestino

Forum GOD!
I have had After The Fire and Mallard, both tallow, since late last year and I have not noticed this. I have never weighed the soaps, in that time, but from a visual perspective, I have never seen any significant decrease when using them. I use them once every three weeks or so.
That is quite an interesting observation.

vtmax

Forum GOD!
No depletion with the two GD jars I am finishing up.

You mention the left soap but I see on your right soap an open ring against the rim/edges. I have experienced depletion with any soap I leave that ‘ring’ open.

I make sure to firm and form soaps tight along the edges so water can’t get deep down and sit underneath. Soaps, in my experience, last a lot longer keeping water out and drying for 48 hours.

owlman

Forum GOD!
from a visual perspective, I have never seen any significant decrease when using them. I use them once every three weeks or so.
Maybe regular usage - or rather lack thereof - has something to do with it? I hadn't used the Wonderland since early May, and the Basique is untouched since late April (due to both not being summer scents).

celestino

Forum GOD!
Maybe regular usage - or rather lack thereof - has something to do with it? I hadn't used the Wonderland since early May, and the Basique is untouched since late April (due to both not being summer scents).
That could be as water evaporation can contribute to a few things with soaps. Maybe, your soaps originally had a bit too much water and then it evaporated. Who knows. However, you could start using them, right now and put them to good use instead of waiting until summer, just in case they get any smaller. :)

D

Deleted member 1881

I think it is some kind of hidden tuxedo 30mm brush in the bowl trying to eat it all, in order to order more soap.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Never considered ordering another GD soap as the feeding frenzy for acquiring one is like the Paparazzi chasing down the Royal couple after a stay in the French Riviera. Always gone within the first 10-15 minutes. I don’t have a fixation for making it a must have but, I still do recognize that it’s still perhaps the best artisan soap available to date. I had decided to wait for the release of the pre-shave cream that will soon be available. I just happened to check up GD’s site as it was announced that another restock would be happening today and see if an announcement was pending concerning the pre-shaves. Lo and behold, soaps were still available! I said to meself, what? Perhaps consumers are a bit apprehensive in putting an order in with all the stuff that has been going on? Is there a GD boycott happening in the wet shaving world? I don’t know but, I’m a sucker for good soap. So, I grabbed 2 tubs, checked out without an issue, got my confirmation that the order was placed and continued on eating my wings and chugged down a nice pint of Guinness. That easy, for real.

“Bartender, another Guinness but, with a twist. Make it a Black Velvet.” Time to sit back and enjoy this one.....

Cheers Gents....... :cheers:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1881

Is this really the holy grail of the soaps?

I don't believe so. There isn't such a godsend soap to me.

vtmax

Forum GOD!
Is this really the holy grail of the soaps?

I don't believe so. There isn't such a godsend soap to me.
Maybe not for some but most who have tried GroomingDept place it right up there.

I started this thread a year and a half ago because of this soaps performance. I think I’ve tried every soap cooker since Mike’s came along in 2012 and yes, it’s the holy grail of soaps, for me.:okay:

C9BA03C4-4F6A-4084-A362-999E7CACC903.jpeg

2171C84D-29D9-4D4B-A314-D91DEB81C9B2.jpeg

Last edited: