Grooming Dept preshave Moisturiser.

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Str8Mug, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Str8Mug

Str8Mug Forum GOD!

I recently had the chance to purchase this particular product from Grooming Dept when it first became available a couple of weeks ago. I will disclose fully that Mohammed had sent me a couple of samples to test and see how I liked its performance months before he released his final rendering that I'm going to speak about. I'm not going to tell anyone to go out and buy it immediately. What I will say is that it has been a fantastic product from the test samples up until and including this version here.

GD Preshave Moisturiser.....

7421648F-91E4-43E4-97EB-0B561529048B.jpeg
    05FEBEA6-993F-4A8A-A6A5-EA6BCD7ABBB6.jpeg

Very quickly, I tested 2 of the preshave samples, one Ver25 & Ver26 of his formulas and both performed tremendously well providing an extra boost in lather properties with substantial improvements in post shave feel and effect. There were numerous amounts of versions of different formulas and versions, 36 I believe and perhaps more.

Somehow, Mohammed managed to improve on the final release and it is significantly better than the older beta versions that I used. I would like to say also that I'm not a heavy user of preshaves except for when I'll be using a straight or an aggressive feeling safety razor, de or se.

So, what's the point here? Well, there's 3 of them that I'd like to mention and point out.

1. Lather. This preshave actually works like an enhancer to whatever soap product you use. Tallow or Vegan, the composition and ingredients of this product allows for a thicker, fuller and silky smooth lather. Add a small pea sized amount to your loaded brush and build away. Or, smear it into your favorite scuttle, soap dish or bowl and grab your loaded brush and build that way. Either way works beautifully with a gorgeous lather that is second to none.

2. Use as a straight up preshave. Again, a pea sized amount and work it into your skin. Provides a wonderful base, barrier for your lather and just gives you extra glide, slickness and cushion for the blade to slide effortlessly across your face. No greasy or oily feeling with this preshave once applied. Another added benefit is the residual slickness that it gives to the lather without clogging or adding the normal residue that a regular preshave can potentially do to a razor. Rinses cleanly and easily.

3. Post shave qualities and benefits are a major plus with this product. The preshave is actually more than just a preshave but, it's also a skin conditioner, a moisturiser and dare I say a sealant for retaining water and keeping the skin extremely well hydrated. I've also noticed better skin conditioning with improved elasticity and softer, more supple skin.

In summation, the preshave has been all that I've asked for and then some. I never gave skin conditioning and toning a second thought until these very talented artisans started producing some wonderfully amazing soap products that actually have ingredients that help your skin during and after the shave. It's changed the way I see and go about shaving. I'm looking for products that are not just for the shave but, for the whole entire process including skin care and protection. I think Mohammed nailed it with this product. I couldn't be more happier.

Do I recommend it? Everyday of the week, twice on Sunday......

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    ajc347, mr. smith and georgesg like this.
  2. georgesg

georgesg Well-Known Member

Generally, the only issue that I have with his products, is that they sell out almost instantly, and can be hard to obtain. Maybe I’ll luck out and find this one someday.

RandySp likes this.
  3. RandySp

RandySp ATG Official Member

The unicorn of wet shaving. I can't believe how did he manage to do that.

Not even Barrister's soaps aren't that popular...

georgesg likes this.
  4. ajc347

ajc347 Forum GOD!

I wonder how much Glycerin is in this product?

It strikes me that that is the one product that can do all of these things.

It will thicken a shave lather, act as a pre-shave and is has very good post shave (and general) moisturising properties.

This is exactly why Glycerin is already included in so many shaving, cosmetic and medical products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Marcos

Marcos Forum GOD!

I’ve used the pre release v32 I believe it was and it was a great product. As someone who always uses a pre shave product I will say that it was excellent and did perform better than anything I’ve tried in the preshave category.

georgesg likes this.
  6. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

Unfortunately the performance of Grooming Dept. products is largely academic to us Europeans due the shipping costs. Even if one of us wanted to stomach the costs the most cost effective way would be to bundle several products in one shipment but given Mo's operating mode there's never sufficient stock to do that.

However, given just how good his shaving soap is I have no doubt the pre-shave is equally innovative and excellent. Good luck to those who can obtain it.

7. RandySp

Why Maggards doesnt carry his products? He could...

8. Sid James

Sid James ...

Probably because history shows Mo isn’t the most reliable person.

RandySp likes this.
  9. Holyzeus

Holyzeus TSR reject

His stuff has such good qualities I personally can’t see the need for this product. That said I no longer use his soaps as I don’t like the post shave feel. I have a bloody draw full

Str8Mug likes this.
  10. RandySp

cough cough Douglas Smythe style?

11. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

No. Unreliable due to over committing himself, not deceitful.

RandySp likes this.
  12. Preacher

Preacher Über Member

I plan on trying this when I catch it in stock. I like trying new products.

RandySp likes this.
  13. georgesg

georgesg Well-Known Member

I am not sure, but West Coast Shaving manages to stock an occasional supply of his soaps

14. Preacher

Preacher Über Member

They have some in stock now, but they are all the vegan versions. I was online looking because I wanted to try a tallow-based soap.

15. Str8Mug

Str8Mug Forum GOD!

He does have a tough time running both ends of his business. Unfortunately, it's a one man operation and it's quite obvious he can't produce soaps and products, prepare, finalize, complete packaging and ultimately grow his business. I hope he figures out that he needs to get someone with business savy and organization to help with the business end of it so he can dedicate himself to just developing his creations.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice