Getting the urge to try a straight again

Dr Watson

James
re technique: with a baby face like in the video shaving is easy but with a face like Keith Richards...
A good point. I've lost nearly 3 stone in the past 18 months, I never really thought of myself as "chubby" before but now my cheek bones are more defined and shaving that area can now be a real PITA... Solution is obvious I suppose, grow longer sideburns.

Shaving was so much easier before when the whole face was just a gentle curve :happy:

D

Deleted member 1881

A good point. I've lost nearly 3 stone in the past 18 months, I never really thought of myself as "chubby" before but now my cheek bones are more defined and shaving that area can now be a real PITA... Solution is obvious I suppose, grow longer sideburns.

Shaving was so much easier before when the whole face was just a gentle curve :happy:
I remembered now some YouTube videos where many wet shavers, begin the shave with almost BBS face and use Feather.
To cut what exactly??

R181

Grumpy old man
I often marvel at people posting a fresh SOTD every day using a straight razor... Perhaps their stubble grows much faster than mine but for me the minimum is 2 days growth, preferably 3 to use a straight.
I am sure people's whiskers grow at different rates. I do shave daily with a straight razor, 4 passes worth, and by next morning I do need a shave. Other possibility is that I am not very good at shaving with a straight razor. Oth the same is true if I use a Gillette Fat Boy @ 9.

Bob

Dr Watson

James
Other possibility is that I am not very good at shaving with a straight razor. Oth the same is true if I use a Gillette Fat Boy @ 9.

Bob
:laugh: Seems unlikely to me! The fact you use a FB at 9 tells me you have heavy growth Bob. My own growth has increased a lot since I began using DE's and SR's... Whether that is down to me shaving more often I don't know. Back in my cartridge days I only need to shave once or twice a week at most whereas now I do need one every day, I just find straights don't work very well on short stubble but that could be down to my own lack of technique.

I think lots of people shaving with a straight every day are actually just trimming their beard line rather than doing a full face shave so that was an incorrect assumption on my part.

D

Deleted member 1881

:laugh: Seems unlikely to me! The fact you use a FB at 9 tells me you have heavy growth Bob. My own growth has increased a lot since I began using DE's and SR's... Whether that is down to me shaving more often I don't know. Back in my cartridge days I only need to shave once or twice a week at most whereas now I do need one every day, I just find straights don't work very well on short stubble but that could be down to my own lack of technique.

I think lots of people shaving with a straight every day are actually just trimming their beard line rather than doing a full face shave so that was an incorrect assumption on my part.
Or they shave with a straight after they have just shaved secretly with their Fusion just to show that they have mastered the technique.

Nisse

Old geezer
I believe growth of about half an inch a month is the norm for facial hair or maybe it is the norm for all body hair.

Nisse

Old geezer
Then quality of whiskers, dark steel brush or light peach fluff, makes a huge difference when it comes to shaving.

Last edited: