Getting the urge to try a straight again

Wayne

Forum Sod
Don't know why, I really found it a faff last time I had some, plus the stones, stropping and all that jazz. Something keeps calling me back for another go though. I may have to cave in and start looking for a nice one again. I feel as a wet shaver I should have one in the den and I hate not to be able to feel I've become proficient at shaving with one.

R181

Grumpy old man
Yes there is a lot of "faffing about" when using a straight razor. That and it takes far longer to get proficient with it than most would think. As a general guide give yourself about 3 months or 100 shaves to get to that point. When you introduce honing into the equation, that brings a whole other level of learning on top of that. You really have to want to learn to shave with a straight razor and have the patience to put up with frustrations along the way. Not trying to discourage anyone from learning it but just go into it with eyes wide open as to what it entails. Mind you, when you do finally get there the level of personal satisfaction is high.

Personally, I enjoy using a straight razor every day because I find it far more rewarding than using a DE/SE or cart. I mean it is back to the very basics f shaving with no training wheels, just you and the blade.

Bob

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Don't know why, I really found it a faff last time I had some, plus the stones, stropping and all that jazz. Something keeps calling me back for another go though. I may have to cave in and start looking for a nice one again. I feel as a wet shaver I should have one in the den and I hate not to be able to feel I've become proficient at shaving with one.
Funnily enough me too Wayne.

There's a couple of YouTube's who do a full face shave (not these Mickey mouse shavers with a Goatee) and they make it look so easy. I really admire their technique.
But it doesn't take long to remember the faffing about.....oh and the time the blade bounced off my cheek and I shit myself and thought I'd scared myself for life.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
First, any chance your bin man is sending subliminal messages.

I asked a master barber at local men's store if he uses a straight razor at home - answer was "NO" with a few reasons. For me, the risk/reward ratio is not favorable.

If you have good health coverage, early morning person and would take pride in the shave, might be worth revisiting. However, you need to determine why you stopped straight razor shaving before and what is different today to encourge success.

lloydrm

Forum GOD!
To me there is no better shaving than with a str8. So much more gentle on the skin. I wanted to convince myself it was not a real difference, particularly when considering another razor or looking at my collection of safety razors.
I would get a good-enough razor honed by a well known honemeister and a very basic strop. Give yourself time to learn: start with one or two strokes per cheak and finish with your favorite razor.
I still finish with a safety for the atg pass and to me it works better than any other method.

Dr Watson

James
Can't beat it, is a bit of a faff though. As for technique Wayne, it's just like riding a bike... I took best part of a year off from straights, my first shave with one after returning felt a little awkward but muscle memory kicks in and you're back up to speed after a couple of shaves.

Rob, it was my experience that learning to shave with straights was not a linear path. After the initial basic learning period I didn't get incrementally better with each shave... It simply clicked one day and that was it. The more you use one the less you fear it, at which point it will give you a little kiss to remind, after which you'll have a small amount of healthy fear but mostly respect for it :D

Grarea

Forum Plod
I could shave safely on the first pass all over my beard area but didn't like going atg especially over the chin. Under the jaw was fine though.
Was going pretty good then.
I am considering chopping my chin off to make life a little easier.
These Feather Artist Club type things are pretty good without the faff.
I had the SS to start me off. But you are past that. Then the DX.
The cheap chinese clones are pretty darn good too.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Was going pretty good then.
I am considering chopping my chin off to make life a little easier.
These Feather Artist Club type things are pretty good without the faff.
I had the SS to start me off. But you are past that. Then the DX.
The cheap chinese clones are pretty darn good too.
Thank you mate.