GEM or ER 1912 alternative razor handles

Discussion in 'Single Edge Safety Razors (SE)' started by les24preludes, Jan 28, 2019.

1. les24preludes

les24preludes Über Member

I've seen a lot of pictures of modern razor handles on the GEM or Ever-Ready 1912s. It's a great head and a new handle can transform it into quite a beast. Plenty of 1912s with Bulldog handles about.

I started off by fitting a Yaqi and then a Yintal handle, both plated brass and a good weight. I've now made my first razor handle using a file, hacksaw blade and my drill press with a live centre attached to the table. Totally DIY but I don't have room for a lathe in my London apartment (surprise surprise...). The copper is very bright, and would probably look better aged if I can find out how to do that. I used a 2BA thread to attach the handle, just cut the top off a screw. Fits M5 and the head.

So please post your alternative handles for your 1912s. Let's have a look at them!

ER1912+copper1.jpg ER1912+copper2.jpg

GoReds, 2hot 2trot, Pat-W and 3 others like this.
  2. guy1307

guy1307 Forum GOD!

Looks Very nice

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

3. pj3r

pj3r Forum GOD!

Nice job!

Poslano sa mog SM-A600FN koristeći Tapatalk

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Forum GOD!

Barbaros.[​IMG]

JePorto and Rowlers like this.
  5. les24preludes

That's a great handle - looks like titanium. It has a nice retro look to it which goes nicely with the head. What's the total weight of the razor now?

I just looked at a Blackland Sabre post on the BST and was struck by how close it is to the 1912 with a modern handle. Not close in price - 1912s can be bought for $5-$10. Unbelievable. I have 6 which I bought for peanuts.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  6. guy1307

guy1307 Forum GOD!

I was looking at those handles this morning.
    Just missed a Barbaros TR1 on a BST...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Forum GOD!

Be aware the 10-32 threading is a little funky and doesn't mate with most of my modern razors

guy1307 likes this.
  8. les24preludes

I think the 1912s had a few different threads. I've been using the ER 1912s made in England. The 2BA thread fits into all my 1912 heads and it also fits both 10-32 and M5 handles. It's a British thread, so more common here in the UK but should be plenty about. It's a very useful thread for connecting razor parts.

Rowlers likes this.
  9. G_man

G_man Veteran

Those who have custom handle. Are you using standard handles and longer thread that you screw in to the handle (and the head), or are you buying handle with thread sticking out? If latter, where are you getting them?

Thanks

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

10. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

https://razors.click/Handles/

11. les24preludes

This is a mine of useful information, and was one of my original inspirations. What it doesn't do - being an American article - is mention the simplest way of doing this, which is to get some 2BA brass screws (a British standard) and saw the heads off to whatever length you require. This fits both the head and the usual M5 and 10-32 handles. It really is as simple as that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Machine-...Asyd4BmM8wbY0nNbJw:rk:1:pf:0&var=572317884069

Rowlers likes this.
  12. TobyC

TobyC Ghost of the Past

The solid brass multi-sided factory handle is perfect for the 1912, I'm not drawn to the aftermarket.

[​IMG]

JePorto and Rowlers like this.
  13. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

What makes you think it is an American article?
    If I can find some stainless steel or brass 2BA grub screws for little money I'll give them a go and add the information to the article.
    Sawing heads off is currently not on my agenda - for reasons.

Rowlers and TobyC like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Forum GOD!

Me either, grub screws do just fine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    JePorto and TobyC like this.
  15. les24preludes

I thought it was American because it omitted the British 2BA thread. If you can get grub screws long enough then fine, but they're usually short. The advantage of a screw at least an inch long is that it can go right to the bottom of the thread in the handle, which gives it better solidity and purchase. That's my choice - and as you say, for reasons. Plus they're very easy to buy in the UK.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice