Gem Micromatic- blades?

FaTist

hey all,
recent sufferer of RAD and got a Gem Micromatic in a bunch of razors I really wanted. having worked my way through all my new, old DEs Im going to give my new, old Gem a try.

there seems to be less variation in SE blades, from what I can tell, and am wondering if this is right. Ive found the normal Gem blades, the PAL blades, Gem Blue Star, and one other I think- is there any big difference between these blades?

my normal DE blades are green/blue Astras, Lord- super chrome- premium platinum- classic, and the occasional Wilkinson, if that helps with any suggestions for a SE blade. (used a Fatip Grande for years, a Gillette New Short Comb for the last few months)

the Micromatic beckons...

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
Since there are only a small number of variations why don't you just try them, nobody is going to know which is best for you. Yes there are differences, particularly between carbon (such as Blue Star) and the PTFE stainless). All one can say is that most tend toward the PTFE which retain sharpness longer than the carbon blades.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
If you're in the Europe (that still includes the UK), get GEM PTFE stainless blades from Connaught.
The carbon blades are OK and some people love them. Personally I can't say that they are better than the GEM PTFEs, but they are difficult to acquire and will cost quite a bit more. Don't bother.
If you're in the US, try them all. They are easy enough to find for little money.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
There is an alternative to Gem type blades - both Kai and Feather sell that size SE blades but you need to take the spine off a Gem and attach to the Kai or Feather.

This is pretty easy to do by leveraging the spine off with a small screwdriver - use a vice if you have one - and then crimp it onto the blade using pliers.

That don't last as long as a Gem but give a completely different experience.

R181

Grumpy old man
I would not waste my time with any blade in a Gem razor other than the Personna GEM stainless steel PTFE coated blades. They are sharp, smooth and don't rust in the razor. If you have not used a GEM razor before, they shave with the top cap very close to your skin with very little gap. It's like shaving with an adze. They give a very close comfortable shave that puts a lot of DEs to shame imo.

Bob

Kokopelli

Veteran
I were told a GEM razor would be a straight razor with a right angle handle. That would make one to think it would be harsh. I tried a Personna Coated GEM blade in a Valet Autostrop razor, despined to fit, and it was the most comfortable razor blade I felt on my skin. You can use a GEM blade in other type razors as well, so I wouldn't mind getting it in 100s.

R181

Grumpy old man
I were told a GEM razor would be a straight razor with a right angle handle. That would make one to think it would be harsh. I tried a Personna Coated GEM blade in a Valet Autostrop razor, despined to fit, and it was the most comfortable razor blade I felt on my skin. You can use a GEM blade in other type razors as well, so I wouldn't mind getting it in 100s.
I have only used those blades in a GEM razor and they are the most comfortable blades for me also. Shaving with a Gem razor reminds me of using a adze, different from a DE but once you are used to it no problems.

Bob