Flights ?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Anyone any tricks / tips etc for getting cheap flights to USA next July ? California bound. Can’t see much at the moment, too early for a couple of airlines.

Will-J

Über Member
Have a go at using ITA Matrix, it lets you concoct quite elaborate travel plans and you can sometimes find routings / tickets that are not widely advertised by the airlines but are easy enough to book over the phone with the routing information Matrix gives you.

I travel 3 out of 4 weeks for work, quite often long haul and have managed to find some rather good deals, though the old trick of leaving EX-EU has become less good in the last couple of years.

That said depending on your tolerance for adding a bit of faff and time to a trip some of the best deals are often found by flying indirectly from another country, so in other words look at a ticket which is say Dublin > SFO/SJC as a return and then get yourself a cheap return from UK > Dublin.

I tend to find if I can book roughly 12 weeks out seems to be the sweet spot for pricing for most of my travel.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
May I ask where in California you are planning to go?

We found our flights. We like a bit of a road trip, so this time it’s fly to Vegas, bit of Nevada and Arizona, Vegas to Grand Canyon, then Flagstaff. Flagstaff to LA via Route 66 (what’s left). LA for Disney, got to see the new Disney Star Wars. LA to San Marcos where our friend lives. Staying with her and using it as a base for San Diego, Downtown, Padres game, Coronado, Zoo, Knotts. Will be our sixth visit, love California, warm and nice people.

Last visit we did LA, Sequila, Sacramento, SF then Route 1 down to San Marcos. FANTASTIC Route 1.

Xring3

We found our flights. We like a bit of a road trip, so this time it’s fly to Vegas, bit of Nevada and Arizona, Vegas to Grand Canyon, then Flagstaff. Flagstaff to LA via Route 66 (what’s left). LA for Disney, got to see the new Disney Star Wars. LA to San Marcos where our friend lives. Staying with her and using it as a base for San Diego, Downtown, Padres game, Coronado, Zoo, Knotts. Will be our sixth visit, love California, warm and nice people.

Last visit we did LA, Sequila, Sacramento, SF then Route 1 down to San Marcos. FANTASTIC Route 1.
Sounds like fun! Everyone should have a great time.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Just remember which side of the road to drive on. Lol
Yeah, after a short time it all makes sense. Must say that we find USA roads are great for getting places in good time. You’re never far from a motorway and they flow well. LA traffic last time was a bit mad but that’s LA. Downtown San Diego on a Ball Game night was fun too.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Been looking to book hire car. Prices varied from day to day. This is the thing though, last time we used AutoEurope and they have been sending emails offering discounts. So go in via the email and gives us a price, go in again with out the email, same price. Go in on the Mac using Shift, Command and N. £300 cheaper !!!! Cookies !!!! Last time we waited and it was considerably cheaper so it’s just a waiting game.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Managed to book the car for a fantastic £732 for the 3 1/2 weeks. Have a plan Driving from Vegas to Grand Canyon and then down Route 66 from Flagstaff to L.A. Even booked the hotel in Vegas today.

Xring3

Managed to book the car for a fantastic £732 for the 3 1/2 weeks. Have a plan Driving from Vegas to Grand Canyon and then down Route 66 from Flagstaff to L.A. Even booked the hotel in Vegas today.
Sounds like a good time. Word of advice.....be sure to fill your car up with fuel BEFORE you get into California. Fuel in Arizona is about 1/2 the price as California.