Fitness Trackers

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Training' started by p.b, Sep 18, 2018.

1. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

Finally, after several years of promising myself, I have started running in an effort to get fitter, manage stress and lose a couple of inches from my waist. A few people have mentioned getting a fitness tracker to provide motivation (as an engineer I love data and tracking changes etc.) so I’m thinking of getting one.

I already wear a heavy metal wrist watch that I like the look of so I think I either want a small additional strap or maybe it’d be better to simply replace the watch with an attractive watch / tracker.

Anyone here with experience / recommendations? Thanks, Paul.

2. Thug

Thug Forum GOD!

My personal preference would be a watch such as the Garmin Fenix 3 which should be available relatively cheapish since they've launched the Fenix 5.

It looks good, you are able to download multiple different watch faces and it gives you plenty of metrics.

Have a chat to @Rowlers as he has one.

Rowlers and p.b like this.
  3. I just use the standard app thing on my MP3 player for running and distance ect.. Girlfriend has a Garmin watch which I've used in the gym. I've worn it while doing heavy bag work and swimming without any issues. (It's compact and lightweight)
    It does everything you need..it's also touchscreen. I think it may be an old version of a Vivosmart or Vivosport.

4. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

5. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Quack Quack

Strava is really good for recording distances/times etc and it uses segments so the run is broken down.
    My Garmin automatically loads down to Strava but I can use an App on the phone
    I have a Fitbit for heart rate etc, it would be nice for one watch to do both simultaneously
    A Garmin watch might

wazza likes this.
  6. halvor

halvor Esquire

I think you should choose whether to get something to wear 24/7 to monitor steps and sleep and what have you, vs a watch to put on for running and/or other sports. Some are multi sports, some are sports specific, and some are clear fitness trackers. Some include outdoors stuff, altimeter, barometer etc. What I mean is, what is your intended use?

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Legendary Member

Garmin/Strava are excellent for tracking routes, data info and for motivational purposes. Fenix would suit you but starting around £400 fairly pricey, or an Edge 200 for £50 and keep in your pocket

8. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

Good point.
    • Look good and feel well made
    • be a watch
    • Running tracker - GPS
    • sleep monitor
    • stress monitor
    • link to my phone (iPhone currently but may change)
    • provide activity statistics
    other than than I don't know.

9. MrK1

MrK1 Forum GOD!

I took delivery of the new Samsung Galaxy watch a couple of weeks ago.

I think it meets most of your requirements:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/wearables/galaxy-watch-r800/

10. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

11. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

It needs charged daily though? I'm out at that.
    Like @Thug suggests Garmin Fenix 3 are now cheap and AWESOME. On a stainless Steel/Titanium strap look dressy. Stick a a silicone strap on and it is light enough for running.

p.b likes this.
  12. MrK1

MrK1 Forum GOD!

Not sure about the other makes, but the Samsung has an option that allows the screen to be off and only comes on when you flick your wrist to look at the time.

I had the previous model, the Gear S3 and that lasted about 36hours with this setting enabled.
    I used to pop it onto the charger as soon as I woke up and by the time I was ready to leave for work about 75mins later, it was fully charged. Not really a major inconvenience.

Last week, I took the new one off charge on Tuesday, 7AM with 100% battery, didn't charge again, and by 10pm Friday, the battery was down to 36%.

I can't vouch for how well the fitness tracking works, but it manages to track sitting on my arse doing bugger all quite well.
    It annoyingly tells me to get up and do something every now and then.

bambrit, Rowlers and p.b like this.
  13. bambrit

bambrit Guru

I have a old version Garmin Vivofit2 that I've had for a while, is battery powered and so I use mainly as a watch, timer and to just track number of steps per day but often don't wear it and remove before bed so don't really take full advantage of or use it to set fitness goals.

I go old school, daily written diary of activities, weigh-ins, fitness notes and future activities in a calendar that I can easily see what activities I have coming up, as well as past reference. Like all things, if it gets you motivated to be active, its all good but for me but doesn't bring anything new to my fitness regime.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  14. nvlass

nvlass Senior Member

I have a Fenix 5 and is doing a good job as I have also the iPhone app and home I have their scale. Everything works smooth.
    The watch even reminds you that you sit a long time and is time to move.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice