First run out with the Muhle r41

Discussion in 'Double Edge Safety Razors (DE)' started by Tyke121, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Tyke121

Tyke121 Well-Known Member

First try of the Muhle r41 ,Astra blade ,Trumpers cream and I’m off ,True it talks to you as you shave and you can feel it work but no irritation at all ,Right try head with it ,Again no irritation but only went with the grain on head ,Gave a quick run against and could really feel it working but preferred only with ,2 Paases on face and head and lovely ,On with the aftershave and bit disappointed as no sting either ,Not sure if it’s years of straight razor shaving gives you ideas about angles or respect for your razors but something clicked ,Next shave will be a bloodbath now lol

2hot 2trot likes this.
  2. DamianJ

DamianJ Forum GOD!

I found it have great shaves with 2 passes too, although it was a bit much for me for daily use.

Tyke121 likes this.
  3. Tyke121

agree with you ,Wouldn’t want to shave everyday with it

DamianJ likes this.
  4. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Yes, I believe you are correct. I could not use a Gillette Fat Boy at more than #6 setting but after getting competent with a straight razor I use it at #9 setting with no trouble. I doubt the next shave will be a blood bath.

Bob

Tyke121 likes this.
  5. Tyke121

Thunder Bay Bob? ,Wife’s from Prince Edward Island ,Spend our holidays there ,Jope to retire to Canada

R181 likes this.
  6. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Hope you do retire to PEI, lovely place that. We enjoyed a couple of trips through there.

Bob

Tyke121 likes this.
  7. Tyke121

Yes I love it there Bob ,Been to a few provinces on the east side but pei is my favourite

8. Minniegoon

Minniegoon Senior Member

My first try with an R41 was a bit of a disaster. Blade choice is very important with this one. My advice don't do what I did and throw a Derby Extra in there, My go to Polsilver works a treat though.

9. Steve Bowles

Steve Bowles Forum GOD!

There a couple of guys on here (or maybe the other place, I forget) that actually use a Feather in the R41! Those whom the Gods would destroy...

10. shadowman12

shadowman12 Senior Member

I do that, have a very stiff beard. But using cold water, no warm water anymore for me. It all comes down to good technique and good preparation(including pre shave). Short strokes, 30% degree angle, no pressure and so on.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    R181 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice