First G-Shock advice

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
Looking for advice on an entry-level G-shock watch for sports and taking coaching sessions. I'm looking at getting my first G-shock. Reasonably priced, and on the smaller size.

So far the traditional DW5600 squares and the "3 eyed" DW5900 tickle my fancy. Do you have any experience with these watches? Never owned a G-shock before, and a little overwhelmed by the number of designs and functions.

Many thanks.

Cheesepiece

Stickler
I own a DW5600. I snapped the resin strap in a car accident but replaced it with a NATO strap, with Jay and Kay's adapters, and it's still going strong, a single battery change (performed at home by me) in my ownership (4 years or more).
I have my eye on the all black edition with the black face, inverted to the usual Casio face. I think I will at some point pull the trigger on one. My 5600 is my most-worn watch. It's rugged, able to withstand all the rough and tumble I might get into and with a wipe down looks good as new or thereabouts.

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
I own a DW5600. I snapped the resin strap in a car accident but replaced it with a NATO strap, with Jay and Kay's adapters, and it's still going strong, a single battery change (performed at home by me) in my ownership (4 years or more).
I have my eye on the all black edition with the black face, inverted to the usual Casio face. I think I will at some point pull the trigger on one. My 5600 is my most-worn watch. It's rugged, able to withstand all the rough and tumble I might get into and with a wipe down looks good as new or thereabouts.
Thank you, @Cheesepiece - went out and bought the GW-M5610, one of the classic squares. Look forward to using it.

Nisse

Old geezer
I am a happy GW-M5610 user though actual sreen size is rather small and took a while getting used to. Never tested what the different push buttons can do I am just wearing it as an excellent time keeper on days when the going gets tough and my fancy Omega chickens out.
_DSC3509.jpg

in need of a good cleaning, especially the inside of band will clog up with use

Last edited:

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
I am a happy GW-M5610 user though actual sreen size is rather small and took a while getting used to. Never tested what the different push buttons can do I am just wearing it as an excellent time keeper on days when the going gets tough and my fancy Omega chickens out.
View attachment 59772
in need of a good cleaning, especially the inside of band will clog up with use
If any good - I've just found this video which explains how all the functions operate. I like using the 24h function, and couldn't work it out:

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
I like using the 24h function, and couldn't work it out:
Try this:
- Press North West button (adjust button) during 3s
- Now you're in the setting mode, the time zone should be blinking
- Press two times the South West button (mode button), the 24/12hrs should be blinking
- Press the South East button to choose between 24 and 12hrs display
- Press North West button to exit

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Thinking about buying the GW-5000-1JF - it's pricey but seems to be the ultimate G Shock, I like the stainless steel back. Anyone have this model or can put me off this? I've got a g shock GA 2100 which is great as well, just keep going back to this model. Any advice appreciated.

amosdecker

Über Member
Speaking of the ultimate g-shock:
G-Shock GMW-B5000TB-1 & GMW-B5000TCM-1 Limited Full-Metal Titanium with DLC & Sapphire Crystal 11/2019

There's always the F108 entry level g square - 15 bucks and change.

Thinking about buying the GW-5000-1JF - it's pricey but seems to be the ultimate G Shock, I like the stainless steel back. Anyone have this model or can put me off this? I've got a g shock GA 2100 which is great as well, just keep going back to this model. Any advice appreciated.
I love mine.

GW-5000-1JF

A JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) watch. Solar, DLC caseback, smooth as silk 24/7 band. Syncs every day after midnight. I paid $287 (bought from a Japanese vendor) and now they are on sale at amazon for maybe $30 cheaper.

Last edited:

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Still on the lookout for a g shock square, I purchased a mudmaster and it's great. Gonna have to take the plunge on one of these. Does anyone know if you buy from Amazon in America do you pay tax to get it to UK?

Anyone recommend a forum I could maybe look at BST?

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Still on the lookout for a g shock square, I purchased a mudmaster and it's great. Gonna have to take the plunge on one of these. Does anyone know if you buy from Amazon in America do you pay tax to get it to UK?

Anyone recommend a forum I could maybe look at BST?
TZ-UK but you’ll have to earn your stripes to access the BST