Finding the right blade for me.

Discussion in 'Double Edge Blades' started by Grishnak, May 17, 2018.

1. Grishnak

Grishnak Senior Member

I have seen advice on DE shaving websites, to try numerous blades as they are all different, to find the one most suitable for yourself / skin type etc.

I wonder if anyone has found they have to change brand when they get a new / different razor, or when changing razor the go to blade remains the go to blade.

2. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Yeah, I find some blades work better in different razors. However all my favourite blades work well in all my razors..

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Blademonkey, SeanC and Grishnak like this.
  3. Grishnak

Grishnak Senior Member

309C6596-AAD2-4CA8-AF72-4D72A19884B1.jpeg I started off with a 1980s Gillette adjustable (set on 6) and Persona blades which worked well.
    I have recently purchased a Muhle Rocca and find they tug in the moustache area, though I am getting a better shave on the rest of my face.
    Just seemed strange.

SeanC likes this.
  4. halvor

halvor Esquire

I have one particular razor that is better than all others under the nose, another which is best on the rest of the face, and yet another which is the absolute best on my neck area. Go figure. It may have to do with how the angle and pressure is impacted by the anatomy and angle of attack of said areas, and it may have something to do with my neck being more sensitive than the rest. I’ve been at this for a few years and still learning. When shaving the tache, try playing around with angle and pressure. It may be that the Rocca is balanced differently from the Black Beauty, or that the head is bigger and that your nose forces it into another angle. Just thoughts, I have never tried the Rocca.

As for blades, like Lee above I too have a couple of blades which pretty much work in any razor. My go-tos are Gillette Nacet and Polsilver, Astra for a gentler feel, and sometimes Gillette Silver Blues. Have you tried a sample pack?

Shaverrific666 and Grishnak like this.
  5. DamianJ

DamianJ Legendary Member

Like has been said above my favourite blades work well in all my razors. Polsilver, Gillette Yellow and Voskhod are good all rounders for me.

Grishnak likes this.
  6. Grishnak

Grishnak Senior Member

That’s my next step, though thought I was already settled LOL

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Blademonkey and SeanC like this.
  7. Grishnak

Grishnak Senior Member

Was curious if I would come across many members that thought they had settled on a blade, but then had to jump in with a sample pack when they changed razor.

Thank you for your kind responses

8. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

I am constantly trying new blades. I even revisitied Feathers and Kai and found them wonderful in certain razors (Yaqi DOC and Mamba)

Grishnak likes this.
  9. dc68

dc68 Über Member

I only ever use Feather, my razors are a Feather ASD2; Gillette tech; Muhle Rocca and a Muhle R106.

Grishnak likes this.
  10. SeanC

SeanC Forum GOD!

I have both razors and based on my own experience you need a shallower angle with the Rocca. When you find the angle you will barely feel the blade on your face. It's in the region of 30 degrees

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Grishnak likes this.
  11. Grishnak

Grishnak Senior Member

Thank you Sean, I shall experiment further, there’s a good chance it’s just inexperience.

12. Ventriss

Ventriss Well-Known Member

I must admit when it comes to blades some are rubbish and the rest seem to be ok and very close to each other to me. Not found one that stands out

13. Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle Well-Known Member

I am currently working my way through a trial pack of blades. The Wilkinson Sword I have been using for a few months seem a lot better now that |I have stopped using the WS soap and changed to Proraso soap. So I give that combination a solid 6 out of 10. Last week's blade was the Astra Superior Platinum which I found smoother and gave 8 out of 10. This week's blade is to be the Derby Extra, with Derby Premium, Shark Super and Perma-Sharp still to come.

Rob

bambrit and Grishnak like this.
  14. Minniegoon

Minniegoon Well-Known Member

I try a different blade from my sampler pack every Wednesday in my Gillette Tech. If it works well in the Tech I'm confident It will work well in my other razors.

Grishnak likes this.
  15. chris.hale

chris.hale Forum GOD!

My go-to blade is my go-to blade in any razor. In my experience most blades that I've tried have been good or OK and a few have been terrible. I just use the same blade in everything.

DamianJ, Grishnak and Rowlers like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice