Fatip razor plating, anyone with recent experience?

Discussion in 'Double Edge Safety Razors (DE)' started by sev-8, Feb 12, 2019 at 8:22 PM.

1. sev-8

sev-8 Senior Member

Does anyone have recent experience with gold or black plated Fatips? I'm interested in getting a Fatip Gentile, but the Special Edition with SB ad OC baseplates plus the piccolo handle as it's just a bit more at Connaught. Have heard bad things about the Fatip gold and black plating back in the day and wanted to see if that's still true. If so, I might get a standard chrome Gentile

2. ronald

ronald Senior Member

No personal experience with the black plating (I have a nickel Piccolo) but from what I have read they changed the plating for the special edition so it is a bit more durable. Having said that, don't expect EJ/Muhle-level quality of plating on a Fatip.

sev-8 likes this.
  3. sev-8

sev-8 Senior Member

Thanks. Those unattributed reassurances might just tip it in favour of the SE :happy:

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Forum GOD!

OTOH, the razor is brass, so you can always have it replated in the future.

5. sev-8

sev-8 Senior Member

That sounds like it'll be more expensive than the razor => if I like it, I'll have to buy another one

jmudrick likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice