Completed Fatboy to pass around

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAGS009

Forum GOD!
If there is room for an international passenger, I would like to board too..he he.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerjohn666

Über Member
I had my first go with the Fatboy on Tuesday evening but unfortunately it didn't go particularly well. The other vintage adjustable I have ('66 Gillette Slim) needs to be on setting #3 to give me great results. The Fatty seemed to barely touch my stubble on a similar setting and by the time I'd finished sodding around with it I managed to make my neck sore so I gave it up as a bad idea. Half of that may have been the blade, Polsilver SI which I just can't seem to get on with at all despite the rave reviews plus I used a brand new soap. Too many variables probably. Though I normally shave on a daily basis I'm giving it a rest until tomorrow when I shall use tried and tested software and a trusty GSB. I reckon I'll need to set the razor to 5 or 6 on the first WTG pass and see where we go from there.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I had my first go with the Fatboy on Tuesday evening but unfortunately it didn't go particularly well. The other vintage adjustable I have ('66 Gillette Slim) needs to be on setting #3 to give me great results. The Fatty seemed to barely touch my stubble on a similar setting and by the time I'd finished sodding around with it I managed to make my neck sore so I gave it up as a bad idea. Half of that may have been the blade, Polsilver SI which I just can't seem to get on with at all despite the rave reviews plus I used a brand new soap. Too many variables probably. Though I normally shave on a daily basis I'm giving it a rest until tomorrow when I shall use tried and tested software and a trusty GSB. I reckon I'll need to set the razor to 5 or 6 on the first WTG pass and see where we go from there.
That doesn't sound right. The Fatboy on 3 works just fine for me. On 1 it struggles, on 6 it's too aggressive for my (mild) taste.
If it doesn't work on 3 I'd look at blade/angle/soap. Then again... this could be a case of YMMV.

bikerjohn666

Über Member
What a difference a blade makes! (cue the song!!). My 2nd shave with the Fatboy earlier today was much better. As well as my usual prep and pre-shave I used Razorock Tobacco #2 soap which I know performs superbly and loaded a GSB. This is now my go to blade even though I have a few Rubies on the way to try out. The shave was much smoother but I found setting #3 was still a tad ineffective. #4 was far better, anymore than that would probably be too aggressive for my neck. I was a bit short of time today so I stuck with two passes WTG & XTG which gave an acceptable if unremarkable shave. Now I know what to expect from the razor I can give it a proper, leisurely run out tomorrow evening. My remaining Polsilvers are in my blade recycling tin.

Milesandcoltrane

Have to agree with you gents on polsilvers. Back in the day I loved them but ran out and recently re-upped via eBay and they don’t seem to be as smooth as I remember then to be. Have they changed?

bikerjohn666

Über Member
3rd shave with the Fatboy tonight and a change of tactics. I decided to stay at setting #3 for the entire shave instead of faffing around as I have been. Usual prep & pre-shave (hot shower, lavender glycerine soap face wash), soap was Razorock Carribean Holiday and I used a newly purchased Gillette Rubie. Face lathered. I know I can rely on Razorock soap to give me top notch performance but I think the blade and sticking on one setting were the deciding factors as I had a really good, irritation free 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) with a bit of buffing here and there. I feel I could still do with a tad more aggressive shave, somewhere between #3 & #4 would be ideal. I shall try different pre-shave and soap (or cream) for the next outing but will stick with the Rubie and see what happens.

bikerjohn666

Über Member
I have now had five shaves with the Fatboy using various soaps etc and after my intial 'experimenting' I found the best combination was setting #3 and GSB or Rubies. However, I can honestly say I've not been able to get a better shave with this razor than others in my collection, some of which cost a fraction of what a decent condition Fatboy would. My '66 Slim Adjustable is the nearest comparable razor I have and to me, it totally out-performs its bigger cousin. If anything this pass around has really brought to light just how personal and subjective shaving is. I really wanted to love this razor, it's iconic and holds almost a 'Holy Grail' status, I'm a bit dissapointed that I actually don't love it. The fact that I didn't get the results I expected made me question my pre-shave rituals, technique, blade choice etc. Today I had the new Razorock SLOC delivered so I used that tonight (a brand new razor with a totally different head to what I've used before) with exactly the same prep, soap, blade as I used last night with the Fatboy. I had an amazing BBS shave. I couldn't get that with the Gillette. On the plus side, I've saved a small fortune by not wanting to buy one! So YMMV and all that, the Fatboy didn't do it for me so it's time to move it on. I would like to say a massive thank you to all who made this pass around possible and for letting me participate, it's very much appreciated.
@Milesandcoltrane you're next on the list, PM sent.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I'm pretty new here too as well as to wet shaving - more active on /r/wicked_edge, though - but would like to try out a Fatboy & Slim to either convince me or put me off buying one, so could you please add me to the list?

Cheers

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I'm pretty new here too as well as to wet shaving - more active on /r/wicked_edge, though - but would like to try out a Fatboy & Slim to either convince me or put me off buying one, so could you please add me to the list?

Cheers
If you're based in the UK, now a problem, we can even work something out if you're in Europe too...

Status
Not open for further replies.