FatBoy damaged bottom nut.

Discussion in 'Double Edge Safety Razors (DE)' started by kypros, Mar 16, 2019.

1. kypros

kypros Forum GOD!

Hello all,
    Ineed advise where to buy the bottom nut that holds the FatBoy together. It's the one that can be unscrewed and sadly last night while trying to take it off to clean the internals, I damaged the threads and it will not sustain the pressure of the spring that goes before it and pops out. I would hate to scrap my birth year FB because of a nut.
    Please help.

2. TobyC

TobyC Ghost of the Past

From another razor.

kypros likes this.
  3. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

If you can't find a donor razor you may have to make a new nut by hand.

Bob

TobyC and kypros like this.
  4. kypros

kypros Forum GOD!

So, there is no place I can buy a freplcement.

5. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

I can't say for sure there is no place to buy a replacement but the razor has not been made for over 50 years.

You might try emailing Razor Emporium as they repair and overhaul vintage Gillette DEs and ask if they can supply you a replacement part or know where you could get one. Disclaimer, I have never used them so don't know what they are like.

http://www.razoremporium.com/gillette/

Bob

bambrit, kypros and TobyC like this.
  6. kypros

kypros Forum GOD!

Thank you for the suggestion, I e-mailed Matt and waiting.

R181 likes this.
  7. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

You could try wrapping some plumbers PTFE tape around the thread and screwing it back in. You can buy it in any DIY store for around £1.00. It's non sticky and used to stop plumbing fittings leaking it should help the threads hold. I'd wrap around 5-7 wraps and try it for fit.

8. kypros

kypros Forum GOD!

Thank you for the suggestion, this is what I'm going to do if I don't find a replacement nut.

R181 and Wayne like this.
  9. TobyC

TobyC Ghost of the Past

Gillette never intended for the razor to be disassembled for cleaning.

You could put the nut on a hard surface and, using a hammer and punch, close the hole somewhat and re-tap the threads. This is assuming that the threads on the shaft are still good.

kypros likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice