Family history DNA results

ajc347

Forum GOD!
@ajc347 if only I had hang fire for a couple of minutes, I just bought the Ancestry DNA. I will consider doing the others in the future. I can only find a US website and prices for Family Tree is this right?
That's right Darron - FTDNA is a US based company.

You've made a great choice with Ancestry, and following it up with testing at other companies afterwards is a sound strategy. :)

Last edited:

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
I told Mem and other people what I was told by Mother, and that was I was born with Jaundice that effected my eyes.
I've looked into medical journals and literature alike and nothing points to jaundice ever causing epicanthic folds. I'm guessing the yellow tone from the jaundice and the epicanthic folds may have made you look of an oriental decent when you were born. The most jaundice would have done to your eyes would have been to make the whites yellow. However i'm guessing your eyes could point to many other heritage links such as nomadic or native people such as, native south americans, northen Icelandic and native arctic Inuit.

I'm guessing your more exotic than you know sir

Last edited:

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
I have feelings you know. The problem now is what part of me has the feelings! :roflmao:

Yes they have the largest Autosomal DNA testing, which will go back about 6 generations acutely. I have read that there is 3 types of testing; autosomal (atDNA) testing, mitochondrial (mtDNA) and Y-chromosome (Y-DNA) testing.

This is what I have just read;

Which Type of DNA Testing is the Most Accurate?

Both mtDNA testing and Y-DNA testing are more accurate than autosomal tests if you want to learn about distant ancestors. Because autosomal tests reveal such a variety of genetic activity from every branch of your family tree, they are less accurate across multiple generations. Although anyone with whom you share genetic material is related to you somehow, atDNA tests aren’t recommended beyond six generations at the most.

In contrast, mitochondrial tests and Y-chromosome tests can be extremely accurate across dozens of generations. It’s like the difference between shining a narrow beam of light instead of allowing that same light to shine across a wider area. A narrow beam of light will stretch further into the distance, but a wider beam will light up more ground around you.

Scientists have traced mitochondrial DNA all the way back to a woman referred to as ‘mitochondrial Eve,’ who is believed to have lived around 200,000 years ago, which shows the accuracy of mtDNA tests. ‘Eve’ is the most recent common female ancestor for everyone alive today.

That means that every human being on the planet shares the DNA of this single woman, not that she was the first human woman, ever. She was just the most recent woman whose female line continued unbroken until today.

Similarly, scientists were able to use Y-DNA tests to identify ‘chromosomal Adam’ as the most recent common male ancestor of all humanity (but again, not the first human man). Scientists have placed him as having lived around 100,000 years ago, which isn’t at the same time as mitochondrial Eve, but they do have theories to explain that, including the frequency of polygamy.

Source; https://www.top10bestdnatesting.com/articles/scientific-difference-between-dna-tests

That all said and after seeing the prices I think I only need to go back 6 generations, it's £40 cheaper than the competition. So www.ancestry.co.uk it is then. :D
Don't forget to put up your DNA ethnicity ancestry once your results come through.

Boru62

Shaving Boar
@Boru62
"The epicanthic fold is the skin fold of the upper eyelid, covering the inner corner (medial canthus) of the eye."

Mine does not do this I have narrow slanted eyes where the skin fold covers most of the upper eyelid but not the inner corner.That is an interesting read as I did see myself in a school play video when I was about 14 and thought that I looked Down syndrome, they mention it. I really didn't like seeing myself in that video.

Ahah! This is more likely the case, my mother was an alcoholic for all of my childhood and was probably drinking before that. This linked off of the page you sent Boru62.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_alcohol_spectrum_disorder

Shame I think it would be cool to discover that I do have Asian in my line.
Sounds like you may have solved it and the ancestry check may shed some light.
Good luck.
Kevin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 30

Sounds like you may have solved it and the ancestry check may shed some light.
Good luck.
Kevin.
Yes mystery of eyes, looks to be solved. Reading about Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder is a bit scary, luckily I didn't suffer from brain damage, or maybe I did and don't realise. I certainly had troubles at school and throughout my childhood which would explain a lot of things to me. I always attributed them to the not so nice environment I was in. I did have a hard time remaining focused on things when I was younger. Luckily as I have aged this area has improved greatly, though I think supplementation of omega 3's in my 30's certain helped for sure. Well certainly opened up the past for me a bit. Not all bad though as it resolves a few things which can only be good. :okay:

I have had an email but still awaiting on the kit.

@JamieM will do, thanks for the pointer. :okay:

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I did my Ancestry DNA last year to complement the genealogical research I’ve been doing for the last 5 years. My ethnicity is Scotland 33%, Europe West 31%, Southern England 30%, Scandinavia 2%, Finland 2%, Europe East 1% and Iberian Peninsula 1%. I’ve found out some very interesting things about my family.

AngryIrish

ι wanт one done вυт ι ĸnow ιllι'вeι'la decenт aмoυnт ιrιѕн aѕ мy greaт greaт grandғaтнer waѕ ѕυppoѕed тo вe on тнe тιтanιc, eмιgraтιng ғroм ιreland тo aмerιca

ajc347

Forum GOD!
ι wanт one done вυт ι ĸnow ιllι'вeι'la decenт aмoυnт ιrιѕн aѕ мy greaт greaт grandғaтнer waѕ ѕυppoѕed тo вe on тнe тιтanιc, eмιgraтιng ғroм ιreland тo aмerιca
I definitely recommend getting a test done. Your GG Grandfather would be one of 16 relatives you have from that generation and you would only share around 6.25% of your DNA with him.

This article might make things a little clearer as to why the percentage would be so low.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/dna-.../21/concepts-percentage-of-ancestors-dna/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

halvor

a most elusive fish
I reckon I'd be informed I'm at least 99% eejit! The 1% would probably be chemical scrambling from those damn pills Matron insists on shoving doon ma thrapple....
LOL. I’m sure there’s a 1% error margin anyway, so no worries, Graeme, you could still be 100% :wacky:

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Just had an update from my DNA test, this is what I actually thought it would be, the Southern England connection comes from my Welsh Irish and Scottish ancestors moving around that part of the UK, I guess I knew all along I was Welsh Irish and Scottish.

capture-20180920-153838.png

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I did my Ancestry DNA last year to complement the genealogical research I’ve been doing for the last 5 years. My ethnicity is Scotland 33%, Europe West 31%, Southern England 30%, Scandinavia 2%, Finland 2%, Europe East 1% and Iberian Peninsula 1%. I’ve found out some very interesting things about my family.
Ancestry recently updated my ethnicity estimate, which is now 52% Southern England, 45% Central & Northeastern Scotland, 3% Norway.