F&W Gillette Slant Razor

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
comica1595863980729.png

Drops mic.

Comes back for Q&A:
Yes, I'm the mad lad who came up with the crazy idea to make this. F&W stands for 'Foster & White.' The 'White' is Tom White, creater of the Bunny and many other razor designs, and the machinist who made me the slantification jig. The 'Foster' is me. I think I'm somewhat less famous than Tom. I was the 14th person to join this forum when it was created, so there's that at least. :p:

This jig only works with Gillette Old Type razor heads and vintage brass German Old Type copies, universally lumped under Merkur manufacture and sold under various brand names, Merkur, Apollo, Cosmo, etc. (We tried other razor heads. The results were not pretty).

How does it shave? It turns a moderately aggressive razor into a highly efficient and fairly mild to moderate slant. We were able to recreate about 80-90% of the Valencia's shape. The droop at each end we were unable to do without destroying the razor. It shaves just like a Valencia, and both Tom and I think this is the neatest thing since they invented sliced bread.

Why did you make this? Well, that's easy. There are very few vintage open comb brass slants out there. Merkur made them, and also made them for Abercrombie & Fitch. The razor under either brand name is very, very rare. Valencia razors are French made, and are also rare, but not to the extent of 'unobtainium,' like the previous two.

The Gillette Old Type is just about the complete opposite of rare. Gillette made a bazillion of the things, and most people don't really like shaving with them, since they were designed for a much thicker blade, and tend to come across as rather harsh and aggressive with modern DE blades. That made them a prime target for this project.

This is a chance for the average wet shaver to experience a really nice shave with a time tested and proven slant design paired with a razor that has already lasted 100 years.

Can I get my razor head slantified? Yes. I am offering this service. I haven't figured out the best way to do it for you folks across the pond, but I'm working on a solution. I'm charging the U.S. folks $10 + shipping, and a additional $5 for every extra head. Maybe I'll do some sort of group buy thing in one mailing package for you guys, if someone will organize it on your end.

I don't provide the razor heads. I also don't take responsibility for any damage the bending process will do to the razors, or for any mishap that may occur while stuff is in the hands of the various postal services. I will try very hard not to damage anything, and I will try like hell to make things right, but I'm not a business. Just another guy enjoying this hobby.

You forgot about the new brass open comb slant from Fatip! No I didn't. It's still a Fatip, with all the baggage that goes along with that brand. This razor is both more mild than the Fatip, and shaves a bit closer as well, in my opinion. I think it looks better, and it for sure won't have centering issues or other quality control failures. Well, aside from cracked handles, but that's a well known issue.

Did I copy Fatip's idea? No. I found out about the Fatip slants about a week after I discussed this idea with Tom.

What's the real story behind the "left hand slant?" Tom messed up. It was a mistake. Since there's no difference in the way a left handed slant shaves vs. a right handed slant, we ignored the fact that it was backwards. You should too. It also makes it easily identifiable as a remanufactured slant from F&W, which should cause slant collectors to sigh in relief. There are very few left handed slants, and none are brass open comb variants.

Do you bend plated razors? I won't bend rhodium plated razors. I've heard enough horror stories from places trying and failing to rhodium plate razor cases. The boxes were too flexible, and the plating cracked and peeled. The same will happen to a slantified rhodium plated razor. You want a rhodium slant? Plate it after it gets bent. Gold? Silver? Nickel? Bare Brass? Perfectly fine. Tiffany solid sterling old type razor? No clue. I'm willing to try, but I'd think you were crazy. Engraved razors? Ditto.

If you guys think of more questions, I'll answer them.
comica1595759363525.jpg

Last edited:

TobyC

Patriot
The Gillette OLD type is the best DE razor ever made, and it's even better with modern blades.

Looks like you have permanently destroyed some nice razors.

TobyC

Patriot
My first thought upon seeing this thread was "TobyC is going to be mad as hell about this" :happy:
Saw it when first posted, held my tongue and moved on, but I couldn't allow this crime to go unopposed. Buy the Fatip if you want a slant OC, leave the OLD for those who appreciate quality shaves and respect vintage razors.

TobyC

Patriot
The cap on the Valencia is wavy on the left and takes a downward bend on the right.

The cap on the OLD has a gap between it and the baseplate, will not hold the blade properly anymore.

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
The left side of the cap looks crushed and deformed.
You've got sharp eyes. Yes, the teeth of the razor rippled the top cap on that side. It does not affect the shave. I load it in the press now with a thick piece of leather over the top cap, and a blade loaded in the razor. This prevents the kind of damage you noticed from happening to other razors.
The cap on the Valencia is wavy on the left and takes a downward bend on the right.

The cap on the OLD has a gap between it and the baseplate, will not hold the blade properly anymore.
Well, the Valencia is a vintage original slant. All Valencia razors share the same profile, including the 'droop' on the corner of both sides of the razor.

I'm not really seeing any gap on the Old, but I didn't make that razor, and it was destroyed when we remade the jig to version 1.1 to try and recreate the droop. We went back to version 1.0 after that. Tom did make himself another Old slant. I'll post up the pictures of that one.

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
Saw it when first posted, held my tongue and moved on, but I couldn't allow this crime to go unopposed. Buy the Fatip if you want a slant OC, leave the OLD for those who appreciate quality shaves and respect vintage razors.
As someone who respects vintage razors and appreciates quality shaves, we prefer the Valencia style slant.

Let me ask you, why don't you just use the regular Fatip open comb? By same logic you used above, it's the same as a Gillette Old Type.

We both know it's not even close.

TobyC

Patriot
As someone who respects vintage razors and appreciates quality shaves, we prefer the Valencia style slant.

Let me ask you, why don't you just use the regular Fatip open comb? By same logic you used above, it's the same as a Gillette Old Type.

We both know it's not even close.
I do have and use an early Fatip Piccolo, I love that razor! Both the OLD and the Fatip OC are fantastic shavers!