Epsilon synthetic & Epsilon extra soft synthetic

Dr Watson

James
Could be a trick of the eye but to me the fibres in the extra soft brush appear to have more crimps than the other brush.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Dear Doctor you are spot on, just had another look at the brushes (not photo) and the extra soft is indeed more crimped. I also thought the knot was bigger but also more relaxed. Without and calipers I refrained from mentioning the above as I have no proof.

morr

Forum GOD!
Nice, very excited about your thoughts and comparison. The splay looks nice on the green one, the lack of which was my only real issue with the Epsilon that I had before.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Used the green handled Epsilon extra soft:

https://www.giftsandcare.com/en/fib...ynthetic-green-shaving-brush-5026mm-knot.html

2 pass shave. Reef Point soap Karve E. This brush is more like it. Slight scritch when scrubbing or using forceful circular motions. Lovely face feel when painting. Not as polar- 'soft tips to rough middle' feel, as with Simpson's chubby 2.

Handle is small but fine for me, I have a few Epsilons with this handle. Butterscotch is gorgeous. Lather placement is precise. It doesn't over splay. It leaked a small amount of lather from the middle to the handle.

Having recently sold an AP Shave Co Synbad & Silksmoke. I didn't like the way the fibres behaved or flexed with the Silksmoke and the Synbad was too soft.

Anyway a happy customer but only one use in.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Sounds good. How hard was it to splay compared to Simpsons?
IMG_20190416_074624~2.jpg

Very similar characteristics. The Chubby 2 is more dense. It has slightly more backbone and slightly less splay than the Epsilon. I find the tips of the Chubby to be very slightly softer as well. However you really are looking at small differences. In addition the Chubby has been used many times, the Epsilon once, so once the knot has relaxed it may alter in character.

morr

Forum GOD!
View attachment 46498

Very similar characteristics. The Chubby 2 is more dense. It has slightly more backbone and slightly less splay than the Epsilon. I find the tips of the Chubby to be very slightly softer as well. However you really are looking at small differences. In addition the Chubby has been used many times, the Epsilon once, so once the knot has relaxed it may alter in character.
Sounds like a lovely knot. I'll wait for your impression on the other Epsilon. I'm guessing there's minimal glue bump if any at all?