English Gillette query?

Blackie

Forum GOD!
Guys, what do I have here?
RFB? A Tech with 'teeth'?
The base looks sort of Gillette NEW shape.
The cap only has 2 wee lugs that fit into the baseplate. Shouldn't the lugs be bigger?
Maybe a mismatch of parts?
Handle seems a tad strange too.
Thanks for any info/thoughts.
I don't have it yet but will probably buy it for the baseplate anyway.

1575059016489.jpeg

Last edited:

Blackie

Forum GOD!
Thanks for that.
I found examples of that baseplate, cap, and handle on Mr. Razor's site.
Everything looks legit then.
I already have a nice NEW SC (USA), so will buy this and see how the English LC goes (I had a USA NEW LC but didn't like it as much as the SC so I sold it).
If I don't like it I'll BST or ebay it.

TobyC

Patriot
It's a normal flat bottom new with seldom seen, but still normal, bias pin cap. Should be a great shaver, like any long comb New.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Thanks for that.
I found examples of that baseplate, cap, and handle on Mr. Razor's site.
Everything looks legit then.
I already have a nice NEW SC (USA), so will buy this and see how the English LC goes (I had a USA NEW LC but didn't like it as much as the SC so I sold it).
If I don't like it I'll BST or ebay it.
Definitely pick it up - they remain excellent razors that stand up to any current production designs.

ajc347

Forum GOD!
I believe the flat bottom NEW when combined with that particular handle was known as the "service set" - Andy @ajc347 knows 👍
That's what I've always known them to be referred to as James (whether they come in a metal tin or bakelite case). There were a variety of handles and heads produced under the Gillette, 7 O'Clock, Nacet, Rubie and Minora brands most of which are interchangeable (with a few exceptions). :)

Blackie

Forum GOD!
I haven't bought it yet!
The seller has more photos and they now show that the cap is quite rough (even though he originally said "...in good original condition").
Yes, sure I can get another cap (more expense), or have the cap polished and replated (more expense).
So I would only buy it for the base and I already have a 7-o-Clock LC base (which looks just like the base in the photo), and I'm fairly sure the two bases would shave the same.
I'd also gain that handle and the Bakelite case.
So, I probably won't bother.