DSLR - Your thoughts on this camera please?

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature & Photography' started by Acer89, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Acer89

Acer89 James

Can any of you camera buffs help me out here please?

I'm no expert where photography is concerned. Currently I'm a compact user Canon Powershot SX230HS
    I've seriously been think about purchasing my first DSLR with the added convenience of built in wifi

After much research I've found one that interests me and for a reasonable price. Its the Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR II Lens Kit. It has good reviews and appears to tick the right boxes especially considering my budget.

I've yet to understand all the bells and whistles but I can get the camera with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II lens for under £400

Just to thow a spanner in the works, I'm also looking at the
    Canon EOS 700D Digital SLR Camera (EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens, 18 MP, CMOS Sensor, 3 inch LCD) which is also within my budget.

In your opinion which would be a better choice for my money?

Before I take the plunge, your thoughts would be very much welcomed. Thank you

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Retro Razor Junkie

If you can hold out for a few more months, I would wait for a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale. That's the best time to purchase a new DLSR camera.

Acer89 likes this.
  3. Acer89

Acer89 James

Good advice... @PLANofMAN Thanks. I was also thinking about an Amazon warehouse deal. They have some new unused but damaged box with full warranty.

Was hoping to spend not much more than £400. Its just so difficult trying to choose.

4. JamieM

JamieM Forum GOD!

5. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

I bought the D3300 over the D5300 simply as the 5300 didn't add anything that interested me over the 3300, and I got the latest af-p VR lens, which is faster and quieter... I'm very impressed so far...but I am a DSLR noob!

Acer89 likes this.
  6. DevonStan

DevonStan Forum GOD!

Have you seen the other thread in 'Photography' started by Rowlers, Acer? Entitled Where do I start?

It seems to have fizzled out but maybe there's some bits in there which might help.....

Acer89 and Rowlers like this.
  7. Acer89

Acer89 James

THanks ...Going to check it out now

8. ManicDee

ManicDee Forum GOD!

9. Acer89

Acer89 James

Hi @ManicDee . Thanks for the reply but this thread was created in August 2016. I've since purchased a Nikon 7100. I appreciated your input though.:thumbsup:

AlexNoodles likes this.
  10. ManicDee

ManicDee Forum GOD!

Yep but they Still stock and offer great offers.
    I bought it for the wife, best money I ever spent.....She is Always OUT :laugh:

Acer89 likes this.
  11. Ventriss

Ventriss Well-Known Member

Great camera wish I could afford it :)

Acer89 likes this.
  12. Acer89

Acer89 James

Ended up with a Nikon D700 with several prime lenses. Excellent camera and the prices are dropping.

wooky114 and R181 like this.
  13. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Congratulations, the D700 is an excellent solid camera. Had mine since they came out and am not tempted to "up grade" to a newer model. Hope you enjoy yours.

Bob

14. Ventriss

Ventriss Well-Known Member

D700 also a very capable camera, may have to start saving the pennies, ie no more shaving stuff :)

15. wooky114

wooky114 Legend In His Own Lunchtime

Got a D700 and a D300, both work well, do everything I need and are built to last.

R181 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice