Does anyone understand jean descriptions?

Grarea

Forum Plod
I thought I would try and find a style of jean that fits.
I thought I would try one brand and work from there.
Looking at used. (cheap on ebay)
Thought I would give Levi a go to start with.

I am basing it on thigh width as I have bigger thighs.
I got some 550 (relaxed fit )and am trying to work out the next 'thighness'down.

What order do these go in (based on thigh looseness)?
I got as far as:
Regular
Relaxed
Comfort/ which I think is the same as loose.

Can anyone confirm the 'loose' bit?
And where do 'original' and 'athletic' fit into the grand scheme of things.

(no wonder I hate shopping)

Please save me from going to a shop and catching covid (and, even worse, having to go to a shop)

I have looked at a number of guides and they sort of say the same thing about almost all of them.
That they are 'looser'. But looser than regular?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I thought I would try and find a style of jean that fits.
I thought I would try one brand and work from there.
Looking at used. (cheap on ebay)
Thought I would give Levi a go to start with.

I am basing it on thigh width as I have bigger thighs.
I got some 550 (relaxed fit )and am trying to work out the next 'thighness'down.

What order do these go in (based on thigh looseness)?
I got as far as:
Regular
Relaxed
Comfort/ which I think is the same as loose.

Can anyone confirm the 'loose' bit?
And where do 'original' and 'athletic' fit into the grand scheme of things.

(no wonder I hate shopping)

Please save me from going to a shop and catching covid (and, even worse, having to go to a shop)

I have looked at a number of guides and they sort of say the same thing about almost all of them.
That they are 'looser'. But looser than regular?
No use here, but I’d try a few on. Jeans are to me very much a find your fit and each maker differs from the same description. I have 501’s and G Star and both in a slim fit, can’t stand any flapping about like you get on a boot fit.

Grarea

Forum Plod
No, I don't like the boot cut at the bottom either.
The fit styles apparently are top half.
Then from there they are either taper, straight, boot etc.

See, learning.
I don't really want to go to the shops just now (well, never really)

Regular or normal ,or whatever they are called, are tight fit on me.
Slim fit I can't get past my knees.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
No, I don't like the boot cut at the bottom either.
The fit styles apparently are top half.
Then from there they are either taper, straight, boot etc.

See, learning.
I don't really want to go to the shops just now (well, never really)

Regular or normal ,or whatever they are called, are tight fit on me.
Slim fit I can't get past my knees.
Slim feel good for me, I have skinny legs, just the belly on me that’s fat.

Understand what you mean in shops,.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
It’s a complete crap shoot. I like my jeans and trousers to sit at the natural waist, but the only way I can get jeans or trousers that are comfortable is to try them on in a shop. I’ve given up buying online because 9 times out of 10 I have to return what I’ve bought because of the fit, even though they may sit at my waist. I’m the same way with shoes and boots: gotta try them on in the shop and not waste my time, and money, buying online.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I struggle with jeans/trousers too I have a 30" waist but big thighs. Last time, I was struggling, I dropped £900 on jeans on my Next account, to try loads of different makes/sizes on and returned those that I didn't like. Ended up up with some Levis, G-star and Diesel.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I struggle with jeans/trousers too I have a 30" waist but big thighs. Last time, I was struggling, I dropped £900 on jeans on my Next account, to try loads of different makes/sizes on and returned those that I didn't like. Ended up up with some Levis, G-star and Diesel.
Three great brands, G Star are my current favourites, manage to pick up a couple of pairs in the January sale at a ver6 good price. G Star are also big on environmentally friendly materials and dyes.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Also forgot to add when buying Levis I was told I could take any (prior covid) pair of Levis to the Oxford Street branch for FREE adjustments. That is any adjustment so reg to slim fit etc. Good deal.

Grarea

Forum Plod
It’s a complete crap shoot. I like my jeans and trousers to sit at the natural waist, but the only way I can get jeans or trousers that are comfortable is to try them on in a shop. I’ve given up buying online because 9 times out of 10 I have to return what I’ve bought because of the fit, even though they may sit at my waist. I’m the same way with shoes and boots: gotta try them on in the shop and not waste my time, and money, buying online.
Doh, I don't wanna go to a shop..... wah wah wahhhhhh

I agree with footwear, those you just have to try on.
Luckily, I buy half decent footwear that lasts and I get them repaired.
So I haven't had to go to a shoe shop in donkey's.

Grarea

Forum Plod
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.
I am pretty fat at the moment and am a 33 jean size.
What make and model did you get?
I got the 550 Levi and they are pretty good, I was going to try a smaller thigh one and see if I can still move about.
well, I want to be able to cycle to the shops in them.

Grarea

Forum Plod
It’s a complete crap shoot.
:(
I like my jeans and trousers to sit at the natural waist, but the only way I can get jeans or trousers that are comfortable is to try them on in a shop. I’ve given up buying online because 9 times out of 10 I have to return what I’ve bought because of the fit, even though they may sit at my waist. I’m the same way with shoes and boots: gotta try them on in the shop and not waste my time, and money, buying online.
Well, I was hoping to pick a well known make, look up their measurements and pick a pair, then I would have something to compare to.
The levi guides do actually tell you where they sit on the waist.
They tell you if they are straight on the bottom half or tapered or boot cut.
They tell you the size of the 'ankle hole'.
I even found a chart that tells you what actual size person jeans fit.
Including thigh size. But it only had one measurement. So it didn't tell you which cut of jeans it was.
It gave you a starting point.
I just can't find what i thought would be the easiest bit.
Are relaxed baggier or tighter than orifginal and athletic?