DIY scales, making wedge, ideas welcome

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3099.jpg

So far I have not had much luck with creating traditional wedges for my DIY scales. Finding it hard to get a nice tight fit and finish. Currently using "hidden" brass tube as a substitute. Ideas on how to successfully make the real thing welcome...

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3101.jpg

added this morning, scales in curly birch, brass tube wedge a real time and peace of mind saver

Last edited:

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
modern makers sometimes use spacers because they are easier to make it's that simple, wedges are used because they correct and carry out a purpose, they flex the middle section of the scales making the overall look fit and finish of the blade more perfect and correct. PS you can see exactly what a wedge does to the scales from this photo.

55932366_10212720232994468_7575062149559484416_n.jpg

Last edited:

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3102.jpg

So made wedge, a bit thicker than planned but wanted the colour black to go with pale ash scales so stayed with ebony even though it is rather brittle. Harsh light and camera is exposing flaws but actually looking pretty good to the naked eye so definitely an improvement compared to my earlier tries.

Last edited:

JamieM

View attachment 45607
So made wedge, a bit thicker than planned but wanted the colour black to go with pale ash scales so stayed with ebony even though it is rather brittle. Harsh light and camera is exposing flaws but actually looking pretty good to the naked eye so definitely an improvement compared to my earlier tries.
Definitely an improvement, you could still make it more of a wedge by thinning it out more towards the end.

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3104.jpg

A problem peening: when opening blade it is a bit loose to start with but then from about the position shown in pic it is just fine, anyone with ideas on how to fix this?

Nisse

Old geezer
Yes. Not sure if this matters but when checking my stash of Revisor internal brass washers some seem a bit rough around the edges and hole is not properly centered. Is brass the only option? Also got stainless, looking very smooth but much thicker than the super thin brass washers?

Last edited:

JamieM

Without actually physically holding your finished razor in my hand, then being able to check the movement and how the blade is going into the scales it's hard to say what the problem is.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
View attachment 45656
A problem peening: when opening blade it is a bit loose to start with but then from about the position shown in pic it is just fine, anyone with ideas on how to fix this?
I think this problem is because there is not enough bow in the scales. The reason why a wedge is necessary is down to the shape of the tang - most old razors have a tapered tang where the pin is fitted - consequently the scales must bow in order that the tang area in front of the pin does not catch on the side of the scales when the razor is closed. What you appear to be experiencing is slackness when the razor is just opened then tightening as the wider part of the tang engages the scales.
You need to do more thinning of the wedge end and maybe even take some more thickness out of scales to allow them to flex more easily. As a very general guide, when the wedge is in place, the gap at the pivot should be about 3 times the tang width.

Nisse

Old geezer
So as a rule of thumb: wedge = half the width of spine tapering to X where X is sized so resulting gap at pivot end is three times width of tang...

Last edited:

Nisse

Old geezer
Will test tomorrow with my brass tube wedge in birch scales making it according to above :)