Review & Discussion - PAA Ascension

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
First Impressions:
It is nicely finished and I love the 2 tone top cap and base. The handle again is nice, but is not my preferred handle shape, beauty is in the eye of the beholder though so YMMV. It certainly does the job.
It is lightweight but nicely balanced. No discernible top cap/base plate movement and perfect blade alignment.
First shave:
This is one efficient razor! Not a massive amount of blade feel, so it is quite deceptive. One pass would have been sufficient but where is the fun in that!
It has a little more drag than it Chromed Zamac brother, but it is not a big deal the DOC holds enough lather to keep it gliding.

Two passes was pretty damn close, but I had a couple of patched of stubble left; more likely user error. So, third pass was basically a clear up. The only slight issue was a couple of weepers than needed the Alum. Like I said above this is an efficient razor and takes you by surprise! No pressure needed!!!
Great Value for $50.

ajc347

Forum GOD!
What’s the QC like on it Lee? I had some problems with a PAA razor in the past and have been wary about shelling out on another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
What’s the QC like on it Lee? I had some problems with a PAA razor in the past and have been wary about shelling out on another one.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm more than happy with it, in fact it is top notch. I'll try and get some close up pics. I've read a couple of reviews that describe it as mild...I'd argue it is most definitely not. The original is mild, this is a notch up.

slapo

It's... alive!
Considering the head shares a few traits with the BabySmooth, I'd say it might be a matter of dialing the angle in. It took me a while to realise I had to handle that RazoRock razor like an injector/GEM razor with the head flat on the skin. Maybe this is similar when it comes to hitting the sweet spot?

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Great first shave with the SS version Ascension razor from PAA. Smooth, efficient and very well balanced. Felt much more comfortable in the hand with the weight that is nearly spot on. Fit and finish is quite good with a nice polished finish to it. No, not mirror like but, nicely done for a sub $100 razor made of 316L Stainless. Very impressive. Packaging is, well, rather simple and nothing to get excited about. Doesn’t matter to me but, for those that do it’s pretty basic. A simple cardboard box with cut outs folded about inside to hold the razor. Nothing fancy and like I said, I really don’t care. It’s the razor that counts for me and if it will perform. And perform it did.....

I performed a 3 pass shave that was more like a 2 pass plus touch ups. The blade fit in precisely and was held firmly and supported very well between the top cap and base. Zero chatter with the blade installed (Gillette Platinum Plus #3) and none received when I adjusted the 1/4 turn to increase the blade exposure/feel and it increased the efficiency very, very nicely while still maintaining excellent smoothness. You get very good blade feel without it being blade forward or the all blade feel like a Ikon Tech or it’s bigger brother the DOC EVO. I’d compare it to a 2013 R41 and up in efficiency while being as smooth as an R5 or R6 plates on the Rockwell 6s. With the curvature of the base plate and cap, there is an inherent springiness to the blade when it’s installed allowing for that adjustability in 1/4 turn and even 1/8 turn increments. Simple but, ingenious design that actually works as it’s been marketed to do.

Yes, I enjoyed the shave immensely for being it’s first time out more than with the Aluminum version though, that razor can shave very well, it’s just a little to light for an everyday shaver. Overall I’m very impressed with it’s performance and am looking forward to getting in some shaves with the PAA SS Ascension during the OCtober shave theme.

90CEC81F-185E-4284-9F99-1344EAEC1C65.jpeg
3BC01218-7AD5-4B7D-AA0F-86AEF35B2917.jpeg
329747A6-9908-4C2C-AEFF-0529A9F1BB69.jpeg
AED15C24-E6BF-4B71-A996-9E0378DF794E.jpeg
6985F07E-539F-42E0-9EC2-1C2CFFC604AA.jpeg

slapo

It's... alive!
...Yes, I enjoyed the shave immensely for being it’s first time out more than with the Aluminum version though, that razor can shave very well, it’s just a little to light for an everyday shaver....
Just wondering - have you tried it with a heavier handle, too?

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
The Aluminum Ascension head with the SS Ascension handle. Still a bit handle heavy but, definitely better weight wise in my hands. Just a fantastic shave that left no doubt. First pass a 1/4 turned from tight had a very nice and efficient feeling shave. Pass 2 was just a quick tweak, maybe a 16th of a turn and an awesome finish with no touch ups. Not bad at all this Ascension from PAA. Sleeper in the making....

703AD856-2529-45F6-8766-EC69156EB7CF.jpeg

alwinvrm

Guru
Hmmm, wishlist contender; thanks for the review.
How firm is the setting at 1/8 or 1/4 turn? No risk of of accidentally changing the setting while shaving, or putting it away?