Derby Extra

Rusty Blade

Forum GOD!
I know that blades have a significant YMMV factor...but I must say I continue to be pleased with the performance of Derby Extra. It seems these blades were once the sweetheart of many wet shavers but then fell out of fashion. The scorn of many. A few years back I did a personal blade trial with many blades and ended up buying a 100 pack of Derby Extra and they are a daily go-to for me. Any others out there that enjoy Derby Extra?

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Not yet........I am a returnee to DE shaving and will put them on my trial list.
Out of curiousity, what other brands reach your “go to” list?

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Gillette Silver Blue
Astra SP
On an Astra SP at the moment, and have a Gillette SB to try.
The Astra, though not my favourite, has given irritation free shaves, with generally one weeper, though felt slightly more aggressive than I like.
If the Gillette SB gives similar results I’ll be very interested in trying the Derby Extra.

missingskin

Forum GOD!
I am using Derby Premium in a vintage Le Coq adjustable at the moment, 6 or so shaves in they are still producing very good results. I did try Derby Extras out a few years ago and thought they were crap, but that may have been down to technique........:)

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
I am using Derby Premium in a vintage Le Coq adjustable at the moment, 6 or so shaves in they are still producing very good results. I did try Derby Extras out a few years ago and thought they were crap, but that may have been down to technique........:)
I think much must be technique and razor, after all, they are all sharp aren’t they

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Not too sure about that, I have had some blades that would not shave in any razor and others that are just too sharp as well........but as per usual YMMV....:)
You are right of course. The difference between good and bad is astounding, but also unbelievable, as they are all sharp slices of metal that look pretty identical. How can there be such a massive difference.

missingskin

Forum GOD!
You are right of course. The difference between good and bad is astounding, but also unbelievable, as they are all sharp slices of metal that look pretty identical. How can there be such a massive difference.
A lot of it is down to the machines being used, some are very old and worn. Different materials/coatings must come into it as well, thank goodness there are a lot of different one to try out....

p.b

Forum GOD!
I’ve had some lovely shaves with Derby blades and some truly awful ones. I’ve never used a more inconsistent blade which is why I no longer touch them. If you want a less sharp blade I’d recommend Treet carbon steel blades.

G_man

Forum GOD!
When I started wet shaving 4 years ago, I didn't like them. They felt dull and would pull and tug.
I recently tried them again, and I changed my opinion. They are not the sharpest, but are (at least for me) quite comfortable and weirdly they don't tug anymore.

This just show, how bad technique and improper lather contribute to a process of blade tugging and pulling :)

jFrode

I usually prefer sharper blades, but there are something about the Derby that works ok for me. Especially in my 37c. Have to toss them after two, maybe three shaves, but they do a decent job there. Especially when I am shaving daily. Those are the only mild blades that I kind of like. Also there is a bit of nostalgia as they where my beginners blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G_man

Forum GOD!
I usually prefer sharper blades, but there are something about the Derby that works ok for me. Especially in my 37c. Have to toss them after two, maybe three shaves, but they do a decent job there. Especially when I am shaving daily. Those are the only mild blades that I kind of like. Also there is a bit of nostalgia as they where my beginners blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have similar experience. They really do little damage to the skin when shaving daily.