Cushion and glide

Someone told my husband that by using a traditional brush and soap like proraso he would get more cushion and glide than istead of using gillette foamy menthol assuming he wanted to use a doyble edge razor, what would they mean by better cushion and glide??
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I would by cushion they mean slick. Before changing over to a brush and soap/cream I tried many a can of foam or gel. None of them compared to a well lathered brush using a soap or a cream. In terms of slickness and the user not being a vegetarian then tallow is the magic ingredient for me. That slickness is what gives that protection.
 
Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
Gillette foamy is a dry/airy foam and so is not particularly slick to give you glide or cushion for that matter. At least it was when I started shaving in the late 1960s but that may have changed over time.

A good shave cream or hard shave soap will give a nice slick and dense lather. That is if the person making it knows how to get that with a brush. That may take some practice and time to learn.

Bob
 

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
For me, my primary measurement is slickness, not cushion. I feel like too much cushion, the blade can't get close enough to cut. I'm enjoying the process of learning how to lather properly for better slickness and glide, but I'm still at the stage where my lather is NOT as slick as using Gillette with water added for slickness. In fact, if I use Proraso (cream in tube), it's still slicker me me if I put a drop of cream in my palm, then add some water, then rub around on my face (as opposed to bowl lathering). I get a really soapy slickness. But it's a learning process that I am enjoying, and there is something therapeutic about lathering in a bowl and enjoying the scent of the lather.
 

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
Personally speaking, and provided that the soap or cream is of good quality, almost any lather produced therefrom is going to make for a better shave than anything canned or pre-prepared. Learning to bowl- or face-lather with a brush is of course necessary, but once you get the knack, it's a great pleasure.

It also makes it possible to use the many wonderful and varied soaps and creams, from both established names and artisan makers, and which are able to cater for almost any preferences in scents, consistency etc. This itself can become a bit of a hobby, and some forum members have magnificent soap collections. The more restrained of us limit ourselves to just a few; in my case, a modest dozen or so.
 

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Some products are easier to lather than others like some have more slickness.

Going back a few years, when I learnt to lather my soaps I found that using a bowl helped, any bowl might help, I started with a large mug. The easiest cream to get good slickness is the Body Shop Maccaroot, very slick indeed.

The brush to learn how to lather, makes a difference in my view, board brushes are the hardest to learn to lather with and synthetics are the easiest.

I remember the days when I used to use Gillette gel, it was impressive how quickly I could get a lather going but my biggest disappointment was my dry skin after the shave and I naturally have oily skin. I remember people saying at the time that gel blocks your pores, whatever, I'm glad I moved away from that.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Perhaps the best advantage of using a brush and soap is the conditioning of whiskers for being cut. Most people use hot water - although some swear by cold - and the action of working soap into the face is much better than simply applying foam from a can. Some soaps also help in post shave feeling although this can also be achieved with aftershave balms and splashes.
 

SammieM

Forum GOD!
Cushion has to do with the dense ness of the lather. A good cushiony lather will be the consistency of yogurt. I am not sure if it provides anything useful to the shave. It applies nicely on the face and the lather stays there.
Slickness or glide refers to the friction between the skin and the metal of the razor. You want slickness in order to have protection from the blade. Reduced slickness might result in cuts or irritation at best. A good lather from a good soap leaves a thin layer between the skin and the blade. It is not seen by the naked eye, but you can feel it. Even after the blade goes over the skin, if you rub the cleanly shaven area, you feel minimal drag on your fingertips as they move over the skin. This is glide or otherwise known as slickness.
Hope this helps.
Also the members before me are very well experienced and are absolutely correct in saying that the canned soaps are not near as good as the real shave soap/creams. They just don’t provide the same slickness but they might be cushioning well.
 

EssexGuy85

Well-Known Member
Ive not been at this very long, ie mixing up lather from cream using a brush (was using canned goop and a mach 3 for years). I use a small bowl and a synthetic bristled brush that i brought along with some cream and DE razor. Was getting mixed results to start with, sometimes too much water making it basically run off of my face, sometimes not enough water and it would dry out.
Getting the hang of it a bit better now and getting good results.
But one thing i found was that by adding a drop or two of pre shaving oil into the bowl before mixing it all up, the shave became as slick as ice👍👍
 
Top