Crowd sourced customer service...

Hone

Forum GOD!
Artisan
So I have an interesting situation, and thought it might be interesting to hear from the community how you would would like a razor manufacturer who tries to keep his ear to the ground to handle this. And I thought it might also be interesting to share with you some of the daily challenges that come making and selling razors. :)

Some background; I handle all the orders myself. (for better or worse hehe) But it does mean the buck stops with me. I think that is important when it's your own product and when you want to try to make every bit better. I ship a fair amount, but my volumes don't get me access to any of the really good services like 48 or 72 hour world wide. I use DHL who are ok, and I have quite fixed costs which is good being small. But the trade off is my parcels are usually 2 working weeks on average to most places around the globe. DHL do say that it can be 18 work days with customs/weather etc so on the long side its 3 weeks. But 9 times out of 10 they beat this. This is all clearly stated on my website, and at the checkout. In a world of Amazon I know this is an eternity, but as a small player I haven't managed to find anything that can compete yet.

So to the situation. A customer placed an order for multiple razors as gifts while they were in the US. They subsequently traveled home to another continent, and the razors arrived the day after they left. DHL managed the delivery in 13 days. But within that 13 days were Memorial Day in the US, and two public holidays directly after the order on this side. So technically they did it in 10 days. I've been informed that the parcel will bounce to me, but the customer would obviously like more razors sent to their new location. They have said they will pay more shipping costs if needed. There is a parcel room at the destination in the US, but they say they can't forward the original parcel on.

I obviously want to help my customer, but two shipments of multiple razors is a reasonable value in transit for a small supplier. And I know that bounced parcels take ages (3 months sometimes), and usually arrive back in tatters.

My gut says that the original parcel should be forwarded. (Especially if more shipping is being offered anyway) But I don't want to leave my customer high and dry as they were gifts.

So over to you, what would you do? What would you expect as a customer? And how would you want me to handle this if it was you?

Andrew - Hone.
 

Mikey J

Forum HOG!
Personally, if I was that customer and you told me you would send out a new set of razors to the new location and just put the returned ones back into your stock when they eventually arrived back home you would have a customer for life and I’d struggle to stop telling people how good your customer service is.

Whether that is financially viable from your perspective is another matter though.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
Good of you to care for your customer. It’s not quite clear to me what difficulties follow from having the original package forwarded (and why this would even be an issue with the world’s largest logistics company beats me, If that is where the problem lies)? Was there a VAT/customs issue?

I think you arranging another pickup of the original package at customer’s expense is perfectly reasonable. When ordering the way he did, he must have known and accepted the risk of what in the end did happen.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I can see both sides to this one. On the one hand, shipping replacements to the customer would be outstanding customer service, however you do risk not getting the original package back and it’s additional cost to the vendor to rectify a situation that’s not your fault.

On the other hand if I was on holiday for a fortnight and was quoted 8-18 working days for delivery I’d wait until I got home.
 

Hone

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Thanks for the replies. It certainly isn't a straight froward one. I think I might talk to the parcel room to find out why they can't forward it first. It might not be a parcel room, but more just 'the place where the mail goes'. But I hope that if whoever is in charge is reasonable they should be able to solve it.
 

Hone

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Thanks for the replies, it's certainly not an easy one. I'm getting the impression that it is less of a mail room, and more the room where the mail goes. But either way I am going to try to speak to the person who is in charge to see if they can't help out on this one first :)

Then I will have to decide what action to take. I'll keep you posted (no pun intended)
 

Wilga

Forum GOD!
And I thought I was the only one having trouble with receiving a razor from you due to postal troubles. Hone Ti.
 

Hone

Forum GOD!
Artisan
And I thought I was the only one having trouble with receiving a razor from you due to postal troubles. Hone Ti.
I know I am so sorry, that is crazy given how much I paid UPS to get that to you with their 48 hour world service :unsure: I can only apologize.
 

Wilga

Forum GOD!
There is no need to apologise on this one. There is no way a parcel from Europe could ever get here in 48 hours. If all the arrows lined up the very best one could hope for would be one week. Where I live is remote, like a 700km dirt road to the main road. We do have a weekly barge service that brings in the majority of parcel post and a daily air service but parcels are only carried if they have room and more often than not they forget to unload them. No one complains too much, it's the way of life here. Add to that that the post code services more than one community and you have a recipe for disaster. For normal postage packages from overseas I always allow one month for delivery. Most who read this post will not believe what is written, but you will not be alone, 99% of Australians have no understanding either.
 

Shaver X

Forum GOD!
Most who read this post will not believe what is written, but you will not be alone, 99% of Australians have no understanding either.
Wow, it sounds like you live live in human being land, a good place to be.

There are places that remote in Canada and Alaska, and some of them do not have a dirt road, at least not one that is passable year around. The only practial way to get things into or out of those places is by airplane.
 
D

Deleted member 476

Guest
That is a whole other kind of remote!
Where I live is remote, like a 700km dirt road to the main road.
WOW, I was in Montana, USA earlier this week and freaking out when on a remote paved road at dusk with spotty mobile service, no retail shops, street lights, gas station or anything more than a few cattle ranches for 220km and here I thought, that was remote!
 
Top