Cricket

Gairdner

Forum DOG!
Any lovers of the old leather on willow here? I may be a Scot but have a goodly drop of English blood on my Mother's side and me old Grandad, a Londoner, loved his cricket and played too.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the current test series against Pakistan and find their rise to prominence despite not playing at home for such a long time, a bit of a fairy tale story akin to that of Leicester City FC. Today's play in the third test leaves the match very finely balanced and I had a grand day in the garden clipping and shaping topiary with traditional hand shears and the summery sounds of TMS filtering through. What more could a body want?

So then, any of you good fellows take an interest or even play a bit?

Ben Hunt

I watch - but it usually ends up being non-test stuff (partially just because of what is accessible for viewing) - ODIs, T20 (including IPL).

Gairdner

Forum DOG!
I don't get to watch cricket but am a big fan of the TMS team so I usually listen on 5 Live Sport Extra or radio 4 LW if I'm in the garden.

flobberdob

Forum GOD!
I've really gone off TMS in recent years, it's gone all matey bantz now. The producer Mountford wanted to change things up - make it more modern - the (former) scorer Malcolm Ashton was in our family pub a few years back and told me Mountford wanted to re position it towards younger listeners.

Gairdner

Forum DOG!
Sorry @flobberdob, I still love it. Blowers and his pigeons, Swanny ripping the wee wee out of Ed Smith, Simon Mann and others, Aggers dulcet tones, Boycott's stick of rhubarb, Tuffers & Vaughan. I miss Vic Marks and especially good old CMJ, RIP. Malcolm was good mind but Andrew is first rate on the stats. S'all good from my point of view.

Last edited:

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I didn't find the chance to play when I was younger. It wasn't an option at the state comp I attended and it never dawned on me nor my parents to join the local cricket club as a kid, despite my great-grandfather having played for Kent.

Wish I had though. I got into watching it when doing my GCSEs. I'd have the cricket on whatever terrestrial channel had it while I revised. The following year was the 2005 Ashes.

I know plenty of lads who were heavily involved in cricket. I played hockey and many of my teammates played hockey through the winter before cricket started up again ahead of summer. In final year of university, I shared a student house with hockey boys that overlooked the Sussex county cricket ground in Hove.

So I'm an admiring watcher rather than a player. Most of the watching is done at the village green (along with the weekend paper and a few beers), as we don't do Sky/BT/whoever, and all of the listening is obviously done on TMS.

I too love TMS. Whether I'm working, driving, gardening... I find it entertaining and relaxing at the same time. Good therapy.

Gairdner

Forum DOG!
Couldn't agree more with your last paragraph @Burgundy !

Being a Scot, there's not much exposure to cricket up here and certainly not in school although the town I live in has that rarity for Scotland; a cricket club. Had a go as a lad 'cos I was mates with a boy that played a bit. Thoroughly enjoyed despite making just one run but I had some posh little twat who fancied himself caught and bowled off my only over with the ball. Rest of the time, I spent behind the stumps doing my best as a keeper. Meant to go back but beer, fags and girls got in the way. Especially the former two....:devil:

Lord Fatboy

Forum GOD!
I'm a Scot, but I like the sound of roast beef on linseed. Played cricket at School (left arm seem and the odd chinaman for a laugh), played a few games for Leith Beige.etc. In 2004 I said "We're only a few years away from a test match team!" :confused:. Oi. Have not kept up with it for a while, though watch the Indian league and some 20/20

Ever notice the similarity between modern player and... Pads, helmet, Sword, I mean, bat ?

8b509dd2fcd95fa676d33ea456b4fbc2.jpg

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Why does the English Captain have a Dublin accent?????:eek:
The eligibility rules for Crcket are quite loose and, as Ireland is a second tier nation, players who have already represented them can also represent first tier countries - and also go back to Ireland afterwards (Boyd Rankin is an example).

flobberdob

Forum GOD!
It's not yet got approval but the ICC is looking at creating a test championship that could result in Ireland (as well as Afghanistan) gaining test status in the future. That would be good for world cricket IMO

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I used to be a reasonable right arm medium fast bowler up to my late teens, but a dislocated knee with lasting damage put paid to that. My interest was initially sparked watching Botham and Willis as a 12 year old in 1981 with my father. I still watch when I can, but lack of spare time limits things somewhat.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Played cricket all through primary and secondary school. I love the game, but wasn't any good peaking at the third eleven in Lower Sixth. I haven't played since, but I enjoy watching a match.

KAV

I attended a private Anglican school 4-5-6 grade and learned world football and a bit of cricket from the vicar. Father Murphy was this six foot six former All Ireland member who gave me a valued perspective on the Orangemen community, thus avoiding a lot of nonsense of my own republican ancestry.
Sadly, there was no opportunity to continue but at least know what's going on. Until recent political events we had a large indian community of contract workers ( and a stable permanent one) at the local big pharmaceutical company. Two neighbors played cricket and we would practice a bit until their contracts were not renewed.
I was BRIEFLY involved in Irish Hurling and my USCG commander fancied a Rugby team which I passed on. They went up against a local brit expat club
and were annihilated and after 2 meets disbanded due to the casualty list. I went to watch, saw the other team sporting tshirts reading 'Rugby Players eat their dead' and recited some old C of E prayer of thanks.