Cricket

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Gairdner, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Gairdner

Gairdner Forum DOG!

Any lovers of the old leather on willow here? I may be a Scot but have a goodly drop of English blood on my Mother's side and me old Grandad, a Londoner, loved his cricket and played too.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the current test series against Pakistan and find their rise to prominence despite not playing at home for such a long time, a bit of a fairy tale story akin to that of Leicester City FC. Today's play in the third test leaves the match very finely balanced and I had a grand day in the garden clipping and shaping topiary with traditional hand shears and the summery sounds of TMS filtering through. What more could a body want?

So then, any of you good fellows take an interest or even play a bit?

Lord Fatboy, Nishy and Ben Hunt like this.
  2. Ben Hunt

Ben Hunt Active Member

I watch - but it usually ends up being non-test stuff (partially just because of what is accessible for viewing) - ODIs, T20 (including IPL).

Gairdner likes this.
  3. Gairdner

Gairdner Forum DOG!

I don't get to watch cricket but am a big fan of the TMS team so I usually listen on 5 Live Sport Extra or radio 4 LW if I'm in the garden.

4. flobberdob

flobberdob Forum GOD!

I've really gone off TMS in recent years, it's gone all matey bantz now. The producer Mountford wanted to change things up - make it more modern - the (former) scorer Malcolm Ashton was in our family pub a few years back and told me Mountford wanted to re position it towards younger listeners.

Lord Fatboy likes this.
  5. Gairdner

Gairdner Forum DOG!

Sorry @flobberdob, I still love it. Blowers and his pigeons, Swanny ripping the wee wee out of Ed Smith, Simon Mann and others, Aggers dulcet tones, Boycott's stick of rhubarb, Tuffers & Vaughan. I miss Vic Marks and especially good old CMJ, RIP. Malcolm was good mind but Andrew is first rate on the stats. S'all good from my point of view.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    flobberdob and Burgundy like this.
  6. Burgundy

Burgundy Forum GOD!

I didn't find the chance to play when I was younger. It wasn't an option at the state comp I attended and it never dawned on me nor my parents to join the local cricket club as a kid, despite my great-grandfather having played for Kent.

Wish I had though. I got into watching it when doing my GCSEs. I'd have the cricket on whatever terrestrial channel had it while I revised. The following year was the 2005 Ashes.

I know plenty of lads who were heavily involved in cricket. I played hockey and many of my teammates played hockey through the winter before cricket started up again ahead of summer. In final year of university, I shared a student house with hockey boys that overlooked the Sussex county cricket ground in Hove.

So I'm an admiring watcher rather than a player. Most of the watching is done at the village green (along with the weekend paper and a few beers), as we don't do Sky/BT/whoever, and all of the listening is obviously done on TMS.

I too love TMS. Whether I'm working, driving, gardening... I find it entertaining and relaxing at the same time. Good therapy.

Gairdner likes this.
  7. Gairdner

Gairdner Forum DOG!

Couldn't agree more with your last paragraph @Burgundy !

Being a Scot, there's not much exposure to cricket up here and certainly not in school although the town I live in has that rarity for Scotland; a cricket club. Had a go as a lad 'cos I was mates with a boy that played a bit. Thoroughly enjoyed despite making just one run but I had some posh little twat who fancied himself caught and bowled off my only over with the ball. Rest of the time, I spent behind the stumps doing my best as a keeper. Meant to go back but beer, fags and girls got in the way. Especially the former two....:devil:

Ben Hunt likes this.
  8. Mrchick

Mrchick Handsome Avatar

As I beckon to my translator :p:

Lord Fatboy likes this.
  9. Lord Fatboy

Lord Fatboy Forum GOD!

I'm a Scot, but I like the sound of roast beef on linseed. Played cricket at School (left arm seem and the odd chinaman for a laugh), played a few games for Leith Beige.etc. In 2004 I said "We're only a few years away from a test match team!" :confused:. Oi. Have not kept up with it for a while, though watch the Indian league and some 20/20

Ever notice the similarity between modern player and... Pads, helmet, Sword, I mean, bat ?

8b509dd2fcd95fa676d33ea456b4fbc2.jpg

10. ManicDee

ManicDee Forum GOD!

Why does the English Captain have a Dublin accent?????:eek:

11. The eligibility rules for Crcket are quite loose and, as Ireland is a second tier nation, players who have already represented them can also represent first tier countries - and also go back to Ireland afterwards (Boyd Rankin is an example).

flobberdob likes this.
  12. flobberdob

flobberdob Forum GOD!

It's not yet got approval but the ICC is looking at creating a test championship that could result in Ireland (as well as Afghanistan) gaining test status in the future. That would be good for world cricket IMO

13. SeanC

SeanC Forum GOD!

I used to be a reasonable right arm medium fast bowler up to my late teens, but a dislocated knee with lasting damage put paid to that. My interest was initially sparked watching Botham and Willis as a 12 year old in 1981 with my father. I still watch when I can, but lack of spare time limits things somewhat.

14. Rufusdog

Rufusdog Forum GOD!

Played cricket all through primary and secondary school. I love the game, but wasn't any good peaking at the third eleven in Lower Sixth. I haven't played since, but I enjoy watching a match.

15. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

I attended a private Anglican school 4-5-6 grade and learned world football and a bit of cricket from the vicar. Father Murphy was this six foot six former All Ireland member who gave me a valued perspective on the Orangemen community, thus avoiding a lot of nonsense of my own republican ancestry.
    Sadly, there was no opportunity to continue but at least know what's going on. Until recent political events we had a large indian community of contract workers ( and a stable permanent one) at the local big pharmaceutical company. Two neighbors played cricket and we would practice a bit until their contracts were not renewed.
    I was BRIEFLY involved in Irish Hurling and my USCG commander fancied a Rugby team which I passed on. They went up against a local brit expat club
    and were annihilated and after 2 meets disbanded due to the casualty list. I went to watch, saw the other team sporting tshirts reading 'Rugby Players eat their dead' and recited some old C of E prayer of thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice