Coffee canister / storage recommendations

Discussion in 'Recreation, Hobbies & Interests' started by Batch300, May 8, 2017.

1. Batch300

Batch300 Extraordinarily Uncomplicated

Big savings on a 5 lb bag of a favorite bean (Organic Timor Fair Trade). I can see buying more large bags in the future.

Ideas for canister or storage. I currently have a 1 lb CoffeeVac canister and hoping for something larger. As a guess, 5 lbs should last 6-7 weeks.

2. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

I assume it's roasted coffee beans?
    I'd freeze the coffee and just take out what you need for ~1 week at a time. Otherwise it'll be stale by the bottom of the bag. I buy 1.5kg and freeze the bags I'm not going to be using that week.

Batch300 likes this.
  3. halvor

halvor Esquire

^^^ Defo what he said.

Optimal solution includes keeping the beans under vacuum.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Batch300 likes this.
  4. Normally I drink 5lbs of coffee per day so storage for me is not a problem! :roflmao:
    OK, just a joke..however to play devil's advocate just a little I was told that you should never freeze coffee beans, due to the balance of moisture within the coffee bean. Freezing the beans would affect the levels and thus affect the delicate and aromatic flavours. Now whether this is the case or not I don't know.. (I am no expert) but I store mine in two airtight containers in a cool, dark cupboard. But the most I have bought at any one time is 1 Kg.

I bet you could buy a giant airtight container..just my useless input anyway..

Good luck!

Batch300 likes this.
  5. 773badger

773badger Active Member

I’ve seen a vacuum canister on Amazon. Looks pretty good but maybe a touch expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Batch300

Batch300 Extraordinarily Uncomplicated

I have started buying 5 lb bags as approx. $4 a pound savings. Each order is roasted as purchased and I will accept some degradation for the last 1-2 lbs. I have a 5 lb and a 1 lb container.

Coffee sites seem divided on freezing with proponents for and against. All sites seem to agree on air-tight container, cool, dry & dark place, plus store in smaller containers (like 1 - 2 weeks of coffee) if possible. Oxygen, heat, light, and moisture will degrade coffee beans.

7. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Senior Member

I bought a Coffee Gator canister of the medium size which holds a pound of coffee, closes up real tight and has a vent that allows the CO2 gas produced by the beans to escape while keeping oxygen out. I see lots of others offered by other companies that look almost identical so don't know if they are different. Who knows. They could all be made in the same factory in China. But the 1 pound size works for me since I make enough for a couple cups in the morning in a french press for myself since the wife doesn't drink coffee. On weekends my son likes to have a cup so I'll make a little more. That will last me about a month I guess, maybe a little less. I'm beginning to consider a manual espresso maker (Cafelat Robot) and would need a different canister to store the espresso beans. And I can stop buying the canned italian style ground espresso that I've been using for the Mokka Pot and instead grind for that as well as the Cafelat. Yeah, a canister is a necessity. I try not to freeze my coffee because I've read it can do things to the delicate beans that messes with the ultimate flavor and taste. So I only buy a pound at a time.

8. ronald

ronald Well-Known Member

From what I have read and experienced, freezing preserves coffee beans very well if done properly. I have stored coffee in the freezer for months without impacting the flavours or freshness of the coffee. The coffee is preserved so well after I freeze it that it still produces carbon dioxide after months of freezing, and still has its clear tasting notes (e.g. your beans that have blueberry tasting notes still keep that flavour after months of freezing). The freshness of a batch of coffee can be partly demonstrated by how much it blooms when you make filter coffee. By blooming I mean producing carbon dioxide gas and bubbling up like this when hot water is added to it, as shown below:

[​IMG]

Coffee that is freshly roasted does this, stale coffee tends not to bloom this way.

I can tell how successful the freezing process is because my coffee that has been in the freezer for months blooms this way when I brew it, like it was roasted 3-4 days ago.

For freezing to work without spoiling flavours, the coffee needs to be stored in a true airtight container. A mason canning jar shut tightly or a vacuum canister work, the bags the coffee came in may not work so well. Store the coffee in quantities that will last 1-2 weeks.

The second important part of the process is the defrosting. When removing the coffee container with 2 weeks-worth of beans, it is important to let it defrost at room temperature over several hours (I usually let the container defrost at least 8 hours overnight, to be used the next morning) without removing the lid and the airtight seal. It is important to keep the lid shut during the defrosting process to not let moisture from the air outside the container condense on the ice-cold beans, making them wet and spoiling the freshness of the beans. The air in the container is the only air that should be in contact with the beans.

Once thoroughly defrosted, use the beans as normal without refreezing them.

As an additional step, I also put packets of oxygen absorbers and silica gel in the mason jars with my coffee beans when I freeze them.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  9. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

+1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice